Anyone use 2 elk camps?

Lou Sid

FNG
So I went on my first archery elk hunt last year and we road camped. Had a great hunt, but often wished we could stay up on the mountain for the night. Has anyone ever setup a road camp and also a spike camp several miles in, and hunted between the two for 7-10 days?

OP
Lou Sid

Lou Sid

FNG
Would you leave your spike camp gear in the woods the whole time, maybe moving it once or so throughout the hunt? I'm really leaning towards doing this this fall.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sure. A base Camp at the trucks keeps you mobile until you find elk. If you find them and they are in deep, then spiking in that area until you either tag out or run them out saves a whole bunch of unnecessary miles. My spike camps are minimalist, my base camps are comfy. I enjoy both for very different reasons.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Would you leave your spike camp gear in the woods the whole time, maybe moving it once or so throughout the hunt? I'm really leaning towards doing this this fall.
No. Spike camp pretty much stays on my back.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Yep,I hike in multiple camps,stash them before the season and bounce around depending on Elk movement.

OP
Lou Sid

Lou Sid

FNG
Thanks guys. I'm taking the old man out next year so we won't be able to get too crazy as far as spiking, but for the spot we hunt, I think a nice basecamp along with very minimal spike camp gear will do the trick. We can start out in the basecamp and after a couple days, bring a tarp/sleeping bag, little extra food and water, and spike for a day or 2, and keep switching back and forth depending on the action. Should work well!