21 Years Old...

dotman

WKR
So our sons and daughters can join the armed forces and have to handle weapons there but they can't but a gun until they are 21 is complete horsecrap. I moved out of my parents home when I was 18 and had my own home when I turned 20, payed my bills and worked my butt off. my kids have been raised that way also.

The mental health issue is the only way we solve this problem. What when the next knut job is 22 years old or older.

No one is saying they can’t handle one, just can’t buy one. I think I handled my first gun at age 5.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
People need to quit making the military comparison. As had been stated that comes with training and supervised use along with limited access to a gun that is loaned to you, you dont even own it. The 2 are not even close to that same thing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
People need to quit making the military comparison. As had been stated that comes with training and supervised use along with limited access to a gun that is loaned to you, you dont even own it. The 2 are not even close to that same thing.

Rights are rights......period. The question comes into play as "do rights go together as a bundle"? Do rights only start at a certain age? Are there different ages for different rights?

I believe that all children fall under the umbrella of their parents legally until they are 18. If that's the case, then individual citizen rights start at 18. If the SCOTUS decides it should be 21, then so be it.....and all rights go with that. This is a much bigger picture than just raising the legal limit to 21 for buying AR's.

My kids have their own AR's, and only one of them is 18 or over, and they're all girls.

IdahoElk

WKR
And I don't think parents are "bad" per se. Economic reality has forced a lot of mothers out of the home and they just can't be there as much as they used to be.

If that's the case then they're doing a real poor job of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of their mentally stunted children,lack of parenting = government intervention.
It was no secret to the school,police,FBI, and most of all the parent/guardian of this kid that he was mentally unstable,why in the world was he allowed to have possession of such a dangerous piece of equipment?
Failure of today's parents has lead to society demanding the government step in and do something which sucks for us all.
If parents of these killing machines were libel for the damages they cause maybe they would think twice when they knowingly allow Jr. to have an assault rifle.

kicker338

WKR
Ridiculous, apples to oranges

Redculous ??? so you have no problem sending an 18 yr. old off to a war that he's no where old enough to understand what trying to kill someone who is also trying to kill youis like but not old enough to own a gun similar to the one he used to try or did kill people with????
I've said this before, each to his own but I have no interest in owning an ar15 I spent over a yr in Vietnam trying my best to kill someone who was trying to do the same to me. You ever try staying a wake afraid you might not wake up in the morning but finally go to sleep because you can't keep it up ???? 18yrs old to boot, not fun my friend.

2 Be 21 before you can hunt with a gun ???? You need to move to California, you'll get educated and real fast. They don't want you to own a gun let alone hunt. Think I know a little about that place having lived there for ove 50yrs before getting out of that mess. A lot of groups like PETA that have no use for guns, hunting and for those that do. But if your the mind set that it'd ridiculous apples to oranges, enjoy.

IdahoElk

WKR
Rights are rights......period. The question comes into play as "do rights go together as a bundle"? Do rights only start at a certain age? Are there different ages for different rights?

I believe that all children fall under the umbrella of their parents legally until they are 18. If that's the case, then individual citizen rights start at 18. If the SCOTUS decides it should be 21, then so be it.....and all rights go with that. This is a much bigger picture than just raising the legal limit to 21 for buying AR's.

My kids have their own AR's, and only one of them is 18 or over, and they're all girls.

Well you're an exceptional parent that has taught the seriousness of owning a gun and the consequences if it's misused,how many kids today do you think go through the training you put your kids through? obviously by the increasing violence of this age group not many.Now you have public outrage that demands the government do something, since the parents won't take control of the situation we will all suffer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If parents of these killing machines were libel for the damages they cause maybe they would think twice when they knowingly allow Jr. to have an assault rifle.

Up until the age of 18 their parents should be "liable". If they want to raise the age of adulthood and parental legal responsibility to 21 instead, then they'd be liable until 21.

kicker338

WKR

Your not liberal democrate are you , just asking.

bmart2622

WKR
Well fo example you cant buy a gun, tobacco products, or vote until you are 18. You cant drink until you are 21. They are called laws, thats were it is spelled out.

bmart2622

WKR
Kicker338, if an 18yr old wants to join the military he can and I have experienced 10 lifetimes of death and tradgedy so spare me that. BTW I am absolutely not a liberal, just an educated man

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
As a country, we need to decide when someone is officially an adult, and stick with that. We drive at 16. Vote, smoke, and go off to war at 18, but can't drink alcohol or purchase some firearms until we're 21. Which is it? Have we really regressed as a society to where 21 is now the age of true maturity? I would say yes, mostly due to the decline in successful parenting leading to what we're seeing now.

I do not, however, see any benefit whatsoever to raising the purchasing age of all firearms to 21 in regards to stopping these shootings. They're happening not because of immaturity, but because of a mental health disorder. That doesn't suddenly go away in the course of 3 years. Someone who is crazy at 18 is most likely still gonna be crazy at 21. You're doing jack shit to prevent all of this by raising the age to 21 accept infringe on the rights of the truly responsible young adults in this world.

dotman

WKR
As a country, we need to decide when someone is officially an adult, and stick with that. We drive at 16. Vote, smoke, and go off to war at 18, but can't drink alcohol or purchase some firearms until we're 21. Which is it? Have we really regressed as a society to where 21 is now the age of true maturity? I would say yes, mostly due to the decline in successful parenting leading to what we're seeing now.

I do not, however, see any benefit whatsoever to raising the purchasing age of all firearms to 21 in regards to stopping these shootings. They're happening not because of immaturity, but because of a mental health disorder. That doesn't suddenly go away in the course of 3 years. Someone who is crazy at 18 is most likely still gonna be crazy at 21. You're doing jack shit to prevent all of this by raising the age to 21 accept infringe on the rights of the truly responsible young adults in this world.

There has always been varying stages of adulthood legally or not.

kicker338

WKR
Kicker338, if an 18yr old wants to join the military he can and I have experienced 10 lifetimes of death and tradgedy so spare me that. BTW I am absolutely not a liberal, just an educated man

I would spare you that but in my case I didn't have a choice so couldn't spare me that. There a lot of educated people out there, teachers. collage professors and a lot atr very liberal so on the educated bit spare me that.

bmart2622

WKR
Ok, I am a Republican and very pro gun, I am not against the law being changed to 21, I dont care if it stays 18 either. And BTW I have watched DOZENS of people die so I can attest to what that is like. It sucks you had to go through that but Thank You for your service.

based on what I've seen over the last decade i'd prefer to push the established adult, military enlistment, driving, marriage, drinking, gun buying and voting age all to at least 25... and that would include my own kids.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

You are a damn good dad!

Randy

It's kinda ridiculous that people are blaming "this generation". The problem isn't the current generation, it's the US gun laws. Canada and New Zealand have just as many young people and technology but their gun death rate per 100,000 is much lower. The current generation always seems to be the scape goat when problems arise.