foot pain with surgery in the forecast

ROJO23

FNG
So I have been dealing with foot pain my whole adult life (42 now). For the past 6-7 weeks my feet have hurt very bad so I decided to go to the foot DR to get some insoles. So they took X-rays and the DR came in and told me I need surgery on my feet. Both feet need
Calcaneal osteotomy (heel slide)
1st tarsometatarsal fusion (cutting big toe in half to reposition)
calf lengthening

basically he said he needs to cut off my heel bone, slide it over and screw it back into the correct position. My big toe would need to be cut in half and repositioned since it is crooked. I told him I needed to think it over.

a week later I went to an ortho surgeon that specializes in foot/ankles. After they took x-rays the dr came into the room and said 'your feet are pretty messed up'. I explained that I went to a podiatrist and he recommended the same procedures.

the ortho dr explained how, why, and what needed to be done. Explained that recovery will be longer the older I get, and that I will probably need an ankle replacement in the future. I never thought they issues were this bad. I was pretty athletic growing up, and I also played baseball in college. I cannot believe my feet are as bad as they were on x-ray

Has anyone else had any of these surgeries? The Dr said 6 weeks no walking, 6-12 weeks starting to add weight and walking, 6 months fully recovered.

I have vacation planned for mid april, and an elk hunt planned 1st rifle season in CO October

any advise is appreciated.

Ronnie

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
25 years ago I horse packed a group of biolgists into a high lakes area, on an extended trip, to get lake water samples. I had a pack horse come down hard on my right foot breaking my big toe, several bones and collasped my arch. I was in the backcountry so I had to live with it. Finally two years ago my wife finally convinced me to have surgery on my big toe They cut the toe (bone) in half, cleaned the calcium buildup off pinned my toe back, and in a cast for 12 weeks. PITA. It took me about 6 months to where I was halfway comfortable hiking, having to get used to a fused toe that was about a half inch shorter than normal Pain free now and don't even think about it 90% of the time.

I think I would forfeit the vacation if you want to do you hunt this fall and have your operation now considering two doctor opinions. Or visa-versa with the vacation and elk hunt
Good Luck!!

MontanaPT

FNG
It can be a tough surgery, but I have had good success rehabbing it. I’m glad you got a second opinion, definitely not a decision to make lightly. Good luck!

handwerk

WKR
I messed up my big toe 10 years ago, after years the middle joint kept getting worse so I finally, 2 weeks ago had surgery where they sliced it open and cleaned the joint out. After a week or so I was out of the walking boot, today for the first time I snowshoed our 40, it's still pretty sore but glad I got it over with...I would say get it done if you can afford the downtime before hunting season.

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
Thanks for the comments. We are going to Hawaii in April so I don’t think My wife is going to cancel that. The hunt I have already paid my deposit so I cannot get it back. I was wondering if 5 months would be enough time to rehab? I hunted with this outfitter before and I know the area. It is not super steep but we did hike About 5 miles a day.

I got the second opinion because I really thought that insoles would fix my issue. I didn’t have a clue I had anything going on.

My work usually slows down in the fall so that would be the best time to do the first surgery.
Thanks

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
IMO 5 months recovery would be pushing it for an elk hunt. It took me longer than that for FULL recovery and your recommended surgery is more intensive. After what you said in your last post I'd elect for surgery this fall after your elk hunt. Summertime in a cast is not fun, rehab for that surgery would be better suited for the off season.
Any chance your outfitter would roll your hunt over to 2019?

gelton

WKR
I am going through a similar but not as complex problem as you. I have a severe high ankle sprain with a possible partially torn achilles. I have been having problems with it for 20+ years but never as severe as this one. I was hanging a euro mount and I have 22ft ceilings in my main room, fell off a ladder about 15 ft. Ended up in the emergency room. That was a month ago and it is still swollen and painful so the doc wants me to get an MRI, meanwhile I am hoping it will heal on its on so I dont have to miss elk season.

Long story short, if it were me - especially considering that you didnt have a clue that anything was going on - I would push it off as far as I could and have surgery right after your elk hunt.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Have not had that surgery, but I did have surgery to have a bunion corrected back in 2005. I happy with the results with the exception that they left something sticking out. For the longest time, I though it was a screw that was not set in deep enough. Last year, I finally had an xray that showed that it was not a screw, but a bone spur where they made a cut. Last Friday, I had surgery to remove that bone spur. I am back to work today (Tuesday) wearing a special boot to keep pressure off of the scar. Next week, I get the stiches removed and should be running again in another week or so. A little tender, but not much pain.

boom

WKR
ROJO..i dont know squat about this..nothing to add.

just wanted to wish you good luck. i would get it done, cancel everything. without health, we got nothing. get the feet plumbed up and move on. that's what i would do.

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
I have not checked with the outfitter to see if I can push it back. that might be a good idea. Worst part is I know I get to do this twice. The 5 months is the part that I am hung up on. the Dr said he recommends 6 months before I could run again, so I would think hiking would be almost as bad. thanks

GotDraw?

WKR
A very good friend of mine had ankle replacement surgery. He was a former elite class athlete, pro-biker racer, Iron Man competitor...
Brutal surgery and recovery.
Surgeon screwed it up, blah, blah, blah.
I can put you in touch with him if you want the details.

JL