Colorado forestry roads crossing private land

Hey fellas doing a lot of research on GMU in colorado for a first DIY elk archery hunt this sept. I have a question that maybe locals or guys who routinely hunt out west can maybe answer. I am looking at areas on OnX maps and see a lot of forestry roads that pass through patches of private land but lead to national forest or wilderness areas. What are the rules on driving on these roads to reach a place in national forest to then hike in for a BackPack hunt. I know here in Pa where i live i have a road that passes through my property that leads to state gamelands that anyone can hunt or hike. I can not block access or deter the public from using this road to access those lands. I was wondering if this holds true for areas in colorado as well. Any info on this would be awesome thanks guys.

Call the district headquarters where ever your GMU you want to hunt is located. They can answer that for you. I wouldn't risk a broad statement as the varying national forest districts can have different regulations on how they manage roads, trails and such.

oldgoat

WKR
Generally if it's a numbered road, they are open for travel and there will be signs stating not to stop and leave your vehicle for the next x miles when you cross the property line. Calling the district is a good idea and have the road numbers available when you call.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you homework and don’t be surprised if legal roads are signed to make them look private (IE they put the private no trespassing signs for their property that is along the road at the road entrance facing the on coming traffic which might spook off folks unaware it’s a public road).

gbflyer

WKR
A lot of those FS roads that cross private in W. CO were gated decades ago. I'm not sure if it's adverse possession or some other legal term but in most cases it's a done deal.

I have seen some very misleading signage over the years, not prohibiting travel per se, but certainly makes the unfamiliar very, very nervous.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Turn it in, there is legal recourse in CO.

Is there anything to turn in? They're legally marking their property however they have done it to heavily imply the road is private to those that are unfamiliar. Either way just warning the new folks be educated and prepared, chances are you'll come across similar situations. The signs that say stuff like "do not leave roadway" in the places I've been are in the minority.

530Chukar

WKR
When you call you'll probably need to ask about specific roads. There area many FS roads in California that run through timber company land for a section and the FS road will be gated on both sides where it enters the timber company's land. I assume there are instances similar to this throughout the west.

Bld6159

FNG
Went through a few in CO that had no trespassing signs. Never stopped and drove straight through. One had a make shift gate across that I was sure to close behind me as I kept going. My granddad that lives up there said most won't do anything specially if u tell em to call the sheriff cause they know they r in the wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk