Resident Hunting License for Military Stationed out of State (NM)?

rob86jeep

WKR
I've been reading through the New Mexico regs and just wanted to know if any other military member has already checked into this or not. I'm originally from New Mexico and am now in the military stationed in FL. I'm trying to see if I can still apply for a resident hunting license/tag in NM. According to how I'm reading the reg it could go either way (I still have NM listed as my state of residency on my tax returns; I have an out of state drivers license right now but could get another NM one if I needed to).

I'm not willing to lie and say I still live in the state on my application; but if NM allows me to still apply as a resident due to a military exemption that would be great. Anyone have any experience with this?

oldgoat

WKR
Also, make sure you don't have a resident hunting license in any other state, I don't know New Mexicos rules but that was how it was for states I've lived in, you can only have a resident license in one state in a calendar year. I always had a resident license in what ever state I was stationed in so I always ponied up for non resident when I hunted at home, but was only hunting small game so it didn't cost a lot.

I was a NM resident for the 23 years I served in the Corps and yes you can still apply and get resident tags and licenses as long as you claim your residency as NM. Call the G&F for specifics. I maintained my NM Drivers license and made sure I had my leave papers with me while going home to hunt/fish. DL, leave papers and military ID and never had any issues every time I was checked by a warden. I also was legally able to purchase a resident license and tags in the states I was actually stationed in as well. Unfortunately I did have to change my residency once I retired from active duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
I was a NM resident for the 23 years I served in the Corps and yes you can still apply and get resident tags and licenses as long as you claim your residency as NM. Call the G&F for specifics. I maintained my NM Drivers license and made sure I had my leave papers with me while going home to hunt/fish. DL, leave papers and military ID and never had any issues every time I was checked by a warden. I also was legally able to purchase a resident license and tags in the states I was actually stationed in as well. Unfortunately I did have to change my residency once I retired from active duty.

Well stated. Your out of state license is your hiccup. If you can get your New Mexico drivers license and don’t claim resident hunting privileges in another state you would be fine.

The thing you might look into also is the unit 28 hunts for elk, deer, javelina, antelope, barbary sheep and oryx. Being military and new mexico resident gives you great odds because half the tags in that unit are military tags.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
For the tax question, I claim NM on my tax return but don't pay any state tax (as part of the military clause being stationed out of state).

Marine4life, thats the exact kind of experience I was looking for (and the answer I was hoping for).

As for having another state's residence hunting license, I do have one for Florida, but why would it matter? I couldn't find anything in the NM reg's regarding military having another states hunting license (and since they're state issued licenses, not federal, why would they care?).

This is exactly how I did it when I maintained a WI residency and lived in other states while on Active duty.

As stated above, your out of state drivers license is a hiccup for sure. I always maintained a drivers license from the state I claimed as my residence.

mproberts

WKR
Just to add on, you can get a drivers license issued from your state of legal residence (NM in this case) that will list your current residence on it (FL in this case). It looks really weird and some LEOs don't understand it but it is perfectly legal and what you should be doing.