Remington Filing for Bankruptcy?

ChrisS

WKR
They bought the company in 2007 with ~$250 million in debt and then in 2017, they have ~$900 million debt after going through 8 years of a boom firearms market.

Mismanagement.

How many roksliders bought Remington guns in the last 10 years?

Edited to add: I bought an 870 in 2009 for a beater and it is my least favorite gun to use because it rattles so much and just feels loose.

Trial153

WKR
It is what it is the firearms market is Pretty freaking saturated right now.

Trial153

WKR
the only thing that will make investors go away is lack of dividens and returns. If they are solvent and profitable there will always be investors. Remington is broke because they have poor product, piss poor management and have rested on the laurals of their name. In short they suck as a company. They need to go away and their market cap can be fully realized by other better companies. That is best for consumers and the industry.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have always wanted a 700, due to the action, and the proud American legacy, but have always steered clear of them d/t better performance of competition. You can simply get more reliability for less. I may be talking uninformed, but it doesn't sound like its as consistent a sub moa shooter as other brands. If this turned around, I would be a supporter. I like my 870, but it doesnt need to shoot sub moa.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have always wanted a 700, due to the action, and the proud American legacy, but have always steered clear of them d/t better performance of competition. You can simply get more reliability for less. I may be talking uninformed, but it doesn't sound like its as consistent a sub moa shooter as other brands. If this turned around, I would be a supporter. I like my 870, but it doesnt need to shoot sub moa.

Over the last couple of years, I've bought a few M700s and Model Sevens. They've all shot less than 1" at 100 yards. I'd rather have a M700 or Model Seven than anything else.

Teacher Retirement Funds in 12 States Hold Gun Company Stocks - Bloomberg

This is what concerns me most. If gun companies can’t get investors they will go away.

Consider the source of your article. If you’re worried about the gun companies, don’t feed Michael Bloomberg’s coffers by utilizing his services of visiting his sites.

There’s a big hoopla because of the recent shooting but investors only have one moral - to make money. As long as gun companies represent a sound financial investment, there will be funding available. But, if there’s financial mismanagement (like any business) they’re going to struggle to find investors. If I were looking for somewhere to invest right now, Remington wouldn’t even make it onto my radar. They have nobody to blame for their demise other than themselves. They’re either going to get their act together or their not. It’d be sad to see them disappear from a nostalgic standpoint but, really, what would we miss? It’s not like they bring high quality and innovative products to the market. They have horrible QC and are overpriced compared to their competition that provides much better QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the last couple of years, I've bought a few M700s and Model Sevens. They've all shot less than 1" at 100 yards. I'd rather have a M700 or Model Seven than anything else.

Hey, we all like what we like. I’m curious why you’d want a 700 or Seven “over anything else?”
What factory rifle today doesn’t shoot that well? That’s a pretty low bar. 10-15 years ago a factory rifle that shot a 1” group might have been a significant accomplishment. Not today. Heck, you can go buy a Ruger American for well under $500 that will shoot well under 1” in most peoples hands and every one I’ve shot has been a .5-.6” rifle with one factory ammo or another. Aside from the abundance of accessories/upgrades available for the 700, I can’t see the attraction to a new Remington over the other big name brands.

I’ve got some older 700’s and custom rifles built on 700-based custom actions but I don’t understand loyalty to the big green these days; unless it’s pure nostalgia. If you buy a 700 and immediately replace the trigger for another $200 you can have a rifle that shoots almost as well as a Tikka, Savage, Ruger, Kimber, etc. IF you don’t have burs in your chamber or a poorly made barrel or a forend with too much flex or contact with the barrel channel. I’d love nothing more than to see Remington get back on track but, as they stand today, I struggle to understand some people’s loyalty. What am I missing?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Hey, we all like what we like. I’m curious why you’d want a 700 or Seven “over anything else?”
What factory rifle today doesn’t shoot that well? That’s a pretty low bar. 10-15 years ago a factory rifle that shot a 1” group might have been a significant accomplishment. Not today. Heck, you can go buy a Ruger American for well under $500 that will shoot well under 1” in most peoples hands and every one I’ve shot has been a .5-.6” rifle with one factory ammo or another. Aside from the abundance of accessories/upgrades available for the 700, I can’t see the attraction to a new Remington over the other big name brands.

I’ve got some older 700’s and custom rifles built on 700-based custom actions but I don’t understand loyalty to the big green these days; unless it’s pure nostalgia. If you buy a 700 and immediately replace the trigger for another $200 you can have a rifle that shoots almost as well as a Tikka, Savage, Ruger, Kimber, etc. IF you don’t have burs in your chamber or a poorly made barrel or a forend with too much flex or contact with the barrel channel. I’d love nothing more than to see Remington get back on track but, as they stand today, I struggle to understand some people’s loyalty. What am I missing?

Because they're the only rifles that I like the looks of and they haven't let me down, yet. The other brands that you mentioned, I either find ulgy or has a useless control round fed action. I don't understand why people think that it's loyalty. Or why it makes some folks so upset. If someone else would build what I wanted, I'd buy it regardless of brand name. If Winchester would go back to making push fed actions, I'd buy one of those.

mtmuley

WKR

Why do some seem to care so much if a guy defends and still purchases Remington? Interesting. mtmuley

Because they're the only rifles that I like the looks of and they haven't let me down, yet. The other brands that you mentioned, I either find ulgy or has a useless control round fed action. I don't understand why people think that it's loyalty. Or why it makes some folks so upset. If someone else would build what I wanted, I'd buy it regardless of brand name. If Winchester would go back to making push fed actions, I'd buy one of those.

That’s an explanation I haven’t heard before. Not my way of thinking but to each their own. That actually makes more sense to me than some reasons I’ve read. We all like what we like. I don’t know about Winchester going to push feed - they just went back to the pre-64 design that was their most desirable and successful. I don’t care about the type of feed, personally - as long as it works. I love my custom 700 clones but on building a Switchlug rifle on a Bighorn SR3 (controlled feed) action right now. It’s going to shoot several SAUM and WSM rounds and I wanted to try a new custom action. I grew up shooting pre-64 Winnys so I’m really comfortable with controlled feed. I’m interested/curious - what is it about push feed that you prefer so strongly?

I’ve had more jams and blunted bullets from push fed actions, personally. Not that it’s ever been a real concern for me - just sayin.

Why do some seem to care so much if a guy defends and still purchases Remington? Interesting. mtmuley

I don’t “care.” I was honestly curious. Not sure why some people get so butt hurt if you’re not supportive of the ghost of a formerly great company?

N2TRKYS

WKR
That’s an explanation I haven’t heard before. Not my way of thinking but to each their own. That actually makes more sense to me than some reasons I’ve read. We all like what we like. I don’t know about Winchester going to push feed - they just went back to the pre-64 design that was their most desirable and successful. I don’t care about the type of feed, personally - as long as it works. I love my custom 700 clones but on building a Switchlug rifle on a Bighorn SR3 (controlled feed) action right now. It’s going to shoot several SAUM and WSM rounds and I wanted to try a new custom action. I grew up shooting pre-64 Winnys so I’m really comfortable with controlled feed. I’m interested/curious - what is it about push feed that you prefer so strongly?

I’ve had more jams and blunted bullets from push fed actions, personally. Not that it’s ever been a real concern for me - just sayin.

I don’t “care.” I was honestly curious. Not sure why some people get so butt hurt if you’re not supportive of the ghost of a formerly great company?

My first rifle my Dad ever bought me was a Winchester M70 Ranger in 270 Win. It is a push feed. I don't like the looks of a control round fed action and never had a hicup with a push fed action.

I have a Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM and love it. If you've never had a SAUM, I bet you're gonna like it. Good luck with your new build.

mtmuley

WKR
Brushy, not butt hurt at all. I've been shooting Remington rifles since I was 12. I'm 52 now. I know them inside and out and like the familiar feeling. Shot my best ever group at 1000 with a factory RUM. None of my rifles tend to stay "out of the box". If I have to have trigger work done, bed a rifle, or even re-stock, it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm a creature of habit. mtmuley