New Zealand hunting

Jaker_cc

WKR
I'm looking for advice on a New Zealand Tahr and Chamois archery hunt. I want to go free range

If you've been and have a recommendation I'm all ears, probably a couple of years out but this hunt is on my "want to really bad" list. Ideally it would be me and a guide backpacking or helicoptering in, spiking out and getting after it. Don't care about a lodge or any of the frills. Looking for a hunt

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for advice on a New Zealand Tahr and Chamois archery hunt. I want to go free range

If you've been and have a recommendation I'm all ears, probably a couple of years out but this hunt is on my "want to really bad" list. Ideally it would be me and a guide backpacking or helicoptering in, spiking out and getting after it. Don't care about a lodge or any of the frills. Looking for a hunt
I looked at going with hard yards hunting awhile back but instead knocked the wife up and invested in Huggies. Maybe one day

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NorBC

FNG
I went with Joseph at hard yards two years ago. His prices are super reasonable. I shot a proper bull the first day of the hunt. Honestly with flights included you're lookin around 5k or less I'm pretty sure. It's rugged country!! But I strongly recommend his outfit.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 71
OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
I went with Joseph at hard yards two years ago. His prices are super reasonable. I shot a proper bull the first day of the hunt. Honestly with flights included you're lookin around 5k or less I'm pretty sure. It's rugged country!! But I strongly recommend his outfit.

Can you tell me a little about the hunt? Great tahr and I like that country

NorBC

FNG
We were planning on west coast but due to weather we ended up on the east side in southern alps. It was in Nov. we 4x4 through creeks and rock beds for 6 hours and then hiked into the valley on a tramping trail. I live on the north coast of BC and experience bad weather but NZ was so much worse. It went from 30 C to monsoon rains 240 mms.. it snowed it was windy and then it was hot and sunny again. We stayed in bivy huts when we could but we also had tents and a tipi. Saw lots of tahr. Went up a drainage on the last day near mount cook and we counted over 900. Saw some good chamies but that's not what I was after. Even a real nice 6x6 free range stag.

Joe does all his hunting on public land, not high fence. The terrain was gnarly and reminded me of home. There is an option to heli also. Joesph really knows his stuff and taught me a lot about judging tahr. He could always turn up animals even in bad weather and he will put miles on you. ( hence why they call it hard yards...) it was an awesome hunt and he is a good friend I still keep in regular contact with. I can't wait to get back there to hunt again, or to guide for him if he ever decides to grow his outfit.

If you get real serious about it I'll get you some contact info

5k????

We went as a family for 2 months for 5k. That's all expenses except my truck in storage.

1200$ for tickets tops. Never paid more then 850$ from lax round trip. 400 rt anywhere west of Detroit is ez to find to lax

1 free check bag.

Probably not doing it solo but say even if you are 500$ for transportation. There are buses and trains that run all over the island if you need to scrimp pennies.

There are plenty of cheap grocery stores in Nz same as America so foods cost are essentially zero plus some mountain house meals.

Even if you include all food, how much you gonna eat in the bush for 2 weeks?? 200$

25$ rifle import fees

40$ export fee from doc

Two nights in a backpacker cleaning up.. 100 usd

I dunno I'd say 2000$ is tops for a responsible trip 2500 if you want to avoid any potential hassle.

With a ride share post on Nz hunting forum and wheeling and dealing miles and flight stuff you can do this trip for 1,000 from the western us... ez

If you want to avoid a medium hassle don't fly through Fiji or Australia. Fiji require an import permit with firearms even for short layovers..... read that again. I almost bungled a trip overlooking That fact.

Oz ur good to go less then 8 hours layover.

I've played host many times to visitors in NZ... on a short 2 or 3 week trip pay attention to logistics. Don't plan on hunting until the earliest day 3... what I mean is you'll get into Christchurch in the afternoon. Have your shit in a pile and a place to stay quickly... sleep, sleep, sleep.. day 2 will be shit but get logistics done. Hunting and fishing store is a one stop shop if need be. You an drive to the valley/area day 2 night but ur gonna be shot.

Mid march is my favorite time. End of first week to end of 3rd week. Nz sun is super bright and hot because of the lack of ozone so be aware that a 65 degree will feel like 80.

16 days is 3 weekend trip. If you can get to lax by 8pm you can catch the 11:00pm flight to Auckland. You'll land Auckland I think 10am Sunday. 2 hour layover. Clean ur gear beforehand. Ring the police at the desk. Make sure to bring proof you can legally own a firearm in the states. Hunting permit doesn't count. Ccw is ideal. I had an issue last time, they don't understand 2a

Jp100 sounds like the way to go for guys who wants it lined out but not poppin paddock stags

Didn't know stags still hold antler in November. That's like an elk With a rack in may for us northerners