Red Stag Hunting in Argentina @ Poitahue

Long time lurker. I really appreciate this site and all I've learned over the years. Looking to see if I can learn a bit more. I am an avid bowhunter here in Oklahoma that makes it to Colorado to chase elk (usually during rifle) whenever possible. My Brother in law invited me on one of those Argentina dove hunts that you always hear about and the lodge has a partnership with the Estancia Poitahue for free range Red Stag hunts. Their site says this place is run by pro bowhunters and there are videos of Jim and Eva Shockey spending time there. Our dove hunt corresponds with the 'roar' (rut) and I am thinking about booking a hunt.

Estancia Poitahue – Hunting Ranch

Anyone know anything about this outfit or free range hunting in Argentina. I want nothing to do with high fence hunting and am being told by the dove lodge and booking agent that this is legit free range hunting. Their videos look legit but videos can be tricky. It looks like a blast but I want as much info as possible.

Scottyboy

WKR
I did a free range hunt in the la pampa region a few years back, didn’t pull the trigger on a red stag but got a boar, black buck, buffalo and missed a puma. Yes, they did have a high fence area for red stag but I simply didn’t hunt in it. All in all it was a great trip, Buenos Aires was a little sketchy the night I flew in, but during the day it was fabulous. I will eventually go back to Patagonia after I knock off a bucket list hunt or 2

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a bunch of pics of the animals I harvested and the landscape in general (at least the region I was hunting)

Merc

FNG
I did a free range Stag hunt just outside of Santa Rosa last April. Had a blast, and like Scotty said, most places if they aren't fully high fenced they have a high fenced place with deer in it. We hunted a section that used to be fenced and had a blast, caught the tail end of the roar and saw deer every day.

From their About Us page;

"El Monasterio ranch also runs a 4,500 acres preserve with trophy game for several species. This preserve area is a key aspect of our free range quality management program."

Sounds like they raise them in a high fence area then turn them out to hunt.