Looking for Alaska DIY or Guided Hunt Suggestions

Some friends and I are looking for suggestions for either DIY or guided hunts. Species, area, time, etc.

We were looking into a spring black bear and fishing combo hunt near Petersburg, but the cost was approaching an amount that we thought we should consider all options. We will most likely rifle hunt, unless the hunt calls for archery season.

Throw out any hunt ideas, guided or DIY, species recommendations, outfitter recommendations, general tips/info, share your hunt stories and experiences.

One of party members mentioned something about the caribou hunt on the Dalton/Haul. Anyone have any info on this? I’m partial to the idea of fishing and hunting while there, and getting the full Alaska experience, but I’m open to anything.

Thanks, and feel free to PM with info you don’t want to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green rocks lodge fits your description if you want to stay around petersburg.
DIY Lodge that provides boats and fishing gear for fishing, cabins to stay in, and food. Cabins aren't 5 star fancy, but they keep you dry and warm.
We went up there last summer and did a halibut trip but I talked to him about some hunt/fish combos. The owner was saying he has lots of guys come up for bear and salmon. Pretty affordable pricing wise as well.
Self-Guided Hunting Trips & Fishing Lodge Packages in Alaska | Green Rocks Lodge

Looks like salmon/halibut/black bear combo is 2k for a week per person, not including tags or transportation.

OP
Jacob_Outdoors
Green rocks lodge fits your description if you want to stay around petersburg.
DIY Lodge that provides boats and fishing gear for fishing, cabins to stay in, and food. Cabins aren't 5 star fancy, but they keep you dry and warm.
We went up there last summer and did a halibut trip but I talked to him about some hunt/fish combos. The owner was saying he has lots of guys come up for bear and salmon. Pretty affordable pricing wise as well.
Self-Guided Hunting Trips & Fishing Lodge Packages in Alaska | Green Rocks Lodge

Looks like salmon/halibut/black bear combo is 2k for a week per person, not including tags or transportation.

This was the primary place we were looking at, but after transport, tags, and shipping fish and meat back, our total was upwards of 4K. We wanted to explore other options for hunts, we aren’t stuck on hunting Petersburg and are willing to go other places.

Thanks for the input.

Want a diy option for bear? Look up caribou hills on the Kenai peninsula. Sh*t tons of bears there. Pretty sure you have to either have an Alaskan resident or a guide for non resident bear hunts. Better look into it. Anything else you wanna know feel free to pm me. I was born n raised in Alaska and spent 30 years there before moving stateside.

OP
Jacob_Outdoors
Want a diy option for bear? Look up caribou hills on the Kenai peninsula. Sh*t tons of bears there. Pretty sure you have to either have an Alaskan resident or a guide for non resident bear hunts. Better look into it. Anything else you wanna know feel free to pm me. I was born n raised in Alaska and spent 30 years there before moving stateside.

It doesn’t have to be a bear hunt, we’re open to all available species. I’m just interested in hearing about experiences and tips to help us decide.

Thanks for the info. I may reach out to you if that’s the route we go.

A fall black bear hunt would be productive, when they are eating berries and easy to spot. Kodiak in the fall would also be an adventure and within budget, fish and deer. Bush flights on the Kodiak are not near as expensive as the rest of the state, IME. Caribou wouldn't be a bad option, just less chances of success if you do the haul rd, but there's a little fishing to be had as well. A fly in caribou hunt would likely be productive and quite fun, but not cheap.

Beendare

WKR
I dunno how you would do anything hunting wise in Alaska for under about $3-4k.

Say you wanted to camp on one of the islands.....well getting there and back is about $1500. Then how will you get around? You need a skiff or something....and it won't be $50 a day....everything in Ak is expensive...and the more remote you are, the more expensive it gets. The drop camps for moose start at about $4k to $7k....but then you have to get there and back with gear....another grand easy.

Bush flight alone on Kodiak can be $1500.

Self hunt on POW is about as cheap as it gets....assuming you can line up your necessities.

If you find something cheap in AK....its probably a bad deal.....like the cheap drop camp guy I used last year that left us in a motel room for 4 1/2 days.

EDIT; You could do a caribou hunt...but again logistics of anything out of Fairbanks is going to cost you a few bucks. An Alaska Air CC has helped me as my last 2 trips to AK have been almost free [extra baggage charges for camping gear is all]

The way I see it, when you go to AK you want remote....and the easiest way to do that is to fly out. FWIW, My bush flights have typically been double what the airlines charged to get to AK. Its worth it though.

Last edited:
What's your budget.....I could put a few options together for you? Also priority wise on what you are really wanting so I can work around that first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk