Rebranding

541hunter

WKR
Not exactly hunting related but very much conservation related. I sit on the board for my local watershed council and recently took over as the outreach coordinator. The watershed council is a non-profit that uses grant funding to complete in-stream restoration projects on both private and public land to restore salmon, steelhead and other anadromous fish. The restoration works happens on the Umpqua watershed which holds renowned salmon and steelhead streams in southern Oregon. We also have an education and outreach program that reaches all the way from elementary aged kids to adults. The council is all about restoring fish habitat and takes no political stances.

In the last year or so the outreach program has been a bit stale and I am attempting to change that. Unfortunately I have almost no marketing experience as I'm a forester and an engineer by trade and education. One of the projects I have been tasked with is essentially a rebranding. We need to increase our group recognition as well as really set ourselves apart from other local groups. This will allows us to grow membership and complete more projects.

I'm reaching out to anyone here that could help get me started in the right direction to make this happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to pm me.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you work with other groups like trout unlimited?
They may have some folks who could provide direction.
Sorry I don't have much else to offer

Mosby

WKR
I would get in contact with your University school systems about partnering. Great projects and internships for master degree students.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Both good ideas above. To supplement Mosby’s post, you could also recruit another regular Joe like yourself that wants to help, but has the skill set and experiences that you lack.

Don’t sell yourself short either. You may be short on experience of the tactical side, but I bet you have the skills and knowledge to put a strategy together. Focus on what sets your organization apart from others. Why did you and your fellow volunteers choose this program vs others, like trout unlimited, etc? That’s a good place to start.

Whatever plan you go with, start with your end objective in mind. Do you need money, or volunteers? These are typically different groups with different motivations and your outreach plan should be catered as such.

Best of luck!

Doug

As much as it sucks a strong social media footprint is huge. It does not matter if it is a youth sports organization, a knitting club or an environmental action committee if you are not reaching out electronically you are doomed. people have an attentions span that does not extend beyond the last 10 posts on instagram. You have to have a continued presence that keeps their attention.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Do you work with other groups like trout unlimited?
They may have some folks who could provide direction.
Sorry I don't have much else to offer

There is not a local chapter in our area, but I am going to reach out to them. Thank you for the idea.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
I would get in contact with your University school systems about partnering. Great projects and internships for master degree students.

We do work with our local university extension office. The education group has talked about internships and study opportunities!

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Both good ideas above. To supplement Mosby’s post, you could also recruit another regular Joe like yourself that wants to help, but has the skill set and experiences that you lack.

Don’t sell yourself short either. You may be short on experience of the tactical side, but I bet you have the skills and knowledge to put a strategy together. Focus on what sets your organization apart from others. Why did you and your fellow volunteers choose this program vs others, like trout unlimited, etc? That’s a good place to start.

Whatever plan you go with, start with your end objective in mind. Do you need money, or volunteers? These are typically different groups with different motivations and your outreach plan should be catered as such.

Best of luck!

Doug

Thank you very much for the input. Some of the questions you stated I have considered but others I have not. They sound like a great place for me to start!

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
As much as it sucks a strong social media footprint is huge. It does not matter if it is a youth sports organization, a knitting club or an environmental action committee if you are not reaching out electronically you are doomed. people have an attentions span that does not extend beyond the last 10 posts on instagram. You have to have a continued presence that keeps their attention.

I just ordered a book on how to do this. Even though I fall under the millennial group at 28 years old, social media is a weakness of mine. Rokslide and very little Facebook is the extent of my social media exposure. I have a lot of learning to do!

I second this, as a Marketing graduate my university partnered with a handful of companies and allowed students to work on a semester long group project that created marketing plans for them. Was very cost effective for businesses too and they all got solid plans.

I just ordered a book on how to do this. Even though I fall under the millennial group at 28 years old, social media is a weakness of mine. Rokslide and very little Facebook is the extent of my social media exposure. I have a lot of learning to do!

Instagram is all the rage. Find similar feeds that you would want to emulate, figure out hashtags that pertain to your project/s and start posting progress of what you're doing. I would assume you have work bee type days on the river/stream and those are great opportunities to take and post photos of what you're up to.