Rei now

Zork

FNG
And some of us wish some of you would either stay out of politics or educate yourselves. Some of us are gun owners who don't give a **** about owning AR15s and place a higher value on the preserving the places and opportunities we have to hunt. REI has done far more for your hunting opportunities than the NRA ever will...but I digress. Carry on and continue voting in the gun protecting leeches selling off your hunting grounds.

OP
Cant hit em
And some of us wish some of you would either stay out of politics or educate yourselves. Some of us are gun owners who don't give a **** about owning AR15s and place a higher value on the preserving the places and opportunities we have to hunt. REI has done far more for your hunting opportunities than the NRA ever will...but I digress. Carry on and continue voting in the gun protecting leeches selling off your hunting grounds.

Its not just about Ar15’s witch i don’t own and never probably will. Its about the 2nd amendment and law abiding citizens, when does the regulation and laws stop , you give an inch they take a mile. You wont have to worry about hunting grounds if you have no weapon to hunt with , they start with guns then move on to archery and eventually knives cause they “kill” people. Here in Cali they are already starting in on fishing tackle.

Zork

FNG
Its not just about Ar15’s witch i don’t own and never probably will. Its about the 2nd amendment and law abiding citizens, when does the regulation and laws stop , you give an inch they take a mile. You wont have to worry about hunting grounds if you have no weapon to hunt with , they start with guns then move on to archery and eventually knives cause they “kill” people. Here in Cali they are already starting in on fishing tackle.

I understand this argument, but this gun paranoia is shooting us all in the foot on pretty much every other issue related to being outdoorsman. In a perfect world, you could vote pro-gun and for the protection of public lands, the game we hunt, etc but it unfortunately doesnt work like that.

So I feel it necessary to point out that it is not only "city liberals" that vote left. There are hunters/fisherman and folks who have spent their entire lives outside and place higher value on the protection of those places than some other issues.

Be well.

REI should be able to sell whatever to whomever they please. I don't take any issue with that.

You can absolutely be a gun owner/hunter without caring about the 2nd amendment, for now at least. I happen to be a 2nd amendment supporter who also really likes to hunt. I think its unfair to expect anyone to care more deeply about hunting then the 2nd amendment.

OP
Cant hit em
I understand this argument, but this gun paranoia is shooting us all in the foot on pretty much every other issue related to being outdoorsman. In a perfect world, you could vote pro-gun and for the protection of public lands, the game we hunt, etc but it unfortunately doesnt work like that.

So I feel it necessary to point out that it is not only "city liberals" that vote left. There are hunters/fisherman and folks who have spent their entire lives outside and place higher value on the protection of those places than some other issues.

Be well.

I respect that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmden

WKR
You can email REI at: [email protected]. I recently did.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear REI,

I've been a member since the early 1990s. My membership number is 2402267. I have it memorized. However, I will now make it a point to not buy anything from you anymore unless you reverse your recent shallow, kneejerk reaction against Vista Outdoors which betrays your core lack of understanding of the issue. I will also be canceling my REI credit card.

Did the gun the killer used pull it's own trigger? We have a people problem, not a gun problem.

Alcohol kills several times more people every year than does guns. Perhaps we should try prohibition? Oh...wait. We tried that and it didn't work. Try the same thing with guns and only the criminals will have guns! This is the road REI is helping to pave, whether you realize it or not.

There are about 30,000 homicides in this country with some fool using a gun as the tool do do this. Does REI know that approximatley 2/3 of those deaths are suicides? They will find a way whether there is a gun around or not! Do you also realize that Washington State, in all it's intellectual grandeur, allows physician assisted suicide? Ummm...2/3 of gun deaths are suicide and we are up in arms, but the state allows physician assisted suicide. What?

People are screaming that the NRA is killing our kids and many of the same people are pro-choice and screaming that they should be able to kill babies in the womb, the place they should be most safe. Ummm...what?

Does REI know that more people are killed with hammers/clubs in this country each year than all rifles, let alone modern sporting rifles? Lets outlaw hammers. Knives too. And, REI shouldn't sell those. Let's be consistent REI.

Does REI know that best estimates (because crime preventions are not 'reported') indicated that 2.5 million times a year in this country that a gun is used in self defense in prevention of a crime, often with only showing the gun being enough to stave off the perpetrator?

Does REI know that the AR in AR-15 does not stand for 'Assault Rifle' or 'Automatic Rifle' as the press and many of those who make our laws so ignorantly believe? It's an abbreviation for 'Armalite', the company that popularized the design many years ago. Does REI know that the terms 'assualt rifle' and 'assault weapon' are false terms--do the research. Only the military has automatic assault rifles and weapons. Automatic weapons were outlawed in 1934! Machine guns are 'automatic' and illegal under the 1934 law. Does REI know that the AR-15 is simply a common type of semi-automatic rifle, semi-automatics having been available for a hundred years?

Does REI know the difference between semi-automatic and automatic rifles?

Does REI recognize how law enforcement, Obama/Holder Promise Program, and the school district in Parkland, FL, at nearly every level absolutely failed these kids and families at Parkland? FBI and the Sheriff and the school district failed to react appropriately to the killer beforehand even though there was a huge number of warnings. The Federal background check failed, perhaps in large part to the Obama/Holder era Promise Program, which also supported law enforcement and school districts to not deal correctly with and report certains types of student crimes--all in an effort to reduce the number of young minorities in prison. If you deserve to be in prison, you should be in prision. Period. Do we discriminate in this regard based on skin color? That is shallow.

So, with all these failures of government, we, what, want to give government more control over our lives with more regulation to solve the problem? Hmm...

Does REI realize that the AR-15 is the most popular legal rifle in the US with over 10 million in existence and that 99.999% of the people that own them are absolutely law abiding people, of which you are now warring against? Your reasoning here amounts to me saying that since one person drove a car and killed someone, all cars should be taken away even though 99.999% of people will never kill someone with a car. That's where the bandwagon that REI has jumped on is headed--don't be deceived. Yet, REI is willing to jump on this rickety political correctness bandwagon and help assist and apply pressure towards denying the natural rights, merely written in the US Constitution, not given us by the government, of millions of people in this country.

Shameful.

Your stance is not going unoticed by many of us that love the outdoors and have been members or purchasers for decades and I believe you are actively disenfranchising many customers.

Frankly, I hope it hurts your bottom line.

I would be happy to come talk to the Board of Directors about this issue.

I could go on like this for a long time, but the abject ignorance and emotionality of many that help support and make a decision like this is difficult to put into words.

This is little more than foolish political correctness. And REI has fallen for it. Dumb.

Check the stats on alcohol related deaths: "Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years."

Are you going to come out against alcohol now...something that contributes to several times the number of deaths than 'guns'? Let's be consistent, REI.

We have a people problem, not a gun problem. Get it straight. The more we remove the absolutes of Judeo-Christian values from society, the more society (individuals, families, etc.) degrades at every turn. THAT is at the core of the issues we have. And yet, REI chooses to pick an politically progressive/liberal cause to support and convienent straw man to wage war against. Way to get to the core of the problem, REI. Really helpful.

I am also an avid hunter, NRA Endowment Member, climber, hiker, sea kayaker, etc. Has it become a mission of REI to discriminate and determine which types of outdoor activities you find 'politically correct' and acceptable?

Dumb.

You would do best to keep your nose out of political discussions of any kind. Please reverse this decision and refuse to stray into politics. You simply and foolishly open a pandoras box.

Sincerely,

Jon Denham

dtrkyman

WKR
They are pandering to their bread and butter, let them know your opinions however you see fit, they will lose a few gun owners but not enough for them to worry about I doubt. After a few years many will go back to buying from them.

I am in a situation with friends on both sides that are intelligent enough to leave the emotion out of it, both sides have valid points, most against guns no nothing of the actual "common sense gun laws" they ask for, I had a discussion with a few of them about it and they were shocked at the actual process to buy a gun here in Illinois.

In my opinion some type of education/training before buying firearms is feasible, many "gun" folk get their feathers ruffled over these types of things but it makes sense to me.

boom

WKR
i just did a quick search.

i search "mass shooting" on rokslide. i see that the last time it came up was the horrific Las Vegas shooting.

i did not find a single thread on the recent Florida event.

RIP to all the victims at those two catastrophic events. my heart breaks for the families. the ones left behind.

there are MORE gun rights threads than ones about the actual shootings. not reading into it that much.. i love my guns. i own a lot of them. REI? i like that store..i wonder when i'll get my dividend check. i'm not worried about REI's bottom line. they are not a gun store, or a hunting store. they never were as far as i can remember. it isnt a far reach to think they went the way they did.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
...REI has done far more for your hunting opportunities than the NRA ever will...but I digress. Carry on and continue voting in the gun protecting leeches selling off your hunting grounds.

That's actually a pretty uninformed statement considering REI's donation history. Not saying you have to tote the NRA flag or be a conservative, but if you're going to come in guns blazing and imply everyone else is uneducated, you should probably stay away from typing straight up BS.

I personally think REI's position will actually net them additional money. That's a company which completely understands their customer base and knows what demographics are fueling their engine. Hunters and gun people are likely of little economic importance to REI's bottom line. Losing a few of their minority customers won't make any economic difference. Standing on one's principles is a GOOD thing, but it doesn't always yield results. I would bet that REI's current position with Vista will curry the favor of their mainstream, non-gun crowd and ultimately benefit them. Strange world.

All of these moves in recent days by Dick's, Walmart and now REI are not political, just business decisions. When the the majority of the public feels a certain way it wouldn't make any sense for a big business to go the opposite way.

cliffyj

FNG
I went ahead and had them cancel my membership. Though small gesture I just wanted to give them feedback that I thought there was no real reason to quit carrying Vista Outdoor brands. Figure like has been brought up it is a marketing decision vs a real attempt to change anything which annoys me more than what side of the fence they are on. Though naturally Vista brands have a relationship with the NRA which is logical based on the majority of their sub brands, to call them out like that for no real reason just seems ridiculous.

I tend to vote in favor of my convictions as a Christian first, my rights as an American second and my privileges third. I realize others have different priorities though and respect it.

Be well.

While you're correct people do vote this way, there is no constitutional amendment that guarantees you or I or anyone else public land to hunt on. I love our public lands, would dearly miss them if they get sold, but also realize unlike 2A it's not the govts responsibility to provide me a place to hunt

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
All of these moves in recent days by Dick's, Walmart and now REI are not political, just business decisions. When the the majority of the public feels a certain way it wouldn't make any sense for a big business to go the opposite way.[/QUOTE

Not sure where to start with that one... Oh boy. Not enough time in the day, airlock.

Business decisions? Dick's? It wasn't Dick's and it was Dick's! Dick’s Sporting Goods: Assault weapons won't be sold at Field & Stream | News & Observer (Another article written by and fact and gun ignorant writer, but nonetheless...) It was their 'Field and Stream' stores they sold modern sporting rifles in and recently stopped doing so. After Sandy Hook, Dick's said they would stop selling modern sporting rifles in Dick's stores. So they sold them in their Field and Stream stores instead. So, now Dick's has quit selling modern sporting rifles 2x with lots of free media from an adoring liberal press. Got Dick's CEO an automatic and great amount of free press...again. Hmm...

Majority? How is that determined accurately? By CNN poll? There's no way to know that and often polls are very misleading if not purposefully false or questions are asked in a leading manner. Yep, high confidence in polls. Remember when Hillary was supposed to win the Presidency? Even if it is correct it is only because of the lack of understanding and unreasoned reaction of the vastly liberal press, etc. that has imparted an indoctinated an ill-informed one-sided view to the public. I wouldn't expect anything differently.

jmden

WKR
BTW, guys, I got an email today from the NRA. I've been thinking of upgrading my Endowment Membership to Patron Life, the 'top' membership level, but it was a $1500 jump! Email came and I could do it for $300. Did it and signed up my wife as a member. They need members, guys. Sign people up.

The NRA is the largest and oldest civil rights groups there is. And, I would venture to say that many of us would not be using firearms as we do if it were not for them. Certainly not a perfect organiztion, but just about the only floating ship with common sense (very little of this left in this country) firepower against an armada of liberal press and 'educators'.

Help yourself by helping them.

The founders, clearly much more than many in this country understand, understood tyranny. They'd just lived through it and liberated themselves from it at an incredibly high cost of lives lost and then they created the 2nd Ammendment as as a safeguard against governmental tyranny in the future. It is our civic duty to support the 2nd and those that don't live in a fairly land and ignore history.

topher89

WKR
i just did a quick search.

i search "mass shooting" on rokslide. i see that the last time it came up was the horrific Las Vegas shooting.

i did not find a single thread on the recent Florida event.

RIP to all the victims at those two catastrophic events. my heart breaks for the families. the ones left behind.

there are MORE gun rights threads than ones about the actual shootings. not reading into it that much.. i love my guns. i own a lot of them. REI? i like that store..i wonder when i'll get my dividend check. i'm not worried about REI's bottom line. they are not a gun store, or a hunting store. they never were as far as i can remember. it isnt a far reach to think they went the way they did.

Great post.

I think people care less about gun control than they act. I think people are sick of mass shootings, sicks of politicians doing nothing and sick of the NRA being obstructionist. The NRA and many Republicans always says its not a gun problem but is a mental health problem. If that is what they believe, what are they doing to fix it?

I think if there was any measurable action being taken on stopping and preventing mass shootings, the average joe blow voter would not care about gun control. But at this point, nothing is happening.