Conundrum..

Can you shoot a bow? You can likely squeeze in a summer archery hunt with OTC tags. After the birth you're hunting days are gone for a while if ya wanna be a responsible husband and dad.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
molliesmaster, when is the due date. There are hunts from Aug-Jan depending on what/where you want to hunt, no reason you can't get out in the fall at some point if that is your desire. Just don't do too close.

This year I felt a strong urge to put meat in the freezer, not sure if it was triggered by being a new dad or not. I had so much fun tagging out on local hunts because I felt like a "provider". Have any of you other parents felt that way?

I started hunting to fill that urge and its my primary drive every season to ensure the freezer is full (which is an increasing demand as the kids are growing). I take more pride in the 7yrs and counting I've covered our meat needs than any antlers on the walls.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats mate,

My wife and I are expecting our first in June. We were planning on having ours so we did work around not having one in April (southern hemisphere rut). Was lucky to get that through!

I wouldn't stress, just like my brother with two kids your priorities will change but you'll still be able to hunt.

Think about all the birthday hunts you'll get to take your kid on, mum can't say no to that!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Crusty

FNG
I didn't mean to convene a meeting of the self-righteous today fellas.

Maybe my post was misconstrued. It's sad that I have to explain myself like this, but I'll try it again.

I'm not upset my wife is pregnant, nor am I trying to dodge my responsibilities. The whole reason I mentioned the spring bear hunt was because it was the only way to make it out west and still be home with my wife and child pre/post birth, which I don't want to miss. I also know that once the child is born, it will be that much harder to leave because I will be infatuated with him or her. Creating this thread was a nice way to talk about it with somebody, because I can't tell anybody I really know yet.

I really thought this was a hunting forum full of men who understood some tongue in cheek kind of talk mixed in with the details.

Congratulations - another different big adventure.

Don't worry, thats pretty much the way I read it.
Its the internet and words - people don't know you and the there's no tone or body language to gauge the "tongue in cheek" bit. Everyone will read it differently - and in the end, those that are posting with the a bit of concern over your priorities are showing they have their priorities right too.

Sounds like you've got your priorities right.

Oh and whatever you plan on doing - make it flexible. Mine were both a little late and and if I had anything planned in the first few months I would have had to cancel cause the first few months were pretty sleepless for both of us.

Crusty

Bring your wife and kid out to SW Colorado with you and I’ll take you hunting and your wife and infant can run around with my family. Everyone wins.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one thinking that a kick down a long flight of stairs is in order? It's hunting season, ain't nobody got time for that.

*kidding.

**also single. just sayin'...

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one thinking that a kick down a long flight of stairs is in order? It's hunting season, ain't nobody got time for that.

*kidding.

**also single. I'm not sure why...

Tell the wife she better keep that bun in the oven and over cook it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Congrats! My first was born Oct 25th, I still went elk hunting for 2 weeks that Sep. My second I planned a little better or tried and he was born Jul 27th, I still went hunting that Sep.

Where I really messed up was allowing our wedding to be in the fall and even worse on Sep 12th, in 9 years I’ve been home for 3 anniversaries.

Also I would give up anything for my kids, best thing to have happened to me was to become a father.

Last edited:

mlucashr

FNG
I have 4 kids. And I’ll say right up front an amazing wife. I explained to her right off the bat that eventually she was going to be by herself because the kids would be hunting and fishing with me. They are still young. 10,8,5, and 2. But the older 3 fish all summer with me and love to go scouting with me. Congratulations! Your life will never be the same.

SWOHTR

WKR
Congrats! We had our first in June. He’s the light of our lives!

I made it out a lot last season. It was not hard, just required honest and early conversation.

You don’t have to give up your passions just because you had a kid. You just have to set reasonable expectations and be flexible.

Agross

WKR
Dont assume anything. Ours were due in September and showed up in june. Also never assume there's just one.

This. Never forget when my wife came home with a weird look on her face and said there's two. Don't think I moved or talked for about ten minutes. They are a riot. Good luck on whatever hunt you choose and congrats.

xcutter

WKR
Same thing happened to me last year. That ended the planned Elk hunt last year. So instead I went on a spring turkey hunt to Texas.

I feel your pain. LOL. But it will be worth the sacrifice when you get your child in your hands. Congrats.