Non-resident big game tag drawing

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Not really.
Higher PP units are desired for more than just the trophy animals.
When hunter numbers are reduced/limited, the overall hunt experience is greater too

So guys are saving up points for years just so they can have a little more solitude on their hunt for one season? Not sure I buy that...

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't agree with most point systems what so ever, and view some of these trophy units as a black eye to the hunting community, though I do try to harvest the biggest animal I can, I don't do so with my pocket book.

That said I'm just getting into the points game, knowing very well I may never draw one of the high point units in any state. It scares me to think what may happen in years to come. I'm sure I'll eventually be priced out, sadly. The middle class, diy hunter is losing.

cnelk

WKR
So guys are saving up points for years just so they can have a little more solitude on their hunt for one season? Not sure I buy that...

Up to you...

Ive played the PP game for a couple decades.

Once I used 7 deer PP on a 3 PP unit and had one of the most memorable hunts ever.

WRO

WKR
I don't agree with most point systems what so ever, and view some of these trophy units as a black eye to the hunting community, though I do try to harvest the biggest animal I can, I don't do so with my pocket book.

That said I'm just getting into the points game, knowing very well I may never draw one of the high point units in any state. It scares me to think what may happen in years to come. I'm sure I'll eventually be priced out, sadly. The middle class, diy hunter is losing.
How? I'm failing to understand your logic..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR

This is exactly why I save points. I don't care much about the size of animals I'm hunting, but I want to have a quality hunt when I get a tag and use my vacation time. I can only do 1-2 hunts a year so I build points in various states so that I have options available to me every year other than crowded OTC hunts. I'll never shoot a 350" elk, but I should have some darn fun hunts and good memories. That said, I still think point systems are B.S.

Lawnboi

WKR
How? I'm failing to understand your logic..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

People just getting in are behind the ball for most of the highly regarded units in many instances.
Price is skyrocketing, and chances are dwindling.
The value of the head gear an animal carries seems to have precedence over all other aspects.

I'm still playing though. But just for an oppritunity to hunt in the future not necessarily to draw a coveted unit.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
People just getting in are behind the ball for most of the highly regarded units in many instances.

I have no problem with this ^^^. Ignore the highly regarded units and choose something else. Or apply for one of those highly regarded units in a lottery state and enjoy the 1% chance at a tag. The bottom line is........when you have 1000+ times the number of people wanting those tags versus the number of tags, there is no system that rewards every one of those people........except the OTC system. Take advantage of those while you still can.

I've been hunting elk in CO since 1980, and the most elk points I have ever had was 3. I worked a bull for 20 minutes a few years ago before a ML hunter worked in and shot him, that bull taped out at 380. I've had multiple opportunities on 350"+ bulls, and have taken quite a few nice bulls even in OTC units. And in all those years, I have never had a bad elk season.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I have no problem with this ^^^. Ignore the highly regarded units and choose something else. Or apply for one of those highly regarded units in a lottery state and enjoy the 1% chance at a tag. The bottom line is........when you have 1000+ times the number of people wanting those tags versus the number of tags, there is no system that rewards every one of those people........except the OTC system. Take advantage of those while you still can.

I've been hunting elk in CO since 1980, and the most elk points I have ever had was 3. I worked a bull for 20 minutes a few years ago before a ML hunter worked in and shot him, that bull taped out at 380. I've had multiple opportunities on 350"+ bulls, and have taken quite a few nice bulls even in OTC units. And in all those years, I have never had a bad elk season.

My exact plan. I will more than Likly never bank too many points.

cnelk

WKR
As cheap as PPs are to get, its not a bad idea to have a few in your 'pocket'.
You just ever know when/if you'll need them.

For instance - the next 5 Year Season Structure is coming up. What if the the CPW turns 'your' OTC unit into a draw unit.
Its happened

I do this exact thing. I hunt for the experience in most cases. I have some points I'm holding out for a trophy unit but most my points are used to draw units with few tags regardless of trophy potential.