Anyone listen to Steve Rinella's interview with Rob Bishop?

NDGuy

WKR
I listened. Rinella is a smart guy with well known positions on conservation. He knows that if it had turned into a tit for tat it wouldn’t have ended well. I like that he let Bishop say his piece. The TRCP response posting so fast is no accident. Gives a chance for the dialogue to continue and for the other side to show their colors.

texag10

WKR
I just started listening to the podcast and had to pause right where Bishop was saying the money given to the states from the Land & Water Conservation Act provides more access to sportsmen than money given to the federal government to purchase inholdings. Really? I just moved to CO and right in the CPW big game hunting brochure it tells you to make sure you're allowed on State owned land, because much of it isn't open to public access.

I am so sick and tired of the deliberate misrepresentation of facts and stretching truth right up to its breaking point that comes from politicians at all levels.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I only got 15 minutes in yesterday on the drive home, the guy sounds like an arrogant, worthless politician.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
I listened to more of it today and will force myself to finish the episode. I don't think it is going to be terribly likely that I will agree with Rep. Bishop on many (any) points, but I do want to know what the other sides uses as their arguments so I can have a well reasoned response.

Bishop just flat out is a crook. The only thing I agree with him on is that he has been there far too long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russp17

WKR
Yeah I found rep Bishop to be very condescending. It was hard to listen to.

CorbLand

WKR
Plan on getting to this one soon. I was interested to hear how it went as soon as I saw who the podcast was with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I found rep Bishop to be very condescending. It was hard to listen to.

I don't remember his exact wording but the way he talked about things that fell under his purview was very disturbing. He made it sound like he was the CEO of a corporation and it was all his to do with what he wanted, instead of representing his constituents.

TheTone

WKR
I don't remember his exact wording but the way he talked about things that fell under his purview was very disturbing. He made it sound like he was the CEO of a corporation and it was all his to do with what he wanted, instead of representing his constituents.

Yeah, he sure loves himself and the position of power he has found himself in. He should listen to his own opinion that he has been in politics for too long.

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
He made me cringe with the "well you can just stop using your back deck and it will turn into wilderness" line.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of respect for Steve and Janis and how much restraint, deference and respect they showed to Bishop. I was nauseous listening to Bishop wax poetic on his positions.

Strategically, though, I think the Meateater crew is can put this in the win column for allowing Bishop to just be the slimy orator he is. Shows his true colors in colorful, flowery language and many in the conservation community can see right through it.

ndbuck09

WKR
His comments on wilderness are so indicative of how far off base his mind works with regards to land and conservation. Him and Chaffetz and any other politician that advocate moving land away from federal control always try really hard to talk in circles and isolated cases to try to relate to hunters, fisherman and conservationists who love public land. But the highlight is that their version of conservation boils down to cutting the amount of land for recreation and taking more for making money by exploiting it. end of story and it's sickening to listen to the arrogance.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
One thing I took away from it (being relatively new to the issue of keeping public land open) was that a lot of what Bishop's statements made sense to me without knowing a lot of background. That tells me a casual listener would think "oh those are good points, why does everyone in the hunting community hate this guy?" Shows how dangerous cherry picking stats and twisting wording and facts can be.

Gobbler36

WKR
His comments on wilderness are so indicative of how far off base his mind works with regards to land and conservation. Him and Chaffetz and any other politician that advocate moving land away from federal control always try really hard to talk in circles and isolated cases to try to relate to hunters, fisherman and conservationists who love public land. But the highlight is that their version of conservation boils down to cutting the amount of land for recreation and taking more for making money by exploiting it. end of story and it's sickening to listen to the arrogance.

This is what I came away with as well. His comments stating that there is tons of land out there and hunters will basically be fine losing half of it to building and other exploits was sickening. Yeah that’s being really mindful of hunting and fishing, let’s all be on top of one another more than we already are. Guy is a snake, I am glad Steve let him come on and spew his filth, I think more people will find the idea of state transfer repulsive after listening to this guy talk. Made me laugh a couple times you could just tell that Steve wanted to rip into some of his responses, especially towards the end.

Gorp2007

WKR
I finished the podcast and didn't care for much of it, but I appreciated that Steve and Janis (we're basically best friends now) were respectful and let him say his piece without becoming confrontational. The best part, however, is that the Meateater crew immediately posted a rebuttal article written by the TRCP on Facebook so that any of their followers could see a point by point takedown of Bishop's positions. Well worth the read and (if Facebook comments are to be believed) there will be a counterpoint podcast in the very near future.