Secretary Zinke signs order prioritizing big game migration corridors

HookUp

WKR
Cameron Hanes talked about this on the latest JRE podcast. Sounds like Cam mentioned the issue to Zinke and got some traction, very cool.

i read the document and while it all sounds awesome I could not see that it had any teeth at all. I hope i am wrong. I would love to see it have a positive impact and any attempts to improve big game habitat I applaud. I cannot help be skeptical though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
i read the document and while it all sounds awesome I could not see that it had any teeth at all. I hope i am wrong. I would love to see it have a positive impact and any attempts to improve big game habitat I applaud. I cannot help be skeptical though.
Did you read anything about it also reducing ranchers public lands grazing fees? I've head that was included but haven't seen the whole deal myself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did you read anything about it also reducing ranchers public lands grazing fees? I've head that was included but haven't seen the whole deal myself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I read it and I did not see anything about grazing fees. It does establish a Categorical exclusion for projects to enhance deer and sage grouse habitat which will help project clear NEPA hurdles. It also establishes some funding, and directs to find ways to avoid development in migration corridors, but again it doesnt seem to have any teeth. It calls for volunteer efforts by land owners and agency cooperation and a lot of touchy feel good stuff. Glad it puts some of these issues on the table. I hope it can have some traction.

"U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Friday that he’s taking steps to study and preserve habitat and migration corridors in Western states for big-game animals such as elk, mule and deer, a move that hunters and some experts applauded but that critics called an effort to cover up damage."

So, which states are opening up a mule season?

Mules; not just for packing.

OP
MuleDeerMike
"U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Friday that he’s taking steps to study and preserve habitat and migration corridors in Western states for big-game animals such as elk, mule and deer, a move that hunters and some experts applauded but that critics called an effort to cover up damage."

So, which states are opening up a mule season?

Mules; not just for packing.
I caught that too. You think the guy who wrote the article has ever hunted before? Haha.

gbflyer

WKR
Good for him.

I'm at my limit with all the folks who "resist" and criticize every little thing this administration does. It's like the passengers are rooting for the pilots to crash the plane.

Sorry about that. Back to the regular schedule now....

Schaaf

WKR
Looking forward to seeing some action on that front. As of now it’s just words on paper but I’m optimistic.

2ski

WKR
Good for him.

I'm at my limit with all the folks who "resist" and criticize every little thing this administration does. It's like the passengers are rooting for the pilots to crash the plane.

Sorry about that. Back to the regular schedule now....
Every administration has seen this. Obama had all sorts of people that wouldn't admit to him doing anything good. And I'm about to my limit with people that can't find anything wrong with what this administration does. Ever. Finds any excuse to latch onto and support it. Can't do anything wrong and gives support for stupid reasons that don't have anything to do with the policy being discussed. And there were people like that with Obama too. Too many sheep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Every administration has seen this. Obama had all sorts of people that wouldn't admit to him doing anything good. And I'm about to my limit with people that can't find anything wrong with what this administration does. Ever. Finds any excuse to latch onto and support it. Can't do anything wrong and gives support for stupid reasons that don't have anything to do with the policy being discussed. And there were people like that with Obama too. Too many sheep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree, but not at the level we are seeing now. So many of these folks are so angry that they would gladly throw away 242 years for the 3 left in front of them. It's beyond politics. The former President organizing against the sitting one? The party of tolerance has become the party of kings. Where was this righteous indignation when the DNC sold Bernie out to the Clinton campaign? Bernie would have wiped the mat with Donald Trump, like him or not. They keep it up and we'll have him for another 4.

Sorry to the OP for the derailment.

It's a good thing. It shouldn't be politicized as weak, meek, a cover up, or anything but what it is. Because private property rights are just that. And, education is the answer on all land bases, with all facets of landowners. Not a dictatorship. For goodness sake's, this forum is getting ridiculous. Apprehension and hoping is a normal reaction. But, being this is the biggest step we have seen to protect hunting by any administration in 12 years, let's celebrate that until we have reason not to. Not let our personal politics eave a sour taste in every one's mouth.

The absolute quickest way to turn people off your message is to loose credibility by turning EVERY TOPIC into your message. Just some food for thought. God Bless men

I believe the most important thing for us to do is make sure that this action does not end at the photo op. I am fairly skeptical this was done to divert attention from some other crappy decisions. This “order” has almost no meat to it. It does give us a forum. It gives us an opportunity to run with a goal in mind. In two months this Order could be largely forgotten about and nothing in this order would be violated. So it’s up to us to make sure the agencies in the West take the ball and make sure the items in it are implemented. I would think the most important thing for us as hunters is to communicate with our local wildlife managers and convey the importance of this action, find out if there are any projects in development that are problematic and then speak to those issues at our local planning commissions and the issues are addressed before development projects are approved. That is far and away when we have the largest chance to impact projects that create habitat loss and it is the one area where we as a group are largely naive ...and silent.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/so_3362_migration.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I read it this morning, mostly symbolic rather then substantive. That said at least it’s the right symbolism. A small win is still a win.