New house bill for Idaho

dotman

WKR
Anyone that thinks this bill is OK is Neive to hunting several places in Idaho, especially if you hunt tribal land. They seem to sell and change there property lines at will.

Even digital maps can't keep up with land deals. This would defiantly make me stop hunting some places with a checkerboard of public and private.

Call it whatever but ID is not unique to this, I hunt right next to private and the fence isn’t the actual border, zero markings and I don’t have a problem staying on public. With technology today it may not be perfect but it is the best tool to keep us honest and protected and with tracks can clearly show our intent. I don’t buy land only to have to make it known it isn’t open to the public, it is a given private land is is for private use. I can very well see many in ID have probably used the excuse that the landowner didn’t have it marked well, fully knowing they were trespassing, that is just an easy out to do it.

I do agree it’ll make people maybe rethink where and how they hunt when it’s purely on us to know what is public land we are allowed to use and what is not. Also maybe fewer land owners will put up fake no trespassing signs at public access points.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have posted more land than I ever care too and have caught lots of trespassers. I also agree that the sportsman should know where he or she is at all times. But to put this ALL on the sportsman is retarded. In some places, these lines change drastically from year to year and without some type of marker. I would have thought I was on public land.

Dotman its easy to say that until you get nailed for trespassing, and you really think you were doing the right thing and your phone says that you are on public land. Some cops don't care if your ONX maps has you on public land. Plus court is a cheap place to decide who's right.

Broomd, come on down with me to unit 5, and I will show you some of the most effed up private/public boundaries you can imagine. I can also show you how much the lines have changed in the last three years. I've hunted all over the west and have never seen anything like it.

It's not as cut and dry as you guys think IMO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
See if I can play the devil's advocate here for those who want to put all responsibility on the hunter. Would you leave you vehicle unlocked with the keys in it, leave your house unlocked doors open, etc with all responsibility left to who ever violated them????

Of course I would! When I lived in Iceland, nobody locked their doors and they all left their keys in their vehicles........and you know what? Nobody ever messed with them. And here's another thing they do........they leave their babies in their baby carriages OUTSIDE the stores while shopping. And you know what? Nobody messes with them!

If people would learn that they don't have an entitlement to EVERYTHING in this country, especially private property and possessions......we'd all be better off. It's not my responsibility to keep people out of my stuff. Too many people these days with the attitude of "what's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine".

And what about access roads? Are you going to go look at every through road on private property to see if there is a public easement? If there isn't one, you just trespassed. OnX doesn't tell you what does and what doesn't. I go totally on posted signs or gates.
Absolving landowners of any responsibility then crying foul when any mistake is made is entitlement run amok...
A shared responsibility here isn't too much to ask.

Will Onx be liable in future court cases? We buy their service exactly for this purpose?
Where does this bill takes us?
Into Court.

Seems everyone is cashing in on the $$ hunting industry promotes.

Broomd

WKR
Broomd, come on down with me to unit 5, and I will show you some of the most effed up private/public boundaries you can imagine. I can also show you how much the lines have changed in the last three years. I've hunted all over the west and have never seen anything like it.

It's not as cut and dry as you guys think IMO.
Ryan, my arse firmly resides in "5"... :)

Well of this passes I will finally be able to point at 1 thing CA does better than ID hunting regulation related.

I see this as just another attack on hunting masquerading as something else. Lead bans will probably be coming your way too, in the name of safety of course.

As Ryan said, if this passes there will be areas left unhunted in an effort to avoid a criminal history. Not a win for hunters.

541hunter

WKR
I hunt mostly in Western Oregon where most of the ground fits the definition of checkerboard. It's all a hodge podge of private timber and public ground. See below. The private timber ground ownership and rules that go with changes all the time. Oregon requires the hunter to know everything from road access to ownership. Yet still it is some of the most heavily hunted ground in the state. Yes that change would make things harder but it's still very do able. Posting 10 acres may not be a big deal but posting thousands is. Private property owners have rights and at least here in Oregon hunting is considered a privilege.

662b85dadbb209fa536eb38f12befdf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I see this as just another attack on hunting masquerading as something else.

And I view it the other way. Did they have private property "marking" laws 100 years ago? It would have been an attack on private property rights to force landowners to post what they already own.

I find it odd that there is a mentality out there that assumes they have access to whatever land exists unless it's posted.

Broomd

WKR
Well of this passes I will finally be able to point at 1 thing CA does better than ID hunting regulation related.

I see this as just another attack on hunting masquerading as something else. Lead bans will probably be coming your way too, in the name of safety of course.

As Ryan said, if this passes there will be areas left unhunted in an effort to avoid a criminal history. Not a win for hunters.
C'mon man, the 'lead ban' thing is ridiculous in this context.
I'm going to carefully read this bill. Often 'good' bills are very poorly written and 'bad' bills are very carefully crafted. The devil is in the details. but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
In terms of hunting, California leads the way with 'crazy,' no offense intended.

Randle

WKR
This is going to be a night mare for hunters.They dont post their ground and tell us to it is up to us to know the boundari3es that change so fast your head would spin. I know cases were getting dismissed because there were no clear boundaries or markings. So now to get it enforced they want to shun their side of this by trying to make us try to keep up with the land changes. I hunt alot of North Idaho and this is just one bill I cant get behind.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I probably shouldn't comment as I have not read it......just read the post and thread replies.
However, I think I have the just of it and I can tell you all stories after stories about trespass abuses landowners have to deal with.
I am all for the hunter/person having to know where they are. Period. No excuse for not knowing where you are, especially with today's technology.

Randy

Randle

WKR
Those of us who grew up around "No Trespassing" signs EVERYWHERE like I did in the Midwest hate to see that in places like north Idaho. But if that is what it takes, so be it.

It is here already because of the non hunters , I dont mind the No tresspassing , they bought it , they can post it , whether they hunt or not most people post it anyway.. I can still ask to hunt it and get permission. Never been turned down yet. I even offer to help post it if they want.
Trespassers will be trespassers, signs or not.
I read it again .maybe I missed where it said they don't have to post it.
Tiny writing on a phone so.....

Last edited:
If that is introduced, there should be fines for landowners who incorrectly post public land as private as well.

Couldn't agree more. I'm all about private property rights. I even own a small amount of land. I don't think it should be a requirement to be posted with signs due to the costs of signs. However, a landowner should have to keep their lines marked if they expect the law to be this severe. Marking paint or what we call Boundary paint will last a long time. It's thick and will be bright for 20 years. I don't think asking a landowner who expects this kind of protection, to mark their lines every 20 years, is out of line. All the state has to do is designate a color and call it done. Just my thoughts. Because after spending over 20 years in the woods dealing with all types of landowners, it has become apparent that many do not know exactly where their line is anyways. Once again, because if they expect that kind of protection from the state, it's the landowners responsibility to know this information. God Bless

dotman

WKR
Will Onx be liable in future court cases? We buy their service exactly for this purpose?
Where does this bill takes us?
Into Court.

Seems everyone is cashing in on the $$ hunting industry promotes.

Nope, they have a disclaimer.

Broomd

WKR
This is going to be a night mare for hunters.They dont post their ground and tell us to it is up to us to know the boundari3es that change so fast your head would spin. I know cases were getting dismissed because there were no clear boundaries or markings. So now to get it enforced they want to shun their side of this by trying to make us try to keep up with the land changes. I hunt alot of North Idaho and this is just one bill I cant get behind.
Randle, I went to quote your Potlatch reference, but *poof*...
Stimson recently (well, 4-5 years ago) posted a huge tract one mile down my road as 'off limits' to hunters. The garbage left behind, fire danger, run-ins with neighbors, pilfered cedar and cut wood.....they finally said 'no mas' ....and rightly so. The immediate neighbor adjacent that tract (and at its entrance) had their Great Pyrenees deliberately run over by an elk hunter. I knew that dog, it guarded all of their goat herd, and everything else on that ranch. That neighbor, who owns about 160 acres was standing in her yard and witnessed the hunter gas his Dodge truck and strike the livestock guarding dog, attempting to kill it, and he succeeded.
She called me and asked me to try to catch the guy as he had just sped off after dragging the dog about 300 yards under his truck. Another neighbor to my north caught the a-hole on the road by blocking the whole road so he coulnd't escape and reported him to LEO.
It turns out the hunter was a LEO!! He lost his job.

My neighbors appealed to Stimson shortly thereafter and *bang* it was all gated and heavily posted "no trespassing"...

Randle

WKR
I spoke prematurely, I will be back with more later, i hope. Sorry about that. Potlach is a sore subject and I did not want to derail this.

So what are the odds of this passing?
You from Idaho, do you think it will pass?

I have 2 hunts there this year- so I am kind of interested :)

As far as Onx, Gaia etc... I would assume they both use a similar if not the same resource for setting their mapping boundaries?
If 1 was off , likely both companies would be ?