Wiggys Sleeping Bag for Sheep hunting

idig4au

WKR
Not me, supposedly a great bag, but way too heavy for back pack hunting for my liking. If i expect really wet conditions, I will take my Kifaru slick bag for piece of mind. But normally, I just use my treated down bag. With proper shelter and management, i've never had an issue using a down bag or quilt in a wet environment.

oenanthe

WKR
Taking a Wiggy's bag on a sheep hunt is like taking a Kia to the Indy 500.

The Kia has its time and place, sure, but not at the Indy 500. Wiggy's (I've owned a couple, and eventually sold them) are fine for truck camping or river trips.

Anytime you need a bag that's both warm and light Wiggy's are not the ticket.

I have a few wiggy's bags, but I wouldn't take on on a sheep hunt. Will it work? Of course. It's just super bulky and a bit too heavy.

Funny story, I took a guy on a goat hunt a few years ago, he packed in a -65 Wiggy's that we bought the spring prior for a musk ox hunt. I about shit a brick when I saw him carrying it up the mountain. haha

IdahoElk

WKR
My Wiggy's bag is good but it is not light.Have you looked at Western Mountaineering? just bought one and it will be replacing my Wiggy's bag,very nice!

Clarktar

WKR
My Wiggy's bag is good but it is not light.Have you looked at Western Mountaineering? just bought one and it will be replacing my Wiggy's bag,very nice!
Selling the wiggys?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bcimport

WKR
I’ve carried my Wiggys on my back into the mountains lots of times. They’re warm and durable but bulky and heavy. My wiggys bags are used for car camping / base camp stuff now. However, if you have a wiggys I wouldn’t hesitate for one minute to shove it in the pack and go. You don’t “need” to have all the coolest lightest gear to get up the hill and get after it.

bates

WKR
i bought one from Wiggys, same thoughts as what others have said

if i were buying again and since you are in AK so see them at wiggys AK, they have a couple of different models specific to them, supposed to be lighter than what you buy from wiggys direct, i think mainly just thinner fabric and less insulation on the bottom of the sleeping bag, i am sure its still a bulky and heavy bag but it might not be as heavy or bulky as other models

i think the models are sheep hunter and glacier hunter, mark there was always a nice guy when i chatted with him

keller

WKR
i was in the same position several months ago going on my first sheep hunt trying, buying, weighing gear.wondering how carried away to get on weight?called the people at wiggys very nice people will take the time to explain things to you I believe they have a good product and was going to buy theirs but ended up ordering a kuiu bag when they were on sale mainly because of the bulk of the wiggys.too often I buy something because of the price tag and its not what I really wanted and am never quite happy with it.so I bit the bullet and bought the kuiu bag I figure if you take care of your stuff you only have to buy it once and it will last a long time.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I took my Wiggys on a Stones sheep hunt in 2010 and it was fine. I have many Wiggys bag. It was a horseback hunt so weight was no problem. I took my down WM brand bag on my backpack Dall sheep hunt in 2014. If you take a down bag I say you just take it in a waterproof sack. Try to dry it a little each day before you put in your pack. Wiggys is too heavy for a backpack hunt for sure but they are really great products. Your body sweats a lot more than you think and you need to stay warm so try to keep it dry.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a couple of Wiggy's bags, including the Glacier Hunter.

Wiggy's are good bags and good to their temp rating....but they are kinda heavy and pack down like an angry bear. I also have a Western Mountaineering for mountain hunting.

River trips get a Wiggy's and altitude gets the WM. IMHO- best two bags on the market.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve got two of them and they are relegated to car camping or river camping. One of them developed cold spots where there was almost no isulation after a couple of washings, that was one of the things Jerry told me in person when I bought it at his store in Grand Junction that wouldn’t be a problem. He looked at the bag and told me that those areas where there wasn’t any insulation couldn’t possibly be cold spots.

OP
Did you take it back? I stinking love my Wiggys and know it's not the right bag for this hunt but am scared to not have it. I've done so many hunts with them and always have dried my gear in the bottom if needed at night. How do you do that in a down bag?

I’ve got two of them and they are relegated to car camping or river camping. One of them developed cold spots where there was almost no isulation after a couple of washings, that was one of the things Jerry told me in person when I bought it at his store in Grand Junction that wouldn’t be a problem. He looked at the bag and told me that those areas where there wasn’t any insulation couldn’t possibly be cold spots.

Phaseolus

WKR

That’s what galled me, I took it back and talked face to face with Jerry Wigetow (I live in the same valley as the main plant), his demeanor and refusal to admit that the bag had problems soured me forever on his company.

I've used my Wiggy's Glacier Hunter on many sheep hunts. As other's have said, yes, it is bulky and a bit on the heavy side, but when the storm rolls in and every piece of gear you have is soaked, it can be a lifesaver. My favorite thing about a Wiggy's bag is the fact that I can crawl in it with my clothes on, completely soaking wet, and for the most part, said clothes will be mostly dry in the morning. Especially socks. I would throw my wet socks into the bottom of the bag before I went to sleep and they would be dry in the morning.

This past season, I went to a down bag. We had great weather most of the season so I was never really concerned with getting my bag wet. With that that said though, I may go to a treated bag this season.

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong taking a Wiggy's bag up the mountain, it has pro's and con's like anything. Take what you are most comfortable with, kill a great sheep, and have fun.

Josh

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04