Do you hide your camp, or camp in the open to deter others?

For backpack hunting I'm typically trying to get as far from people as possible. I'm trying to find a campsite close to water, is flattish, and doesn't disturb the game. If someone finds my campsite I'm actually surprised. Whoever found it, most likely did their research and I'm willing to talk to them about their plan. For rifle season it's a different story. I'm usually in a camper. As long as it's locked I don't think it is an issue. I do like the idea of setting up trail cam's around a base camp though. I'm interested to see who is snooping around.

Dusty2426

WKR
I just hang a sign that says “girl scout jamboree 1 mile” at the trail head and enjoy the peace and quiet as that deters most from that basin 😂

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I actually spent the night in a outfitters drop camp back in the early 80s in the wilderness in Co. Left everything like I found it the next morning. I might not be writing this if I hadn't remembered that it was there.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I just hang a sign that says “girl scout jamboree 1 mile” at the trail head and enjoy the peace and quiet as that deters most from that basin 😂

oh man that's rich! I tend to go as "off grid" as possible, but there are some easy access areas that this may open up to a quite and peaceful near road hunt! :cool:

This is a great question and it's interesting to hear the different experiences some of you have had. We generally only camp miles into wilderness areas. The past two year's trips we haven't seen a single hunter, and very little evidence of any. More hikers and horseman passing through, and not many of them either. Everyone we've ever come across seems very friendly and amiable. I haven't given much thought to camp placement related to deterring other hunters from an area or avoiding thieves.

I think the thieving would be much more an issue closer to roads and a quick get-a-way. I really wonder if someone would pack up my camp 5-6 miles in and try to pack it out all that distance. I could be wrong though. Maybe I'll consider placing our camp out o view of the trails in the future.

I tend to place camp where it is most convenient for me. Definitely try and stay as far away from the beaten path as possible. I would like to think that other backpackers would share a mutual respect but unfortunately isn't the case. With that being the case I do try and at least stay out of sight to prevent any misfortune. The last thing I do when setting up camp is hoping others will see it and turn around. I typically hunt farther than most and the land I am hunting is public. Public to everyone who so chooses to hunt that area. I know we all wish we could have an area all to ourselves but with the popularity of big game hunting, that just isn't the way it works. Good topic regardless and interesting to see others opinion on the matter. It is disheartening to hear the stories of stolen gear. Talk about ruining someones trip by walking off with there tent or other gear.

Hahaha. Sounds like a bunch of you guys Hunt together. A couple miles Further in than everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha. Sounds like a bunch of you guys Hunt together. A couple miles Further in than everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well considering the vast majority of people hunt from the roads or easily accessible trails it really isn't that hard to get deeper than most. Where I have elk hunted, in Montana general units, I rarely had anyone hunt past where I had based my camp. Not saying one needs to be super deep to be successful or see elk. All I am saying is getting even a couple miles from the trailhead puts you that much farther ahead than the rest.

This thread makes me grateful to live 30 minutes from where I hunt, so I can get to my rig and drive home at night. I know I’d be furious if my gear was stolen, it isn’t cheap and hard to replace.

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
The only benefit of crappy, heavy gear is that no one is bothering to pack it out as far as I've packed it in. And if they do I have an excuse to replace it with better gear.

elkyinzer

WKR
I try to hide my camp from roads and heavily used trails to deter thieves and creeps.

I tend to think there are a lot more guys that think "hey, someone else is hunting here, must be a great spot" than bypass an area because someone else "claimed it".

Plus, to be honest, with a few exceptions, a truck or camp at a trailhead or along the road is not going to deter me from hunting one of my spots that I've already scouted. Unless I know there is not enough room to spread out or have a strong hunch that person is going to interfere with my hunt or vice versa, I am heading in there.

I try to disappear into the landscape. Won't catch me in a red and yellow tent either. Muted colors away from sight.

amp713

WKR
I try to tuck in.... helps keep the wind down, protect from rain and snow, less worries about people, less impact on animal movements....

In my head at least

Crusty

FNG

That would deter other hunters - but you might be sharing your basin with a bunch of teenage boys looking for a different sort of action...

S.Clancy

WKR
Recently we've been packing up camp and hunting with it on our back, but previously we'd hide it. We usually camp right at the bottom to keep our scent footprint as small as possible at night for elk hunting. Mule deer we'll camp high on ridges to glass immediately in the morning, but still located camp in small depressions or other areas where they are not visible. Also don't usually hunt near trails, so people rarely walk by.

That would deter other hunters - but you might be sharing your basin with a bunch of teenage boys looking for a different sort of action...

Maybe a prison trail maintenance crew sign would be better. LOL

GeorgiaInfo.jpg