MT participation fee

brocksw

WKR
I was unaware that MT keeps the bonus point you purchase for that license year if you are successful, and calls it a participation fee. Only 20 bucks for non res, but it still seems like a sneaky way to pad the bank account in an already tremendously expensive state to hunt in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
For the nonres combos I think it makes sense that you wouldn't get refunded that fee. It's like buying insurance, you don't get your money back because you don't use it. I do think it should be wrapped into the drawing fee. I haven't paid for the point since 07, maybe if they continue to sell out maybe I should change my mind and start paying for the bonus point.

Just my 2 cents

bmart2622

WKR
Im confused why you think you would get it back? If you draw then the bonus point worked as intended and you got what you paid for right?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im confused why you think you would get it back? If you draw then the bonus point worked as intended and you got what you paid for right?
Not really because it didn't change the outcome if you opted to not get a bonus point that year you have drawn anyway with your prior points. Essentially you got nothing

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you opted out of the bonus points for that year then you didn't pay for it either right?
Your paying for the current years point which isn't applied until the following year but you are not awarded a point because you were drawn. They take money for a service they don't provide

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
In years past I have not taken part in the bonus point system and did not have to pay the $2 fee.
Correct you can opt out of buying points. Op is saying if you check the box for points they charge you for a point but if you are drawn you are not awarded a point but are charged for that service.

bmart2622

WKR
You are charged for a point that was used to get you drawn, that is what you are paying for.
If I have 1 point and opt to use the bonus point system, my name is now in the draw 2 times. If I draw then my bonus point was used and I have 0 going into next year, if I didn't draw I have 1 point going into next year. The point is for the current years draw.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
The bonus point you buy in the 2018 app is not used for 2018 draw.

I had 3 points going into the 2018 draw. I bought a bonus point. My 2018 app goes in with 3 points. If I am unsuccessful in drawing i am awarded the bonus point i bought and would then have 4 points for the 2019 draw. If i am successful i am not refunded the $20 for the bonus point i bought in 2018. That $20 is then converted to a "participation fee". You are essentially always buying one more point then whay gets you drawn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Its for the current year. If you have 3 points going into the draw you will get those 3 points plus the current application.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its for the current year. If you have 3 points going into the draw you will get those 3 points plus the current application.
So if you don't use points you don't get the current year application in which case you wouldn't get a application at all

bmart2622

WKR
Im not sure where I said anything close to that. I clearly said plus the current application. In the above example your name would be in the draw 4 times with 3 points.

bmart2622

WKR
Im kinda over this conversation, bottom line if you want the bonus points then pay the $20, if you dont want to then dont. But MT isn't going to change the way they do the draw because a couple people whine about it. Its application time and just like clock work it brings out all the whining and complaing about the costs of applying, its gets old. You gotta pay to play. Good luck where ever you decide to apply gentlemen.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes we are having a failure to communicate. You always get the current application for 1 time in draw regardless if you buy the point or not. Your payment is to keep that point the next year which you can't do if your drawn so Montana keeps your money for a service they do not provide you

bmart2622

WKR
Whether Im right or you're right doesnt change the way it is, if you want to get bonus points then pay for them.

Agross

WKR
The way the lady at the Montana fish and game explained it to my buddy when he called about a week ago, if you pay the extra for the bonus point it goes toward the current draw. Unless he somehow misunderstood her.