Fly hunting, anybody?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in college, my room mate and I would shoot beer bottle caps at them. You put the cap between your thumb and middle finger and "snap" your finger just like you normally would do a snap, and fire the cap across the room. Every now and then, we'd take one of those big blow flies out mid flight.

BluMtn

WKR
So I have acouple questions, I need to know what camo pattern will work the best hunting fly's and can I get away only using a day pack or will I have to upgrade to a 10,000 L mega hauler and what is the ideal frame size I will need. Also what type of boot are you wearing, can I get by with a lightweight or do I need to go to a mountaineering boot. I would like to try this but my wife does not like me hunting fly's alone, she worries I may get lost. Do you guys carry sat phones during your hunts. I just need some help in getting started. Thanks.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
Is there an outfitter anyone can recommend out here in CO. Preferably with horses that all 6 of us can get flies.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is there an outfitter anyone can recommend out here in CO. Preferably with horses that all 6 of us can get flies.

Yes, having horses will definitely help on a fly hunt. But I wonder if they would be considered as baiting?

At my base camps I always put up one of those fly bait traps where you just add water to them, and by the time I leave they are completely full of flies.

I know this is counter-cultural here and this comment may get me kicked-out of the Rokslide forum community but: I'm all for hunting this species to extinction!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
So I have acouple questions, I need to know what camo pattern will work the best hunting fly's and can I get away only using a day pack or will I have to upgrade to a 10,000 L mega hauler and what is the ideal frame size I will need. Also what type of boot are you wearing, can I get by with a lightweight or do I need to go to a mountaineering boot. I would like to try this but my wife does not like me hunting fly's alone, she worries I may get lost. Do you guys carry sat phones during your hunts. I just need some help in getting started. Thanks.
No camo is needed...just sit in your living room and crap your pants...draws them in like fly's! Get use to hunting solo!

Trial153

WKR
If you don’t eat them don’t hunt them. Me personally I like flies, baked, mashed or fried

Trial brings up a good point...lets hear some of your favorite recipes!

I have never been very good at processing my own game so I just grind everything. Put them in the dehydrator for a few hours, then a few quick pulses in a spice grinder, and into the pepper shaker they go.

I know it may be legal, but don’t y’all sort of think baiting for flies is unethical? That’s not really an application of skill, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk