Boycott Dick's Sporting Goods

Did you read the article? They stopped selling them in 2012, but are just now stopping sales at their Field and Stream stores.

You'd need to boycott Walmart too. Just as interesting for Dick's is their new policy of no firearms sales to people under the age of 21. I found it remarkable that the statement had almost no effect on their stock.

It's becoming more obvious that some retailers and corporations are responding to the Parkland (and other accumulated) killings by distancing themselves from ARs and the groups which endorse owning them. Going to be an interesting time for the firearms industry for sure.

Does anyone even shop at Dick's in the first place? At least here in the Midwest I wouldn't even waste my time going into that store because they have nothing of quality and almost no hunting inventory.

I don't, but I'm sure a lot of people shop Dick's. Keep in mind that Field & Stream stores are a subsidiary of Dick's and they DO attract a lot of sportsmen. In Columbus, OH the F&S store is less than 1/4 mile from Cabela's and often much busier with customers.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped Shopping at Dicks after there 2012 Ban on AR's. Always disliked the store honestly, though that was just icing on the cake.

This looks to be a safe PR move for Dicks. Much like under armour not really needing their hunting line up, the very little I've been in a dicks store it didn't strike me that guns (specifically msr/ar's) were their bread and butter.

The glass-is-half-full part of me is optimistic moving forward from this shooting. From what I remember, post sandy hook, there was much more "definitive-ty" from gun control proponents with an all or nothing ban which resulted in a ton of panic with the firearm/ammo buying communtiy. Today marks the 2 week anniversary of Florida and it doesn't appear to be near the turmoil. There's more discussion as whole regarding school security going on now than previous mass killings (which my personal feelings are the only real way to prevent these in the future is to secure the buildings/children, no amount of gun control or mental health screening will stop them). As a life member of the NRA I salute companies like Dicks.... They felt this was the right move, it was a conviction they as a company had, and went forward with it. I would much rather see stores taking the initiative on this than the government. I have never bought one single item from dicks, and really don't intend to... if the dicks-powers that be felt this was what they needed to do from a company-moral standpoint I can't fault them for it....

geriggs

WKR
Sure they can do what they want, its a private company. Just dont get a sh!tty if overall sales start to slide. It may not happen, maybe it improves. Firearms are a small part of their business and margins are low on guns.

This looks to be a safe PR move for Dicks. Much like under armour not really needing their hunting line up, the very little I've been in a dicks store it didn't strike me that guns (specifically msr/ar's) were their bread and butter.

The glass-is-half-full part of me is optimistic moving forward from this shooting. From what I remember, post sandy hook, there was much more "definitive-ty" from gun control proponents with an all or nothing ban which resulted in a ton of panic with the firearm/ammo buying communtiy. Today marks the 2 week anniversary of Florida and it doesn't appear to be near the turmoil. There's more discussion as whole regarding school security going on now than previous mass killings (which my personal feelings are the only real way to prevent these in the future is to secure the buildings/children, no amount of gun control or mental health screening will stop them). As a life member of the NRA I salute companies like Dicks.... They felt this was the right move, it was a conviction they as a company had, and went forward with it. I would much rather see stores taking the initiative on this than the government. I have never bought one single item from dicks, and really don't intend to... if the dicks-powers that be felt this was what they needed to do from a company-moral standpoint I can't fault them for it....

xziang

WKR
Since they bought out 'Galayns' around here the store isn't worth it for hunting equipment anyway. Their fishing and paddle supplies seems to be popular there though. They are doing it for publicity since I'm sure the hunting community isn't a big part of their revenue anyway. (at least around here)

I just saw they will also be restricting all gun sales to those over 21. Does anyone know the legality of this?

I would guess there will be some varying opinions and may differ from state to state. That said I would have a difficult time looking a young marine in the eye and tell him/her I can't sell them a hunting rifle for a couple year while expecting the same person to defend my country. It's one thing if it's a federal or state law, but to make it store policy I don't know....

I don't remember how it turned out for the cake maker that refused to bake one for the gay couple?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doubtful it's legal if challenged but I'm no lawyer. You can't even restrict the sell of wedding cakes if your a private business.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I typically go into dicks this time of year and stock up on lures at closeout pricing, other than that never really buy from them. Almost never go to Walmart, can not stand that place.

JWP58

WKR
Does anyone even shop at Dick's in the first place? At least here in the Midwest I wouldn't even waste my time going into that store because they have nothing of quality and almost no hunting inventory.

Bingo. Worthless store. Unless you golf i guess..

Jax in ft. collins no longer gets my money either. They took the same stance years ago.