Going to Church

Idaho's reduced price disabled veteran tags have convinced me that I need to give Idaho a try this year, so I'm going to Church... the Frank Church Wilderness, that is. (7-year AF vet with 3 overseas deployments for conflicts in Afghanistan & Libya)

I love DIY wilderness hunting and have experience in Colorado's West Elks and Montana's Bob Marshall, but I've never been to Idaho or the Frank Church. What's unique to the area I should know for a trip in mid- to late-September? Sounds like I should be aware of rattlers and likelihood of mo'skeeters but brown bears aren't a thing there. Do I need to brush up on technical rock climbing before this trip? Are there areas that are or are not frequented by cattle grazing leases (I couldn't find a grazing rotation map)? Do the airstrips see a lot of traffic in September? I've been looking all over the map and have keyed in on a few access spots at opposite ends of the wilderness, so I'm just looking for general advice to help me narrow down where I'm looking, or to at least set reasonable expectations.

Me and one buddy will be walking in for a week, no stock. Elk are the primary target, but will also carry a deer tag because you just never know...

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best words of advice..........go by a stairmaster and use it about 12 hours a day.:)
Rough, remote and rugged.
But.......some of the best and scenic country you will ever see. All depends on where you go, but you'll have one hell of a hunt.

Randy

Everything ^ he said. It's crazy country. I don't think there is any cattle grazing happening in the wilderness there. It's not very game rich because of the predation and rocky terrain. Low deer and elk numbers in general. Most nonresident hunters in the area don't do very well. The roads are really rocky and gnarly. I'd really think about whether that's where you'd want to go. There are many other areas that are less rugged and likely how to more deer and elk.

OP
M
That's what I've read. It's as much about the wilderness experience and getting away from people as it is the hunt for me. I like the added challenge. And I really like the solitude of the wilderness. That's why I'm curious to know how many planes fly in/out of the airstrips. I'd also like to know if there are any trail routes that are known for heavy stock use---areas I'd just as soon avoid.

You seem pretty set on it. You have to want the physical challenge and value the wilderness character. You're going to want to get away from most trails that can be accessed by vehicle. I'd really recommend an airstrip in the early season. Every report I've read from an early season fly in hunt is lots of solitude, assuming they can hack the super steep climb out of the river basin (we're talking 30 degree grade for a mile or two). It's hard to climb 2 or 3k feet to get to where the game are in September but you have less competition. You want to look for high meadows and grass in the upper basins or ridges, the heads of creeks, old burns.

If you'd like, PM me when you get closer to making your plan and I can tell you as a local whether it sounds good. Talk to a couple of the other guys here that hunt it too. Sharing info on hunts in a unique place like that is helpful.

I'd still really question whether you really want to do this though. There's lots of Idaho backcountry that's wilderness or basically wilderness that isn't so rugged and geographically isolated.

If you've done the Bob Marshall, you can hack the Frank Church. Plan caerfully, stay away from trailheads that can be accessed by vehicle, and use the terrain to help you. Most of all, take your time. Animals blend in to the dry, muted colors of the Frank. Don't go further than you need to.

ethan

WKR
Snag a copy of “2003 Days; 21 Years In The Frank Church Wilderness”by Jim and Holly Akenson. Great book and fantastic people, it’ll be a great appetite teaser for your trip!

530Chukar

WKR
Goodluck. I started to plan a trip in there a couple years but ultimately chose to go into Colorado instead soley based on the elk numbers. Stay away from the airstrips, everyone that I spoke with said that they turn into small cities during the hunting season. Your best bet is to hike in on a trailhead around 5 miles. You'll be further than the day hikers but not as deep as the packers.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snag a copy of “2003 Days; 21 Years In The Frank Church Wilderness”by Jim and Holly Akenson. Great book and fantastic people, it’ll be a great appetite teaser for your trip!

Ethan, thanks for the heads up on that book.........just ordered it from the amazon. I did have trouble finding it as it is actually 7003 days instead of 2003 days. Looking forward to the read. Gonna be in there this year.......can hardly friggin wait!

Randy

Broomd

WKR
As was stated: Good. Luck.

Some of us have vast experience in the F.C. Brutal heat, 8-10K elevation, rough terrain, lack of water, fire, smoke and lack of game make this a very fulfilling hunt. :D Imagine hunting on Mars.

Pic of my tough-assed wife w/me on the trail in the Frank '12...
61BaAIx.jpg

OP
M
Goodluck. I started to plan a trip in there a couple years but ultimately chose to go into Colorado instead soley based on the elk numbers. Stay away from the airstrips, everyone that I spoke with said that they turn into small cities during the hunting season. Your best bet is to hike in on a trailhead around 5 miles. You'll be further than the day hikers but not as deep as the packers.

That's what I was afraid of. I was planning to hike in ~10 miles, which would potentially put me not too far from an airstrip. Thanks for the verification.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's what I was afraid of. I was planning to hike in ~10 miles, which would potentially put me not too far from an airstrip. Thanks for the verification.
I'm not sure how much traffic will be on some of that airstrips in September, but the November rifle hunts they for sure get crowded. I've got a buddy who flies in to chukar hunt every year in late October, and he says it's tent city for the rut deer hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Hate to be a debbie downer....but there is a reason this is the only OTC September rifle Elk hunt in the state....it's hard as hell.

I've spent 10-15 days in various parts of the Frank and have yet to lay eyes on an Elk.

That said, it's a bad ass and wild place, always an adventure. If that's what your going for, then go for it!! I do know guys who have shot bulls on that hunt, so it can certainly be done!

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I took a bull and a buck in the Frank this fall on foot. It can be done, but Broomd does not lie it is rough country.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have some ridges marked in my GPS in the Church. They say "never again". Once I dragged myself up to the top I didn't see any bears, which was what I was looking for, and I could see a ton of country. I looked back down, and said "I'm not coming back up to this spot ever again". Amazing country, I'll be back in there this year. It gets in your blood.

young7.3

WKR
My father and several friends have been elk hunting the church for 15-20 years (from Indiana). I've went 4 times (twice in high school while I was a youth). Game was definitely more plentiful back in the 1990s but there still are opportunities there. Sounds like you are on the right mindset if the adventure is more important than killing a bull. I would recommend picking up a bear and wolf tag because they are cheap in September. We have killed multiple bears before and then go an entire trip without seeing one. It's a crap shoot. Remember, you can shoot a mule deer with your elk tag if an opportunity presents itself. Check out my YouTube and Instagram page for pictures and videos from The Church. Feel free to PM me for more information. Good luck and take lots of pictures!!!!

Hunted there last September. All four of us took Muleys... Like the others said ...very tough and rugged area. Be prepared for snow...we had ~16" on September 20th

OP
M
I'm not sure how much traffic will be on some of that airstrips in September, but the November rifle hunts they for sure get crowded. I've got a buddy who flies in to chukar hunt every year in late October, and he says it's tent city for the rut deer hunt.

Ah, man! That's definitely not what I want. I imagine the main trails are also overrun with pack horses? Being the adventurous solitary type, I like to take the path less traveled.