Food weight for backpack hunting

S.Clancy

WKR
Going through my spreadsheet for bow season, I'm wondering what you guys are taking in for food weight/day. Personally I feel like I take in a ton of food, shoot for 4500 cals/day, bulk weight 37.5 oz (120 cal/oz).

I always shoot for a minimum of 100 cal/oz so I’d say you’re doing well at 120. Everybody has different caloric requirements and yours may be higher than mine but I’m usually about 25-30 ounces per day of food.

Last edited:

530Chukar

WKR
I think I was around 27 oz per day this year and somewhere around 4K calories. Everyone’s different on their needs. Your needs will even be different from day to day. I had some days this past season that I was stealing food from the following day. And other days that I would have fly touch anything between breakfast and dinner. Elevation, work load, hydration, diet, food quality are all aspects that play into everyday needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.8 lbs/day is a pretty reliable number for me. 29-30 oz or so has seemed to work over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
I figure 3000 calories a day. And I'm lucky the guys I go with quit eating everything they brought by day 4-5 so I get to eat their stuff ;)

Shraggs

WKR
last year it was about 18oz. i ate everything. previous years it was nearly twice that at about 3800 - but never seemed to have time to eat it all and still lost weight.

but we did change, did more a series of 2-3 days with regroup in-between so wasn't as concerned, if it were 5 days straight it would be around 1.5 lbs.

Owenst7

WKR
I shoot for about 2500 call/day at 20oz packaged. Some days I'm up to 22oz since I have about 3 different arrangements to avoid getting bored. Others are 18 oz. I shoot for 100 grams of protein, and the days I pack foil packs of smoked salmon get me due to the water weight. Field Trip brand beef jerky has a ton of protein per ounce.

FlyGuy

WKR
3000/day at about 1.5lbs per bag I what I typically consume. I will throw in another 100-300 cal per bag though. Yes, that means I will be packing out uneaten food, but it gives me a little variety on a daily basis, and it also means that I can usually stretch out a trip by another day or so if needed.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

It’s hard for me to plan how many calories I need for this trip, because I’m very hit or miss when it comes to having an appetite while backpacking. To be on the safe side, I’ll be sticking with 2750-3000 calories per day for my elk hunting trip. This should be more than enough calories to keep me fueled for 6 days of hard hunting in the mountains.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
2a96fd58d2aab5eba049f5d3849d5a4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk