18 Month Solo hunt

Vegeman

FNG
Hi guys,

I'm a 22 year old aspiring hunter from New Zealand.

For the next 18 months I will live out of my car and hunt the entire Southern Alps, solo. I'll work for 1-2 days between trips to fund petrol and food, but then I'll be straight back into it. It'll be a challenge. Trips will average 10 days in length and I'll be targeting Red Deer, Chamois, Tahr and Fallow, as well as trying to capture the landscape and some of our unique wildlife via the written word, photos, and film.

I'll begin in Fiordland and work my way up towards the Marlborough region. It will be completely unguided, and it's all on public wilderness land (no fences, no game/safari parks etc); just real kiwi-style hunting.

I've got a website/blog you can subscribe to if you think you'll be interested: The Mountain Gnomad - Blog

And my Facebook page: The Mountain Gnomad - Home | Facebook

Instagram: Arash Tahan (@mountain_gnomad) • Instagram photos and videos

Cheers,
Arash

Mt Al

WKR
LOVE IT!!!! All of us old feckers wish we had your stones at your age. Stay safe and look forward to following!

blackdawg

WKR
Awesome, did a few much shorter trips like that in my early age, I would highly recommend a journal, kinda like Lewis and Clark did around 1804, I don’t know anybody that has had a pair big enough to chew off an 18 month adventure on a shoestring like this, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vegeman

FNG
Cheers guys! Some good tips. I'll definitely be keeping a diary.

Your support means a lot. I hope to feed your adventurous souls with plenty of material.

Spread the word if you can, and don't be afraid to get in touch. I love meeting new people and it's a dream of mine to hunt the Northern Hemisphere (including the States) one day; so i'd be more than happy to exchange some info about NZ for some pointers re: your neck of the woods. :D

Cheers,
Arash

Killer man, I'll definitely follow along. I'm planning on coming down there next year, send me a pm if you want to do a hunt swap or something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Sounds awesome. I am very interested in the logistics of this.

Do you have a comfortable base camp at your car? (dry out gear, some different food, organize stuff, contact friends or family/blog, ability to clean up)

Any rest days planned at a hotel?

What about meat care? what are your plans for all the animals you harvest?

Enjoy every minute of it.

Diesel

WKR
Wow, that's a long run. If anyone can get it done it's someone of your age. Life can get in the way of big adventures like that as you age.

Did quite a bit of what you are proposing, but never that continuous. I found that too much planning (that never went the way you planned) slowed me down. i learned to just get up there and let it flow, side tracks and all. Lots of good memories to be had. Take lots of pics, I wish I had.

You are gonna make a lot of us old dudes really jealous. If you play it all out, it will be epic. Best wishes on a safe and exciting adventure.

That’s awesome! Get after it! I’ll be following. Oh man, it’d be nice to be young and responsibility free! I envy you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk