Rei now

Diesel

WKR
The beauty of capitalism is that when there is a need or void, some entity will step up and fill it. Dick's/ Field and Stream and wal mart's position on guns will be a boon to some other hunter oriented company. So when one door closes another opens. Just need a strategy to profit from their capitulation.

OP
Cant hit em
Great post.

I think people care less about gun control than they act. I think people are sick of mass shootings, sicks of politicians doing nothing and sick of the NRA being obstructionist. The NRA and many Republicans always says its not a gun problem but is a mental health problem. If that is what they believe, what are they doing to fix it?

I think if there was any measurable action being taken on stopping and preventing mass shootings, the average joe blow voter would not care about gun control. But at this point, nothing is happening.

I believe the Dems controlled everything for 8 years prior and there were quit a few mass shootings and did nothing for mental health or to curtail the shootings that “guns” caused . NRA supports the rights of law abiding citizens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I too just canceled my membership and after words sent a letter as I don't believe the lady (spoiled child) that took my call actually took my statement she said I could give. When I started my statement she got irate and started trying to talk over me, felt like I was on Tucker Carlson.

Z Williams you really need to take your blinders off and open your eyes. Look at California their already drafting legislation to ban magazine fed semi autos like the M1 carbine, mini-14, and M-14, This is said to "not affect most .22s" read ruger 10-22s. You know what the next step is? they will start saying we don't need these "high powered sniper rifles to hunt with" This isn't a hunting issue its a 2nd amendment issue and will affect the whole country at some point if something isn't done about it and a stance isnt made. Our current government isn't far from going full retard regarding the 2nd. You people need to realize the fire under the pot of water your standing on has been lit.

Oh and here is the letter I sent to rei;
Hello,
To whom it may concern I am writing this email to express my displeasure with your co-ops anti constitutional stance on the second amendment, and apparently the first amendment. After being a member of rei since I believe 1990 I called to cancel my membership after hearing your stance against my 2nd amendment rights. The lady that answered the phone told me I could leave a comment with her but after I started to dictate my statement she started talking over me as she apparently didn't like what I had to say. It was obvious she didn't take down anything I said, and a soon as I finished she rudely informed me that "your membership has been canceled" and hung up on me. This call has made it obvious that rei only acknowledges opinions that agree with theirs, and are willing to suppress the first amendment rights of those that don't agree with rei. I'm only one voice but I'm going to raise that voice as loud as I can and cause you to loose as many members as possible through every website, forum and social media site I can and urge others to do the same.

Richard

Richard

Not sure where to start with that one... Oh boy. Not enough time in the day, airlock.

Business decisions? Dick's? It wasn't Dick's and it was Dick's! Dick’s Sporting Goods: Assault weapons won't be sold at Field & Stream | News & Observer (Another article written by and fact and gun ignorant writer, but nonetheless...) It was their 'Field and Stream' stores they sold modern sporting rifles in and recently stopped doing so. After Sandy Hook, Dick's said they would stop selling modern sporting rifles in Dick's stores. So they sold them in their Field and Stream stores instead. So, now Dick's has quit selling modern sporting rifles 2x with lots of free media from an adoring liberal press. Got Dick's CEO an automatic and great amount of free press...again. Hmm...

Majority? How is that determined accurately? By CNN poll? There's no way to know that and often polls are very misleading if not purposefully false or questions are asked in a leading manner. Yep, high confidence in polls. Remember when Hillary was supposed to win the Presidency? Even if it is correct it is only because of the lack of understanding and unreasoned reaction of the vastly liberal press, etc. that has imparted an indoctinated an ill-informed one-sided view to the public. I wouldn't expect anything differently.
My point stands, these are business decisions, nothing more.

I like the option of having an REI store within a short drive and although I don't do a ton of shopping there (as evidenced by my annual dividends), I do occasionally go there when I know they will have a specialty item that I need now and no one else in the area will have it. It's also nice to be able to go get fitted for, and purchase, a high quality climbing boot, take it up in the mountains for a few hikes, find out that they don't quite work for your feet, and take them back for a full refund. I've never actually done it, but when I purchased a $400+ pair of Scarpa mountaineering boots I was told to do just that, "Take them out for a couple weeks and try them, if they don't work, just return them and we'll give you a full refund". I think that I've pretty much always known that REI is not a pro-gun/pro-hunting store, but up here many of our REI employees hunt and a few of them are WAY into mountain hunting, so it's not too hard to find an employee to talk to about a particular product and get their educated opinion on how it may or may not work for a particular hunting situation. Oh and lastly, I tend to limit my shopping there to when they are having big sales or when they put out their 20% off coupon, and I've been able to get some pretty great deals over the years.

topher89

WKR
I believe the Dems controlled everything for 8 years prior and there were quit a few mass shootings and did nothing for mental health or to curtail the shootings that “guns” caused . NRA supports the rights of law abiding citizens

Agreed, Democrats are just as guilty as Republicans as not doing anything.

blackdawg

WKR
I for some reason thought REI was a member owned cooperative. If that is the case it speaks volumes to who the members really must be! Doesn’t sound like any of these people would EVER take a pro hunting stance on any issue. All indications are also that if you don’t agree with their viewpoint you then are the enemy. Sounds like the liberal lack of common sense and desire to erode the fabric this country was built on dictates the direction of the REI “Coop”. How could putting even one penny in the jar of a company that would sell you out so easily be considered wise and a proper use of good common sense, shouldn’t you try and defend any of your interests, odds are if you hunt you have a differing opinion?Perhaps a more practical common sense approach would be, rather than cancelling the Lifetime membership,show up unannounced to the annual board of directors meeting everyone is annually invited to and get a real earful regarding the true purpose and direction of this “Coop”, then disseminate the intel you gathered on social media, etc. I suspect a good gathering of Lifetime members together for a membership card burning event filmed
22507247238d56a6c7f3d64817643bf8.jpg
for all the youtubers would create quite a social media uproar. On another note, could anyone enlighten me to any teenagers or college students that were blessed with enough wisdom to be invited to help draft the United States Constitution, Bill of Rights or any Amendments in this country’s history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another one bites the dust. REI is basically "bowing up" here with an ANTI gun stance. I appreciate that they came out of the closet. They have been suspect for some time as many of you know and I now shall take my business elsewhere .

Never shopped at REI, cause of their obvious positions. Much more options out there any way. And I don't have to deal with a snowflake.
With that said many boycott Jet boil cause they are no pro hunting. Yet Cabelas and the like sell their stuff, and we all buy fro Cabelas or the like.
Its the long arms of the octopus that is every where.
I am happy for the other stores that can now profit off the AR platform. I went to my local gun shop, he said he will not put a price tag on his AR's cause they are sold out every where and the price changes daily.

There was another shooting at a college campus this morning. Some kid killed his own mom and dad who were there to pick him up for spring break .
That is not a gun issue.
That is mental issue.
He was admitted real recent for a drug OD.
Perhaps the talks should switch from gun control cause they don't go any where, to what is wrong with this generation. Why is this generation troubled more so than any before it. What in society has changed? Attacking guns is a safe way to feel like you are doing something useful, but in the end it will only pet your emotional moral compass, it wont fix what is wrong.
The answers don't seem hard to see to me. For generations we had no issues, now we do?
Don't let the media machines dictate your talking points and influence your ideas men.

Mosby

WKR
I frequently shop at REI. I have an REI credit card. I actually was planning on going over to REI today but that got cancelled when I read this thread. I do not need them and I am cancelling my cc. My Cabelas card works just fine. They just lost a long time customer.

Great post.

I think people care less about gun control than they act. I think people are sick of mass shootings, sicks of politicians doing nothing and sick of the NRA being obstructionist. The NRA and many Republicans always says its not a gun problem but is a mental health problem. If that is what they believe, what are they doing to fix it?

I think if there was any measurable action being taken on stopping and preventing mass shootings, the average joe blow voter would not care about gun control. But at this point, nothing is happening.
Im all ears if you have some deas on how to legislate against crazy. Murder being illegal and all...

topher89

WKR
Im all ears if you have some deas on how to legislate against crazy. Murder being illegal and all...

Thanks for a productive post that supports the point I am making.

I would wager more people are frustrated with in-action above anything else. Guns because an easy target when everyone is mad about politicians copping out with statements like the one you just made.

You are right, we can'e legislate against crazy but we can provide a bigger, more responsive mental health support system in this country.

CoHiCntry

WKR
How are you guy’s canceling your membership? By calling the store or calling the corporate office or something? I’m gonna cancel mine too. Probably won’t bother writing a letter or something else that will just go in the trash. Just want to cancel & let them know why, fwiw...

Billinsd

WKR
REI now is like REI in the past in my opinion here in San Diego. Pro Sierra Clubber, anti hunting and anti gun. I usually take a couple photos of Prius cars with real liberal stickers and text to my buddies and say, hey guess where I am. I hardly ever buy stuff there unless it's on clearance. I mostly go in to just look around at stuff for grins.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Thats what their actions show

The anti hunting I've experienced by their sales staff and customers. I learned in the 90s not to tell anyone there I'm a hunter. I got remarks, like, I hope you don't shoot people when you are hunting, or I hope you don't shoot an elk.

topher89

WKR
The anti hunting I've experienced by their sales staff and customers. I learned in the 90s not to tell anyone there I'm a hunter. I got remarks, like, I hope you don't shoot people when you are hunting, or I hope you don't shoot an elk.

Huh, I have only gotten positive comments about hunting there. I have never met an employee for was a hunter but lots of fly fishers. When I mention hunting I get curious questions but everyone has been positive

Billinsd

WKR
Another thing I don't like at the San Diego Store is their sales staff is real righteous and know EVERYTHING!! I've gone in their to try on some boots I've researched online to have a salesperson, usual a woman, look down her nose at me and try and "educate" me. The last time I came in to try on some boots and had my work boots on. The saleswoman gasped in disgust!!! I had on cotton socks. OMG you know how wrong that is she told me. I said they are work boots and my feet are fine. I wear wool socks on my outdoor boots, no I sure didn't say hunting boots. She gave me a similar pair of wool socks I use for my hunting boots to try on with the boots. But she was really rattled. I don't know maybe wearing cotton socks in California is a punishable offence. I know cotton is a poor material for socks and outdoor gear, but the condiscending, patronizing attitude.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Huh, I have only gotten positive comments about hunting there. I have never met an employee for was a hunter but lots of fly fishers. When I mention hunting I get curious questions but everyone has been positive
It's probably a regional thing. I'm talking San Diego. Their other stores in Orange County and one by Upland seemed to have friendler, less righteous staff. Not all staff at San Diego store are, but some are.