Fly hunting, anybody?

Am I the only person that hunts flies with a rubber band? Maybe it's more appropriately named culling because I do let my harvest go to waste. If you've never tried it you should. A patient person can stalk to within about 2.5" before you let it loose. You will be amazed at your success rate. This is my current rig because it came with some package. I always liked the thicker bands because of their knockdown power but the extra length on this one seems to give it a larger impact zone. If using a thinner band always be ready for a quick follow up shot because the first is often not lethal.
78243b3a9aeb570877486280cc00343f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting. I have not tried hunting with a rubber band. I can see the challenge in reading the fly's body language and knowing when you can't get any closer. I have trapped them with a Victor mouse trap which has proven quite effective. Your method looks like it takes less planning and lends itself to an impromptu hunt. Gonna have to try it....

SWOHTR

WKR
Bug a salt is what I use. Fly season is at its peak during the summer when the smoker is rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use to do that back in the early 90s. I only used a rubber band, though. Very accurate. Haven't done it since then.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm intrigued. Are you an opportunistic hunter of flies or do you have certain targets patterned? A hit list - or "no fly" list, as it were?

Any habitat I should focus in on while scouting likely fly ambush sites on Google Earth?

OP
bowieknife50
[QUOTE=mt100gr.

If it's black it gets whacked. More of a no fly zone. I don't scout too much because I've already found a good honey hole. I don't even have to burn any gas to get there.

I’m more of a long range fly hunter with the elastic. Sometimes I stretch the range to 1-2 feet. Hey enough rounds down range and you will hit them eventually

TheCougar

WKR
Soooo, this is my first post here. I’m a new fly hunter and I’m trying to get some help. I’m not asking for your fly honey holes, but can you tell me where to find flies in Colorado? Preferably huge trophy class flies with low pressure? Also, while you’re at it, I have a few questions about fly hunting regulations that I could quickly find with google, but that seems like an awful lot of effort when I could just have you send me the link, or better yet type it out. Also, can you send me a pin to where you hunt flies and have great success?

No really, a pin to your B&C fly kill site would be greaaaaaaaat. Thanks.

Bug a salt is the bomb. Takes the carnage to a whole new level. My kids got it for me as a Christmas present and they won’t put it down long enough for me to try it.

Does the bug a salt leave a mess at all aka will my wife be mad if I start shooting buddies in the living room?

Fitzwho

WKR
I’m sure it would eventually build up, it doesn’t shoot much at a time, but it can put a hurtin’ on some flies. Guessing she wouldn’t appreciate fly carcasses everywhere.

The first one I bought I gave to my dad for Father’s Day, we were spending the weekend at the lake and the entire family spent the week d fighting over it and straight massacring flies. I bought a 2-pack the next weekend and have one to my brother.

colonel00

WKR
I just try to grin 'em down like Davy Crockett. (yeah, that's a pretty old reference but someone might actually get it)