New house bill for Idaho

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
We disagree there. Every hunter is obligated to know his location as it relates to others property at any given time. If a GPS or a map affords that, he should have one or pay the price. GPS are cheap, accurate with downloaded maps, and they aren't complicated.

Wanna hunt or enjoy Idaho land? There are stipulations and responsibilities that go with that..
Ridiculous. Sounds like everyone else that left somewhere because it sucks to only make the good place they flocked to suck. More simple. You want to move to Idaho for great hunting and cheap property, follow the law and post your land.

Randle

WKR
What?? Now I am supposed to have electronic technology to enjoy the outdoors? I have had this conversation with large property owners. They agree that they need to do their part and post their ground. I dont believe they should have fence it just post it. It is cheap and easy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not sure what in my post conveyed the meassage you received 5 MB.

My comment was in general, not specific to your post. But that mentality really has become much more prevalent in recent years. And it shows in every aspect of our lives.......too many people think they have a right to what everyone else has.

IdahoElk

WKR
We have been talking about hunters but what about fishermen,Motorcycles,hikers,mountain bikers,horse riders, Etc.? wouldn't it be easier for landowners to properly mark their property rather than require everyone to carry electronic gadgets?

Murdy

WKR
This could be dealt with a little more creatively. Have 2 offenses, one a simple ticket with a small fine (like a speeding ticket), call it unintentional trespass, if you are on someone else's property without permission, your guilty, period, and pay the fine. Have another offense called intentional trespass, if you intentionally or knowingly enter another's property, more severe fine, possible jail time, and eventual escalation to felony status for repeat offenders -- the intent/knowing requirement would be easy to satisfy for posted land, if you cross a posted boundary, you have seen the sign and know you are trespassing and a landowner that cared could continue to post his land. This would also make good-faith reliance on a gps a defense (mitigating to the lesser offense) as you are not intending to trespass if you are following your gps.

Billinsd

WKR
Even in California, land owners have to post their land. Good lord, bummer Idyho!!!

IdahoElk

WKR
This could be dealt with a little more creatively. Have 2 offenses, one a simple ticket with a small fine (like a speeding ticket), call it unintentional trespass, if you are on someone else's property without permission, your guilty, period, and pay the fine. Have another offense called intentional trespass, if you intentionally or knowingly enter another's property, more severe fine, possible jail time, and eventual escalation to felony status for repeat offenders -- the intent/knowing requirement would be easy to satisfy for posted land, if you cross a posted boundary, you have seen the sign and know you are trespassing and a landowner that cared could continue to post his land. This would also make good-faith reliance on a gps a defense (mitigating to the lesser offense) as you are not intending to trespass if you are following your gps.

This sounds great until you add up the man hours your local F&G officers would be dedicating to trespass issues and not in the field.The officers in my area are already stressed and undermanned. All the other non hunting user groups would fall to local police jurisdiction,do you want our police spending their day chasing trespassers?
Not everyone has GPS units.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Some sections of BLM land where I hunt are littered with private parcels, indiscernible from the surrounding public land. Many of the owners of those parcels are perfectly fine with hunters crossing their land, either through the Access Yes! program or just by not posting. If the posting requirement goes away, how do you know? Without being able to cross that land, the adjacent public land becomes what the Sabinoso used to be in places, but you don't know who's ok with it and who's not unless they are privy to the limited Access Yes funds and it is marked on F&G maps.

Not only that, but last fall I ran into a situation where some d-bag Cali transplant bought some land that was previously Access Yes, and posted it (which is fine, because private property), but then went one step further and posted misleading signage implying that the road was closed as well - effectively discouraging hunters from legally accessing other Access Yes properties and BLM land. All the while, OnX said it was all still Access Yes.

I'm fine with stiffer penalties for trespassers. It's the lack of posting requirements that bothers me. Also there should be stiffer penalties for posting stuff that isn't yours to post.

I think it is more reasonable for each landowner to know and post his boundaries than for each sportsman to have to learn the boundaries of every landowner.

TheTone

WKR
In northern Idaho some timber companies could really put people over the barrel with road systems that cross in and out of there land and public lands. It is even more ridiculous when you think how little they pay in taxes on land due to sweetheart deals and how little they acquired some of the lands for.

Good to see Idaho's elected officials pushing a bill supported and wanted by people that don't live in state (wilks bros) and the farm bureau that apparently made a joke during testimony that if a farmer is paying taxes they need a new accountant.

Broomd

WKR
Ridiculous. Sounds like everyone else that left somewhere because it sucks to only make the good place they flocked to suck. More simple. You want to move to Idaho for great hunting and cheap property, follow the law and post your land.

?? ....I have no idea what much of that means, but in regards to the last part, we will! And I've already called the neighbors as of this morning. We'll be doing a community 'posting' of all the acreage down our entire road.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Edit>>>>
Hmmmm...and then I read this...?
Well we might as well not waste tax payer $ to post stop signs, street signs or speed limits with today's technology. Everyone has a gps in their car right!?! For "F" sake why should I have to buy the latest greatest newest gps to avoid a felony. It is all about money and a bunch of rich none resident people who have lake houses and vacation property (that they only visit a couple weeks a year) that most who live here cant afford and they are to lazy to post it. The way the law is now is easy for everyone and fair. Why change it?
New or old "law" I really don't care ...You're a jealous nutjob...

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
I think it is more reasonable for each landowner to know and post his boundaries than for each sportsman to have to learn the boundaries of every landowner.
The problem is that this is heavily wooded country. A person can easily walk into an area without knowing signage was even present. 600' is a large area.
This thread has been an eye opener, but i"m glad for it. We'll be posting everything, and so will all of our neighbors per my last posting..

Randle

WKR
The problem is that this is heavily wooded country. A person can easily walk into an area without knowing signage was even present. 600' is a large area.
This thread has been an eye opener, but i"m glad for it. We'll be posting everything, and so will all of our neighbors per my last posting..
i agree it is a long ways in our timber , 600 FT is a minimum , post it more often would be my choice. I dont care for signs, I think the orange blocks of paint are easier , cheaper and less abnoxious.

You're right [sarcasm]. It is much better if landowners don't post at all instead of at least every 660 feet.

But seriously maybe the new law being passed should require signage every 100 feet. I would think that more signage, not less, would be in the best interests of landowners who have trespassing problems.

In the culture I was raised in it was known that you could get shot for trespassing. More than 1 person I knew was shot with rock salt growing up and I still respect private property to the best of my ability. If all do this there is usually no problem and unless one is dragged into some Kangaroo Court all should be fine IMO. A good old No Trespass / Private Property sign definitely helps and is a common sense deterrent that I will continue to use on any land I own whether its the "law" or not. This bill will not change how I go about my property ownership management or access on public land . Not sure how I feel about it overall but this bill coming out of the blue is a red flag IMO.

Billinsd

WKR
I met a guy from Washington hunting quail in Southeast Arizona in December. He hunts Idaho a lot and said that he has had issues with land owners near Boise. He said it's real bad there. He said the landowners insist that you have printed maps with you, that show where you are and that they will not accept private property boundaries shown on a GPS in the field. He warned me about this. He called it harassment. Have any of you experienced this?
Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I met a guy from Washington hunting quail in Southeast Arizona in December. He hunts Idaho a lot and said that he has had issues with land owners near Boise. He said it's real bad there. He said the landowners insist that you have printed maps with you, that show where you are and that they will not accept private property boundaries shown on a GPS in the field. He warned me about this. He called it harassment. Have any of you experienced this?
Thanks
Bill

Land owners do not get to dictate how you follow the law- they can just chew on that them selves.
No land owner is gonna tell me how I have to prove any thing. They are not the Law, they are not the judge.
But I will make sure I am not questionably encroaching on the boundaries, so as to avoid a confrontation.
But should some over zealous land owner come to me, I will take a pic of us by a land mark, mark my waypoint and simply wait for officials to arrive so I can file a harassment claim.

I own mountain property here in Utah, and I will tell you it bugs me when people just drive right in to my property. Some take a crap on it and leave TP every where - no joke. One year it was bad as a neighboring land owner had a huge family reunion. Needless to say, he ended up with all his TP strung in his trees.

I have had people use my fire pit, camp on it etc...
And I have my property marked every 100'.
Cause I'd rather do that, then have to sling freakin TP every year, and clean beer cans out of my fire pit.

As a land owner, I do what I need to do to make sure the idiots who carelessly trespass have no excuse to do it.
That way when an issue arises, they will be the ones in trouble.