Wolves eating bear

PredatorX

WKR
I came across an article published here in WI, that mentions wolves have been known to pull black bears out of hibernation and eat them. I thought this was pretty interesting. Have any of you witnessed or seen this? Wondering how common it is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Very interesting read for sure. I also heard from I think Sue Aikens on the JRE podcast (which is really good) that she witnessed a pack run down a grizzly. I think she said they just ran him down to exhaustion.

Less black bears and more wolves around some of the parts of BC I hunt over the past few years. That said, we have plenty of both!

johnsd16

WKR
Remember a lot of bears are pretty small. Also, if they find a sleeping one they can’t just snap out of it on a whim, they are pretty helpless. We’ve knocked into a few pheasant hunting in December/January in MN/WI and also first spring turkey seasons or shed hunting there too. Some are so dopey you could put a dog collar on them. I’d bet the wolves that do it have expertise and a pattern. Like orcas that specialize in seals on the beach or washing them off icebergs. Specific, specialized learned hunting tactics that are handed down within the pod/pack. From their standpoint a winter bear is a pretty big meal during a tough time to find calories. I’ve never seen a kill or seen it happen but have found wolf scat in the spring out beaver trapping when ice is still on in Mn that had really long black fur in it that I supposed would have to be bear. Just one time.

I’d buy it. Would you rather go up against a griz or a wolf pack?

Holding my 6 round S&W 329PD revolver I think I'd rather fend off wolves who would lose interest once the first one drops. A bear might still kill ya with six .44 slugs in it...especially a brown.

colonel00

WKR
I’d buy it. Would you rather go up against a griz or a wolf pack?

Exactly. A single enemy is "easier" to defend against than a group of which most may be unseen. There is a reason that pack (and pride) animals have survived and adapted their hunting strategies.

I know a guy who is senior multi species veteranairan at the Bronx zoo. Every time I see him I am like - could a chimpanzee beat up a cheetah? What if you gave the chimp a knife? I basically ask him to set betting odds on my fantasy animal fight club and pepper him with questions nonstop. For some reason I think he thinks I am an idiot.

These are important questions, John. I need to know these things.

Last edited:
Sold a rifle to a guy that had a neighbor in IFG, they took him out in winter chasing cats and they came across a den that had been raided by a pack. Evidence was splayed out all over the snow. Since then ive heard from multiple sources that its pretty common. Never seen it myself though so take that as you will. Makes the bear i shot last year that was pushing 30yrs old seem like an amazingly smart/ lucky specimen.

Did y’all listen to the meat eater episode a while back about Black bears hibernating way up in the tops of trees or climbing way up in a tree and then all the way back down to the bottom inside a hollowed out tree. I think the study was done in the Smokies but these bears would be protected from wolves by doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
That's a smart old bruin. Nature is simply amazing. I'd rather watch nature then these a holes on TV nowadays. They certainly could teach us a lot more.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a buddy in north west Montana that sent me pics of as I recall 9 wolves in the spring laid out in snow with a treed bear beneath them. How long did this play out?

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
That's unreal! Post them up if you have them.

VernAK

WKR
Wolves can give bears a rough time.....even few wolves against an adult grizzly.

Friends keep a couple Kirilian [sp?] dogs that run bears out of the neighborhood without problem but when a couple wolves came through,
that was it for the dogs.

No bear is a match for a pack of wolves. Especially when Hibernating.

I’ve read several times the wild dogs of Africa were the most efficient killers. Meaning they killed their prey with less chances, then any other predators. Put 50 pounds on them and nothing would be safe over there. That’s what a wolf is. Put a pack of them together and there is nothing on this continent they couldn’t kill easily if they under took the task. They are the top of the food chain considering wild predators. God Bless