Conundrum..

Well fellas (and ladies..), I may have screwed the pooch. Seems like my wife might be pregnant with our first child. I say might because she hasn't been to the doctor yet, just know that she missed that special time of the month a few weeks back and that over priced pee stick had two pink lines.

If you can't tell, it was definitely an accident. It was DEFINITELY not my plan to have a child in September-October time frame, which is her due date based on simple math. This just so happens to be the year that I was actually going out west. That doesn't look to be likely anymore.

At this point, should the pregnancy take, I think my only viable option is a spring bear hunt. I don't just want to get out west this year, I need too. Been planning for way too long. Even missed a trip last year due to a buddy bailing last minute, longer story than this one. I know, with our income and schedules, it will be even more difficult to go with a new born/infant. So this seems like my only shot, at least for a couple of years.

What do I do?

gumbl3

WKR
Take your wife on a summer vacation.. I can't even explain how hard my wife works since we had our child, especially that first year.. don't have to hunt to get out west and enjoy

Congratulations in advance. Your in for an adventure worth a million Western hunts. My suggestion is try to sneak in an August hunt antelope or muleys. Plan on spending as much time with the family when the baby comes, you won't regret it. You can get a antelope hunt in and back in a week. Focus on priorities, and enjoy it.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
nut up. i missed a trip the year my daughter was born. i pouted for a bit then realized how selfish i was acting and made the best of it. having a baby is a way bigger deal than a hunting trip. just be 100% clear (starting now) that birthday parties will be scheduled as to not interfere with hunting season. the birth is a big deal, birthday parties are not.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! Seems like you may have screwed more than the pooch...

If you "need" as you say to go hunt out west, I would see about getting family involved to help out during a deer rifle hunt(November). My second son was born on September 25th, luckily I wasn't bow hunting(hiking) yet. That year I did a Montana rifle hunt opening weekend(end of October) and then returned three weeks later to fill my tags. The way I worked it out with my wife was taking her to her grandparents to be with her grandma, while I went hunting with her grandpa. Something my wife always brings up, the reason for my return, is opening day I got a frantic radio message from my father-in-law telling me to get service and call my wife. Our son was in the ER with viral meningitis, I flew home that night. She had been told by a doc(with pretty crappy bedside manor) that she would be leaving with a dead baby or one severely handicapped. Fortunately he ended up being fine and she let me go back three weeks later. Which my wife brings up, everyone in the house got the flu while I was gone.

All that to say, is lean on your support network. Especially, if it's someone your wife really enjoys or can make it a special time for your wife and new baby. Something else to think about, spend as much time as you can with your family immediately postpartum. Try and take 2 weeks just to be with your wife and new baby, you won't regret it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When is the due date? There are hunts starting in Aug that go into Dec (and even Jan) depending on the state/weapon/species. Avoid the due date window (+/- 4weeks) and bring in family to help if you still want to hunt this season.

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
Congrats! You accident will become your biggest blessing in 9 short months.

It sounds like a late season cow elk hunt might be right up your alley. Beware of going early. Neither you are your wife will be able to relax while you are away if she's afraid of going into labor. Maternity leave is your friend here. Try to sneak out of the house for a few days a couple of weeks before she has to go back to work.

Your life is about to get hectic, expensive, but REALLY fun. Enjoy!

JWP58

WKR
Dont assume anything. Ours were due in September and showed up in june. Also never assume there's just one.

Congratulations!

I have had several friends who have had kids before they had planned and every one of them is smitten. Your priorities will change leading up to the birth and will change radically after. Now that I have a baby of my own I wish my wife and I would have started earlier. I took a week of work not because my wife needed help but because I couldn't pull myself away. It's obviously a huge shift in my ability to participate in hobbies but its not something I grieve.

I went on a 10 day elk hunt when my son was less than 3 months old and my wife handled it like a champ. It will likely be a few years before I build enough wife points to do another trip of that magnitude but it's what happens when you're responsible for a family.

This year I felt a strong urge to put meat in the freezer, not sure if it was triggered by being a new dad or not. I had so much fun tagging out on local hunts because I felt like a "provider". Have any of you other parents felt that way?

mt100gr.

WKR
A family friend always asks "What were you TRYING to do?" When people use the word accident.

Grown-up actions have grown up consequences, daddy. Family first.

I have 3 daughters, all on purpose. I wouldn't change anything about it. The west is here when you can get away. For now, deal with responsibility and don't miss your child's birth. Calendars are great but when it's time, that baby doesn't care what day it's supposed to arrive.

I found out last Friday that I'm in the same boat as you. At first I didn't believe the pee stick, but it's been confirmed by a couple blood tests. Rough due date is looking like October 11th. I have an app in for a general tag in Wyoming, and 3 different cow hunts in October, which could all be at risk.

My plan is to hunt the 1st week in September if I draw the general tag. Otherwise it's going to be a waiting game to see on the 3 cow hunts. For AZ and NM I'll be looking at some different late season hunts. And if all else fails, I'm going to get a leftover cow tag in WY for a December cow hunt.

boom

WKR
Well fellas (and ladies..), I may have screwed the pooch.

bad choice of words..:D

first CONGRATS. kids wasnt in our cards, so from that perspective; i would love to be in your shoes. i think #1, it is good you are thinking ahead..life is gonna get blowed up here shortly for you..but i think you wont care.

run with it.

Scoot

WKR
Well fellas (and ladies..), I may have screwed the pooch. Seems like my wife might be pregnant with our first child.
What do I do?

Are you saying your wife is a pooch? :)

As for what do you do... you first realize that your post reflects your messed up priorities and that instead of looking for sympathy and resolution you should have been looking for congratulations and encouragement. A first kid is good news, not bad news for your fall hunting. It obviously is not ideal news for this coming falls goof off time, but that doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

I'm only saying this because I once explained a "good news/bad news scenario" to a buddy and the good news was I had drawn a good elk tag, but the bad news was my wife was due on Sep. 2nd. So I was in your shoes once too and I had a similarly screwed up view of the whole thing. Hopefully my experience helps you see things a little more clearly. I had some friends point out to me just how stupidly I was viewing things, and they were right. Good luck!

While definitelty a sacrifice, and I've dealt with it myself, I'd say you don't know how much joy you will receive from parenthood. Because this situation rings so close to home, I'm happy to share a really good bear location in Idaho if you are interested. It'll work out brother.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
*gasp*

You broke the cardinal rule, you're supposed to always plan pregnancies, weddings, special events, and deaths in the family around hunting seasons!!

Live2hunt custom shelters

Last edited:
OP
M
I didn't mean to convene a meeting of the self-righteous today fellas.

Maybe my post was misconstrued. It's sad that I have to explain myself like this, but I'll try it again.

I'm not upset my wife is pregnant, nor am I trying to dodge my responsibilities. The whole reason I mentioned the spring bear hunt was because it was the only way to make it out west and still be home with my wife and child pre/post birth, which I don't want to miss. I also know that once the child is born, it will be that much harder to leave because I will be infatuated with him or her. Creating this thread was a nice way to talk about it with somebody, because I can't tell anybody I really know yet.

I really thought this was a hunting forum full of men who understood some tongue in cheek kind of talk mixed in with the details.

I was in a similar situation this past year. My first kid was due on September 12th and came on September 8th. Before I found out my wife was pregnant, I had a plan for an archery pronghorn, archery elk, rifle elk, and rifle deer in CO. So my plans went out the door and I focused on later rifle tags. I ended up going on 4 trips this past year. Below is the season dates and amount of time I spent away from my wife and daughter.

2nd Season: October 21 - 29 (Went a total of 2 days, 2nd weekend was my daughter's baptism)
3rd Season: November 4 - 12 (Went a total of 4 days)
4th Season: November 15 - 19 (5 straight days by myself with no cell coverage)
AZ Tag: December 1 - 7 (Went a total of 2 days, brothers elk hunt)

Looking back at last year, I'd say it was a crazy four months. I got hardly any sleep, but I was either at home spending time with my daughter/wife or doing what I love. I cut two of the trips short by a day or two. One was because we filled our tags early and the other was because my wife was returning to work. I was going to be gone on the day she went back to work - not smart.

My advise, talk to your wife about what she is comfortable with. Some moms aren't bothered by taking care of a baby by themselves for the weekend, and some couldn't imagine their husband being gone. Figure out where she is on that scale and go from there. I for one, could not imagine not going on at least one elk and deer hunt a year.

boom

WKR
I didn't mean to convene a meeting of the self-righteous today fellas.

Maybe my post was misconstrued. It's sad that I have to explain myself like this, but I'll try it again.

I'm not upset my wife is pregnant, nor am I trying to dodge my responsibilities. The whole reason I mentioned the spring bear hunt was because it was the only way to make it out west and still be home with my wife and child pre/post birth, which I don't want to miss. I also know that once the child is born, it will be that much harder to leave because I will be infatuated with him or her. Creating this thread was a nice way to talk about it with somebody, because I can't tell anybody I really know yet.

I really thought this was a hunting forum full of men who understood some tongue in cheek kind of talk mixed in with the details.

i didnt get that at all. i would crap myself if i was gonna have a first kid. :)

i live out west..if i could help in anyway after the kid..let me know. i might be too far west tho..