New house bill for Idaho

Mtnboy

WKR
If the land was already private before they bought it, why wasn't it already marked beforehand? That's the law isn't it? If it's the law, how did the sale go through without being compliant already?

It wasn't marked because before they bought it public access was allowed.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my understanding is the old law said you needed to post it, if you wanted it posted- sounds like the previous owner was a timber company that allowed hunting/other recreation, so they didn't feel the need to post it

like I said earlier, posting prevents the honest guy from making a mistake; the dishonest guy isn't going to give a crap- why not err in the favor of the honest guy- especially if they are going to enhance the penalties

my understanding is the old law said you needed to post it, if you wanted it posted- sounds like the previous owner was a timber company that allowed hunting/other recreation, so they didn't feel the need to post it

like I said earlier, posting prevents the honest guy from making a mistake; the dishonest guy isn't going to give a crap- why not err in the favor of the honest guy- especially if they are going to enhance the penalties

30 years ago I would of agreed to a point. I image you wouldn’t assume gamelaws in a new state, you would do your due diligence before hand to read up and be aware. I feel same about Private Property, especially with todays technology and information.

I let a friend kill a hell of a deer on my ranch, he posted it on a forum and didn’t clean the data off of it. You know how many calls I got from people, and outfitters wanting to lease? All off Cell phone picture GPS coordinates.

I don’t look at Due diligence as a burden. I would bet this law wouldn’t effect the honest people one bit, they aren’t trying to push the envelope

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if I understand correctly, this bill would effect all recreation- bird watchers, berry pickers, etc- my guess most not really learned in the art/science of boundary identification

a little orange paint makes it clear this is deeded property and you must have permission to enter, that's not a significant burden imo

Trial153

WKR
Call me crazy but I don’t see where its unreasonable to expect a land owner to post his or her own property against trespassing. Especially considering that we are talking about a region area that public land encompasses a significant percentage of the total land area.

This isn’t Abilene Texas where is almost all land is private and common knowledge dictates that you need permission from the landowner to be on the land.

dotman

WKR
if I understand correctly, this bill would effect all recreation- bird watchers, berry pickers, etc- my guess most not really learned in the art/science of boundary identification

a little orange paint makes it clear this is deeded property and you must have permission to enter, that's not a significant burden imo

Personally law or not I would mark my boundaries. But that said, this law is not much different then what goes on in CO, it is a given you don’t have permission unless personally given. I think in ID people have just become used to not feeling the need to ask because they just look for postings.

In KS you’ll see signs posted but it’s also a given, no permission unless you ask even if you don’t see a sign. Now private land in the WIHA is clearly posted as to what’s in the program.

On my family property in MT we posted all gates but it was also a given, no permission unless given.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
Thread condensed: wilkes are meanies and bribe every politician, Texas is evil because it was founded a half century earlier and not comprised of mostly public (by no fault of current or past Texans), and trespassing is cool as long as nobody calls you on it.

#winning

I don’t disagree to an extent, but I’ve also hunt states that don’t have the posted requirements and never had an issue with remotely being grey. As a landowner I have also seen it change in two states from posted to non posted. I have less issues now then I did when purple paint and or signage was required. Before it was “oh didn’t see the purple paint it was faded or we didn’t see the sign, because someone ripped it off”. Now it’s a given the burden is on the individual to know thier boundaries of where they can and can’t go.

TheTone

WKR
Do you feel large timber companies, many of whom have acquired land through railroad grants, back door sweetheart deals (like paying $1 for a section), land swaps, etc. and also get massive tax breaks and all but avoid property tax should be able to prosecute people for being on there land, especially if its on a road or trail system in checkboard lands?

Personally law or not I would mark my boundaries. But that said, this law is not much different then what goes on in CO, it is a given you don’t have permission unless personally given. I think in ID people have just become used to not feeling the need to ask because they just look for postings.

In KS you’ll see signs posted but it’s also a given, no permission unless you ask even if you don’t see a sign. Now private land in the WIHA is clearly posted as to what’s in the program.

On my family property in MT we posted all gates but it was also a given, no permission unless given.
This is common sense
I don't feel anyone is arguing this point

The uncertainty comes when private and public intertwine like a checker board and I have to rely on maps or goods to Get me thru to where I'm hunting.

I grew up not crossing thru places known to be private, posted or not
This isn't the issue for me

The issues is with the proposed bill, where a law is already in place for trespassing.
Seems the new bill has other purposes.
Which I feel is to deter people from legal areas by increasing penalty for violating private to Get to it

I am both a land owner in 2 states and public land hunter

I post my properties and always will
I stay of private and will always try to

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you feel large timber companies, many of whom have acquired land through railroad grants, back door sweetheart deals (like paying $1 for a section), land swaps, etc. and also get massive tax breaks and all but avoid property tax should be able to prosecute people for being on there land, especially if its on a road or trail system in checkboard lands?

Acquisition circumstances are irrelevant in mind, this has nothing to do with monetary exchanges or how much money I have or you have or who ever has

It’s either private or public. It’s that Simple. Again there are many “no posted requirement” states, I don’t find it any more burdensome to have to do you due diligence a head of time.

I can’t fathom even thinking I have accress right to private property just because it’s not posted. I hunt Idaho and in no way would I hunt an area checkered with private, same as hunting private fence lines in my mind, it’s recipe for bad things to happen.

Acquisition circumstances are irrelevant in mind, this has nothing to do with monetary exchanges or how much money I have or you have or who ever has

It’s either private or public. It’s that Simple. Again there are many “no posted requirement” states, I don’t find it any more burdensome to have to do you due diligence a head of time.

I can’t fathom even thinking I have accress right to private property just because it’s not posted. I hunt Idaho and in no way would I hunt an area checkered with private, same as hunting private fence lines in my mind, it’s recipe for bad things to happen.
Nope this I did agree with...
Its only a recipe for bad when the land isn't clearly marked, whether that's with no signs, incorrect fence locations, incorrect maps or poor gps accuracy.

I pay for that public and will use it.
You do what you want and stay out if you're not comfortable navigating
Thru it.

Every pod cast randy did went like this...
"There is that fence, that's private were can't go in there "

"This road gives us access, but only till up here in this bench"

Every where I hunt is like this
It is a constant struggle ensuring I stay legal
But I also am very successful at hunting because I utilize all the land I legally can
I'll be heading into Idaho and hope it is clear and precise

The only recipe for a disaster is leaving too many grey areas in written laws that benefit one group of people while hindering the rest

And I believe this is this exact mind set they want people to have

We better stay away

That way they get to enjoy public land we pay for, that is mixed in with their own
But 1000 acres, but enjoy, 20,000

Nope this I did agree with...
Its only a recipe for bad when the land isn't clearly marked, whether that's with no signs, incorrect fence locations, incorrect maps or poor gps accuracy.

I pay for that public and will use it.
You do what you want and stay out if you're not comfortable navigating
Thru it.

Every pod cast randy did went like this...
"There is that fence, that's private were can't go in there "

"This road gives us access, but only till up here in this bench"

Every where I hunt is like this
It is a constant struggle ensuring I stay legal
But I also am very successful at hunting because I utilize all the land I legally can
I'll be heading into Idaho and hope it is clear and precise

The only recipe for a disaster is leaving too many grey areas in written laws that benefit one group of people while hindering the rest

I think you are taking Randy’s thoughts out of context.

Randy is expressing that he has done his due diligence and knows exactly where he is and where private is, Not because there is or isn’t a fence or a sign. Which is what I’ve already said. Randy doesnt tend to leave things in the grey on public access or trespassing

Maybe Randy will speak up and Clarify either way.

If you read back through the post you'll see I continually say we have to be responsible to know where we're at I'm never arguing that point though you keep trying to put me in that batch of people who are lazy

If you read back through the post you'll see I continually say we have to be responsible to know where we're at I'm never arguing that point though you keep trying to put me in that batch of people who are lazy

Not saying you are in anyway, and I understand what you are simply arguing that non posted states tend to push people not to hunt and or hike Etc near private property. I just disagree that it’s that big of a deal and find if you do your due diligence, you will be fine. I personally don’t like hunting properties boundaries because I know game retrieving on other side isn’t going to be in my favor majority of the time.

You are also arguing the exception which Is a complete unintentional mess up after you have done you due diligence, and maps and GPS Etc have failed you. I have more faith in law enforcement, land owners and due process then most I suspect do to handle that .01% exception appropriately.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
They where never an issue here, Texans don’t have issues with private property rights.

Nobody in Texas would cry about them they canceling thier road maintenance contracts and shutting thier gates. It’s thier Land, they have the right to resrltrict or deny access

Don’t say mountain west because I like to see what other states it’s just cool to trespass and drive or hike through someone’s yard. I know for sure doesn’t work that way in CO and NM
Nobody here has a problem with private land either. The issue is posting private property.

I have as much right to public land as they do to their private land. And their reluctance to do the absolute bare minimum on posting shouldn't discourage me from using what's mine. This bill puts an awful lot of risk on my side, even using a GPS unit.

Idaho is one of the last bastions of the North American model of conservation. This bill erodes that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk