Rei now

I don't know if it is or isn't. However, making, consuming, transporting alcohol is not a right guaranteed in the Constitution. The right to bear arms is in the constitution and it states that right shall not be infringed upon. It has been greatly infringed upon and there have been many compromises. If it's infringed upon much more or if there are many more compromises, we will be left with the right to own a single shot 22 short rifle and have to register every round. LOL You just have to look at Canada or Australia, do you want that? That's the best case example. I don't want to be like Canada or Australia and remember they never had the right to bear arms in their constitution. Our great country is unique, we love our freedom and liberty more than anything, or used to. Give me liberty or give me death. Damn the torpedos full speed ahead. I have not yet begun to fight. The schools my wife has worked at named after our patriots don't have statues of them or even a poster or explanation of who the school was named after and why. My wife worked at a school and a poster of the person the school was named after was stuck on the inside door of a closet!!! That's what we have become and that is why liberty is slipping through our fingers.

Actually at this point I think somewhere between what we have now here and what Canada/Australia has is a good place to look.
Look at how many kids where killed in mass shooting events in Canada and Australia... crap why would we want those statistics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually at this point I think somewhere between what we have now here and what Canada/Australia has is a good place to look.
Look at how many kids where killed in mass shooting events in Canada and Australia... crap why would we want those statistics?

I think we can all agree that we want these shooting to stop. I think if laws and restrictions were going make a difference they would have by now.

Canada also just passed Bill c-16. Look it up and ask yourself if you want to live in a country like that. It sounds extreme to us in this day and age but the 2nd protects the 1st.

I for one will not live in a country when my speech is restricted. I for one believe the 2nd amendment will at some point in Americas future play a part.

It's a circular argument and I don't think many of us are likely to swap sides.

I am convinced the NRA gets most of its direction from gun/ammo manufacturers, the majority of which are not American and see 2A as strictly a business opportunity to provoke paranoia among the flock. That is how I am voting, w my $ and @ the ballot. And, among hunters and gun owners, I am not alone.

Actually, the National Shooting Sports Foundation is the lobbying group for the gun manufacturers. (NSSF | National Shooting Sports Foundation | Firearms Industry Trade Association). Their website says right in the front: "THE FIREARMS INDUSTRY TRADE ASSOCIATION".

Please STOP believing the media and try to get your news information from multiple sources.

The NRA is made up of people like me, normal dudes who want to protect their rights. We are a grass roots organization that all other political organizations strive to be as effective as.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm looking into an REI membership because of their politics on public lands, and their resistance to the NRA. I have disagreed w NRA on limiting access to military-style weapons for 30 years, also on claiming to speak for hunters while remaining silent on PLT and campaigning on behalf of its advocates. I think the NRA-sponsored push for universal reciprocal concealed carry defies the right of states to determine their own concealed-carry policy. I am convinced the NRA gets most of its direction from gun/ammo manufacturers, the majority of which are not American and see 2A as strictly a business opportunity to provoke paranoia among the flock. That is how I am voting, w my $ and @ the ballot. And, among hunters and gun owners, I am not alone.
What gun hasn't been a military style weapon at one time?

Actually, the National Shooting Sports Foundation is the lobbying group for the gun manufacturers. (NSSF | National Shooting Sports Foundation | Firearms Industry Trade Association). Their website says right in the front: "THE FIREARMS INDUSTRY TRADE ASSOCIATION".

Please STOP believing the media and try to get your news information from multiple sources.

The NRA is made up of people like me, normal dudes who want to protect their rights. We are a grass roots organization that all other political organizations strive to be as effective as.

I’m sorry but i just cannot buy into that. The upper brass at the NRA would not give 2 craps about gun rights if we were not spending billions. I think it is incredibly naive to believe otherwise. Sure that’s what they want you to believe but there are a bunch of people getting very rich off of “defending the 2nd amendment.”

jmden

WKR
alcohol is also one of the most heavily regulated products in America. As far as the "gun loving" comment. Yah I guess i need to work on my own nomenclature. I am pretty fond of my guns myself. Las week i got raked over the coals for referring to those on the outer edges of reality in the gun world as "gun nuts." Frankly, i am kind of a gun nut...i didnt think it was that bad. Anyway, I tried to soften that up. I need to find something better to describe the lunatic fringe...

Regulating alcohol doesn't work in that it still kill 88,000 Americans a year. Several times what all 'guns' (people) kill even though 2/3 of those 'gun' (people) deaths are suicides. We should probably take alcohol away as it is statistically much more lethal than guns...right?

jmden

WKR
I’m sorry but i just cannot buy into that. The upper brass at the NRA would not give 2 craps about gun rights if we were not spending billions. I think it is incredibly naive to believe otherwise. Sure that’s what they want you to believe but there are a bunch of people getting very rich off of “defending the 2nd amendment.”

There is a very inflated concept out there of how much money the NRA spends propagated by, um...who? Oh, the liberal press. The NRA does not have 'billions'. It doesn't even have that many millions compared to many liberal donors that are individuals let alone organizations composed of 5 million members. In 2013 it revenue of about 350 million.

We all have biases but it's a good idea to research both sides of an issue. It seems pretty clear where you get your information from at this point. The road for me to better understand this stuff has taken years as I was once indoctrinated into the same thinking I see here. Wow, is there another side to the story... Do some serious research on how much the NRA contributes and get back to us.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not paid for this endorsement but both gohunt and sandsarchery are great alternativess to REI! Hunting companies with the good brands.

PNWGATOR

WKR
#metoo. Same cookie cutter, don’t give two sh!ts response.

Good riddance.

Spending my hard earned US dollars elsewhere.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my dividend in the mail of 5 bucks going to wait until I can cash it and go buy a box off .22s with it.

Richard

A little more proof that REI doesn't want to be associated with hunters. We hunters are like a fat chick. They don't want to be seen with us but...

Why I quit REI |

I find this to be much more telling than their position on a company that sells firearms, bike helmets and camelbak's. I'm not a gun nut, I'm a hunter. There are plenty of other outdoor equipment suppliers to provide me with what I need so maybe it's time that I steer away from REI and the membership I've had for decades.

Oh by the way. My dad has a 4 digit REI membership number. And it starts with a 1. We've been an REI family since long before I was born. But my bucks stop here.

Last edited:
I'm looking into an REI membership because of their politics on public lands, and their resistance to the NRA. I have disagreed w NRA on limiting access to military-style weapons for 30 years, also on claiming to speak for hunters while remaining silent on PLT and campaigning on behalf of its advocates. I think the NRA-sponsored push for universal reciprocal concealed carry defies the right of states to determine their own concealed-carry policy. I am convinced the NRA gets most of its direction from gun/ammo manufacturers, the majority of which are not American and see 2A as strictly a business opportunity to provoke paranoia among the flock. That is how I am voting, w my $ and @ the ballot. And, among hunters and gun owners, I am not alone.

Well In that case note that Vista wrote a check for over 80 million last year that went to conservation, REI has done a total of 77million over last 40 years. Why doesn’t REI match it?

This is extremely inaccurate. I've met some of the top brass in the NRA, it takes all of 30 seconds to realize that they are everybit as concerned about protection of 2A as anyone..... likely more. Just because they're making a career out of it doesn't mean they aren't passionate about it. I whole heartedly believe if Cox and LaPierre weren't up the NRA chain they would still be every bit as active regarding gun rights..... with or without a paycheck.

There is a very inflated concept out there of how much money the NRA spends propagated by, um...who? Oh, the liberal press. The NRA does not have 'billions'. It doesn't even have that many millions compared to many liberal donors that are individuals let alone organizations composed of 5 million members. In 2013 it revenue of about 350 million.

We all have biases but it's a good idea to research both sides of an issue. It seems pretty clear where you get your information from at this point. The road for me to better understand this stuff has taken years as I was once indoctrinated into the same thinking I see here. Wow, is there another side to the story... Do some serious research on how much the NRA contributes and get back to us.

NO WHERE did i say the NRA had billions (I know that reading comprehension thing can be tough). We are spending that on firearms...the gun industry.... the organizations scratching the backs of the NRA. Any yes top officials in the NRA are making a ton of money off of it and donating a little over 2 million dollars a year to politicians at the federal level to keep the gun industry (a billion dollar industry) alive. Those figures are very accurately reported. defending the 2nd amendment is a huge industry within itself. Political leaders gain the most. none of that can even be denied. I will never give the NRA a dime. At one time I did but they lost me. As far as I am concerned they are so out of touch with the American base and even most hunters I cannot support them.

jmden

WKR
NO WHERE did i say the NRA had billions (I know that reading comprehension thing can be tough). We are spending that on firearms...the gun industry.... the organizations scratching the backs of the NRA. Any yes top officials in the NRA are making a ton of money off of it and donating a little over 2 million dollars a year to politicians at the federal level to keep the gun industry (a billion dollar industry) alive. Those figures are very accurately reported. defending the 2nd amendment is a huge industry within itself. Political leaders gain the most. none of that can even be denied. I will never give the NRA a dime. At one time I did but they lost me. As far as I am concerned they are so out of touch with the American base and even most hunters I cannot support them.

I must've misread the intent of your 'billions' part of your post. Could be that you could've communicated your intent better? It's certainly not clear. Writing can be tough, I know.

Many would believe that you are simply disconnected from reality and drinking the koolaid. But don't worry. The 2nd Amendment, supported by the NRA, is there it help make sure the 1st Amendment is there so that you can write whatever you want, for the most part, whether it's accurate or not.

Show me the numbers that say that most hunters cannot support them. That's a broad stroke begging for evidence. Even if that is true, it comes down to education on what the NRA does vs. a liberal, politically correct mega press and public education (in general) machine they are fighting against that many cower to without understanding the other side of the issue. Much of it's raised money goes to support gun safety programs and hunter education and most of it'd donations are small individual amounts. Even a CNN article says so.

The money powering the NRA

Even CNBC can see that the NRA's influence and 'power' is widely overstated. It's the liberal press that makes them the target: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/nra-money-isnt-why-gun-control-efforts-are-failing-commentary.html

Billinsd

WKR
I must've misread the intent of your 'billions' part of your post. Could be that you could've communicated your intent better? It's certainly not clear. Writing can be tough, I know.

Many would believe that you are simply disconnected from reality and drinking the koolaid. But don't worry. The 2nd Amendment, supported by the NRA, is there it help make sure the 1st Amendment is there so that you can write whatever you want, for the most part, whether it's accurate or not.

Show me the numbers that say that most hunters cannot support them. That's a broad stroke begging for evidence. Even if that is true, it comes down to education on what the NRA does vs. a liberal, politically correct mega press and public education (in general) machine they are fighting against that many cower to without understanding the other side of the issue. Much of it's raised money goes to support gun safety programs and hunter education and most of it'd donations are small individual amounts. Even a CNN article says so.

The money powering the NRA

Even CNBC can see that the NRA's influence and 'power' is widely overstated. It's the liberal press that makes them the target: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/nra-money-isnt-why-gun-control-efforts-are-failing-commentary.html
This is what Huntingdog45 wrote "I’m sorry but i just cannot buy into that. The upper brass at the NRA would not give 2 craps about gun rights if we were not spending billions. I think it is incredibly naive to believe otherwise. Sure that’s what they want you to believe but there are a bunch of people getting very rich off of “defending the 2nd amendment.”It's unclear by what he wrote whether he meant by "we are giving billions to the NRA or to buy guns". That's because he wrote "if we weren't spending billions" and didn't finish his sentence with "on guns". Don't feel bad jmden, your reading comprehension skills seem fine!!

Huntingdog45 is saying and I'm kinda paraphrasing. that we are spending billions on guns, who are the gun industry who are scratching the backs of the NRA. The NRA top officials are making a ton of money off of this and are donating a little over 2 million to politicians at the federal level to keep the gun industry alive. He says those figures are very accurately reported. I'll ask by who?

He says defending the 2nd Amendment is a huge industry within itself. I'd say that the NRA receives millions of dollars from members and the gun industry, yes. And the NRA donates money to politicians, right. Then he says that the politicians gain the most? What is gained?

It seems like what he is saying is the Gun Industry and the NRA and politicians is a big racket? He says non of this can be denied, yet his argument is weakly worded and poorly supported. Oh and he gives absolutely zero back up or sources for his information.

I don't disagree for one moment that the gun industry probably donates a lot of money to the NRA. I'm sure some of the reasons is they sell guns and want to continue to sell guns, of course. There is nothing wrong with that, not to me. I also believe that a large portion of the NRA funds come from NRA members like me, who am a life member.

So to all this I'll say to Huntindog45, so what? The gun industry gives the NRA a lot of money and so do people like me. The less restrictions and regulations the easier it is for the gun industry to sell more guns. The NRA donates money to politicians. Of course they do they are a lobby group that supports the 2nd Amendment. This is part of their job. I'll say it again, so what?

The NRA is out of touch with the American base? Says who? And even most hunters? You can't be serious? However, the NRA is not perfect and I know some that would rather have different spokespeople with a little different tone. However, it's real rare to hear hunters say the NRA is out of touch, at least for me. Look at this forum for example.

Bill

BuzzH

WKR
The NRA is out of touch with this Hunter, they lost me a long time ago. THEY told me its not about hunting and my deer rifle...and they're right, its not.

The NRA not only said it, they've removed all doubt when they've taken positions that absolutely have negative impacts on my public lands and my public wildlife. Not to mention what they don't say, when they should, if they really were "in touch" with hunters and public lands.

They need to stick to the 2nd amendment issue, period.