Anniversary Trip Recommendations

Hello fellow Roksliders, This May will be my wife and I's 10 year anniversary. She is pretty set on going to the beach. That is fine with me but I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of places you all might recommend. I'm in the NW corner of Alabama and we would like to keep the driving to 7 or 8 hrs or less. I'm kind of hoping for some cool places that are maybe a little less well known. What do ya'll have for vacation spots for 2-3 nights in the SE besides just going to the beach? It can be at the beach but maybe something a little different than the standard beach condo trip. Ready..set..go....

V65Magna

FNG
If she wants to go to the beach, take her to the beach. Points will be scored and can later be withdrawn for future hunting excursions, firearms/bow acquisitions, etc. Plus, she will be happy while you are there, which can be strongly correlated with other secondary benefits.

dtrkyman

WKR
Go to the keys, not sure how far that is for you? Go fish the flats for bonefish tarpon permit snook, Duck key area, key west really has no beach so stay up between duck key and Islamorada.

OP
aclawrence
I’ve actually never done any saltwater fishing. I would like to experience it sometime but she definitely wouldn’t go for that on our anniversary trip lol. Thanks for the suggestion though. I’m still looking for a sweet little spot by the beach that’s not right in the middle of a typical destination. That may not even exist. I have been also looking at places like Charleston and Savanna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what y’all like to do, but here are a few thoughts.

Memphis in May
Blackberry Farms resort around Gatlinburg
Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Savannah
Asheville, NC
New Orleans

johnsd16

WKR
This year is our 10 year as well and we are going to Kauai the second week of September our first year living out west 🤮. As others have said, do what she wants and it will be better in the long run. Getting married on 9/6 didn’t seem so bad until I moved out here and want to elk hunt. I get 15 more years before the next big one though, and I can play this card until then.

Agross

WKR
This year is our 10 year as well and we are going to Kauai the second week of September our first year living out west 🤮. As others have said, do what she wants and it will be better in the long run. Getting married on 9/6 didn’t seem so bad until I moved out here and want to elk hunt. I get 15 more years before the next big one though, and I can play this card until then.
I got married the exact same day and year. Hoping she doesn't want to go anywhere too crazy.

Come to savannah dude. Totally underbilled. Killer food. Decent beach. Beautiful tree lined streets.

It’s a little bit ”loud” compared to say NW bamalama no more so than Charleston and cheaper. Plenty bars too if y’all enjoy music and drinks.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ambergris Cay Belize would be the trip of a lifetime. Snorkeling, jungle excursions, Myan ruins, fishing, great food, friendly people and laid back. Easy to get to and as affordable as you want to make it.

Come to savannah dude. Totally underbilled. Killer food. Decent beach. Beautiful tree lined streets.

It’s a little bit ”loud” compared to say NW bamalama no more so than Charleston and cheaper. Plenty bars too if y’all enjoy music and drinks.

^ This. My wife and I did a little minimoon there when we got married because she didn't have a ton of vacation built up after starting a new job. The city is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and the food is top notch. Plus Tybee beach is just a short drive from downtown.

dtrkyman

WKR
I’ve actually never done any saltwater fishing. I would like to experience it sometime but she definitely wouldn’t go for that on our anniversary trip lol. Thanks for the suggestion though. I’m still looking for a sweet little spot by the beach that’s not right in the middle of a typical destination. That may not even exist. I have been also looking at places like Charleston and Savanna.

Dot have to fish, great beaches along there, Key West has some good night life but not my style down there.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
St. George Island is pretty laid back. Especially compared to Gulf Shores, PCB, or Destin. You can fish off the beach and catch all the whiting you want.

Ambergris Cay Belize would be the trip of a lifetime. Snorkeling, jungle excursions, Myan ruins, fishing, great food, friendly people and laid back. Easy to get to and as affordable as you want to make it.

I would second this, but maybe save it for a longer trip. It would be tough for a 2-3 night stay. Otherwise agreed, my wife and I loved our time on Ambergris several years ago. The bonefishing, snorkeling and Mayan ruins were all awesome.

Have you ever been on a Caribbean Cruise? Three ships leave out of New Orleans, on either a 4 day, 5 day, or 7 day Cruise. You could spend time in New Orleans before and/or after. On the 7 day Cruise you will visit either 3 or 4 Ports, all of which have beaches or water sports that you can do.
Cruises are great- all meals, lodging, etc and someone else does the driving. Different port the next day (or day at Sea). Depending what you book, it could also include a Beverage Package, unlimited beer, wine, mixed drinks.
You can find a cruise around that time of year for around $100 a day which is about what you would pay for a hotel or motel on regular vacation.

Last edited: