Trail Running Shoe ????

Hope someone can help me. I am getting into trail running but from many high school injuries am hindered by week ankles. Does anyone know of a trail running shoe the has laces that go above the ankle for added support. If not can anyone recommend a go pair of ankle braces that arent to bulky.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Merrell All Out Blaze, they have both low cut and mid. Love them

Adidas, hoka and altra all make lightweight hikers/trail shoes.
I mean no disrespect but unless you have a lot of experience running on the roads a lightweight hiking shoe won't be holding you back on the trails.
Good luck and enjoy your new endeavor.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Those seem to be more hiking boot than trail running shoes. Have you run in them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep running over everything. Yes they are not the super lights but I have never been a fan of light flimsy shoes. Hokas are my next favorite.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you get to where you want more ankle support than your shoes offer, check out these:

Ankle Brace w/Straps | McDavidUSA

Ton of mountain runners up here use them. I have issues with rolling my ankles when I run downhill, these help tremendously.

Those altras have been good to me. I have the low version. Note that altra are a more neutral heal shoe than most runners.

As far as durability, you are going to have to decide how much weight you are willing to accept. I have a set of Salomon’s xa pros that I like but I don’t expect them to last long. If you want a trail runner to really hold up, you are basically going to be running in a light hiker especially if you go with a mid height shoe. Also, some trail runners have very aggressive tread and use soft rubber. Great for loose soil and grip but will wear to nothing fast on pavement if you run on a mix.

If you're just getting back into trail running there's likely a few unfamiliar brands of shoe out there. The ones mentioned here (altra, hoka and inov8) are all fantastic from my experience.

The most durable trail runners for me have been a waffle shoe, but they won't give you the traction that some of the more aggressive treads will. On the flip side Solomon speedcross seem like they will let you run up a 90 degree face of sheer ice... but my lugs were breaking off after very little use. Find a balance and go with it. I've been using inov8 a lot this past year and love them

OP
B
I think much of the support comes from the sole and foot bed, not just the height.

I understand that the sole and the foot bed give support to the foot and ankle when when running normal. I am looking at the high tops due to the fact that i have the tendency to twist and roll my ankles when stepping on uneven ground and high top hiking boots have helped prevent that when hiking so i figured i would give it a try in my trail running.

duchntr

WKR
I use to have pretty weak ankles from skateboarding injuries as a kid. I heard minimalist shoes might help, so I picked some up, changed my running style and started slow and small slowly building foot and ankle strength. I don't use them much anymore, but truly do think they helped nearly rid me of my issues with shin splints and weak feet/ankles. They might help you too but cant say for sure as I'm not a foot Dr.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D GTX Trail Runners. Have been a big fan for a few years, think I am on my 3rd pair now. I wear them till they fall apart. Had one pair fall apart early on me (sole starting coming apart). Sent pics to Salomon and they replaced them. Can't ask for more than that. I even finished out the last 4 days of a sheep hunt in a pair due to boot failure. I pretty much live in these to be honest.. :)

Amazon.com | Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D GTX Trail Runner, Black, 9.5 M US | Trail Running