Taping the end of rifle barrel

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
I’m lookin for advice I have a Christens Arms Mesa with ported barrel in the past I have hunted with a non ported barrel and put tape over the end what do you recommend for keeping debris out of a ported barrel thanks.

colonel00

WKR
More tape.

Nailed it :D

Just use a little more tape and cover the ports. The tape will blow right off before the bullet ever gets there. Now, it would probably be prudent to double check with the manufacturer as well but it shouldn't be an issue.

Fitzwho

WKR
Finger cots, and maybe even some extra tape. They will cover the muzzle brake. And then you could add some tape around the base if you aren’t feeling secure enough with the fit.

Billinsd

WKR
I’m guessing no change in point of impact but will shoot to be shure
There will probably be some movement. There's usually some movement between a warm and/or cleaned barrel and a cold and/or cleaned barrel shot. Only way to know how much is try it out. That's what I do. Bill

rayporter

WKR
going around the side of a mountain in 1985 i slipped and jammed the muzzle in the snow. i had a pretty hard time clearing it. since then i carry weed eater line to clear a barrel and tape up, too.

i have tested the tape on a barrel of an accurate rifle and found no change in POI. one of these days soon i will redo and take pics.

an observation-finger cots and sights don't mix well.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the balloon but had to replace it frequently so I just have stuck with tape. There shouldn't be any changes with the accuracy with tape. The gases traveling down the barrel will blow off the tape before the round reaches it.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
going around the side of a mountain in 1985 i slipped and jammed the muzzle in the snow. i had a pretty hard time clearing it. since then i carry weed eater line to clear a barrel and tape up, too.

i have tested the tape on a barrel of an accurate rifle and found no change in POI. one of these days soon i will redo and take pics.

an observation-finger cots and sights don't mix well.

Had a close call with debris/barrel, when i was a kid walking thru willows hunting whitetails, felt something tug and let loose on the barrel, didn't feel right, i tipped my rifle upside down and a 2" twig fell out of the barrel. i now use electrical tape long strip so i can shoot and retape. IP

OP
L

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
My main concern is taping the ports on the muzzle brake messing things up I am not concerned with just one piece of tape over the end of barrel as that has worked in the past for me, I’ll just tape muzzle brake and end of barrel and see how or if it changes in the middle of a 5 shot group

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
My main concern is taping the ports on the muzzle brake messing things up I am not concerned with just one piece of tape over the end of barrel as that has worked in the past for me, I’ll just tape muzzle brake and end of barrel and see how or if it changes in the middle of a 5 shot group

Shouldn't affect any accuracy. More to the point, air pressure in front of your bullet should separate the tape prior to the bullet making contact with the tape, or the gasses behind your bullet making contact with the tape covering your ports. It wont affect accuracy. IP

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have heard people use condoms for this very thing. Google it. Seem really better than tape or a balloon if you can get past the joke part of it and possible strange looks at the trail head

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk