Rei now

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just lost a few billion brain cells trying to find any logic in their statement.

Rei sucks anyways. Most of their stuff is geared towards weekend warrior kooks.

The problem seems It's not as if we can really get away from spending dollars at anti gun businesses..

PayPal/eBay, amazon

It's clueless middle class suburban moms who lead The charge and businesses are in a no win situation.

The problem seems It's not as if we can really get away from spending dollars at anti gun businesses...

Tentacles. That's what's growing right now. Or maybe it's seeds. I personally think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg potentially. I think the fact that corporations are distancing themselves from things deemed controversial...related to guns here...is an obvious clue to the future.

We can't boycott or avoid every company which has a gun-control stance. The way its going we'd end up naked and starving.

gumbl3

WKR
Meanwhile they sell 2/3 of their stuff that's manufactured in China, Vietnam, or El Salvador by some sweat shop worker that's making $2 day working 7 days a week.

adamm88

WKR
I enjoy REI (stores) and we (wife and I) buy a considerable amount of stuff from REI every year. Most of my FD meals come from there. So do things like hiking boots, Arcteryx stuff, and a certain amount of my camping supplies. I probably spend $7 online there for every $1 spent in a store, simply because it's 2 hours to the nearest one. I remember when REI was a boutique shop in Seattle catering to climbers, hikers and hardcore adventurers. My older brother worked in their store back in the early '70s.

And of course now REI occupies retail space next to Nordstrom's and Whole Foods. The Sierra Club mentality is strong in there. But I think I'm seeing more of that as retail outdoor gear businesses change. I know some very nice outdoor shops in Cincinnati, Louisville and Columbus which cater to the spendier side of outdoor folks. You can't talk guns or hunting in there because it's a foreign language to most. But if you need a kayak, kerchief or pretty carabiner...they've got you covered.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
These big companies that are willing to alienate large swaths of customers thinking that we'll shop there anyway are making a huge miscalculation. They're setting the foundation for the resurgence of the main street sporting goods store.

OP
Cant hit em
These big companies that are willing to alienate large swaths of customers thinking that we'll shop there anyway are making a huge miscalculation. They're setting the foundation for the resurgence of the main street sporting goods store.

That would be amazing to have a locally owned sporting goods store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

willidru

WKR
Good to know I have an order of 20 jackets I needed to order for work. Guess I can find somewhere else to buy.

Not sure why any one would be surprised. REI has been in politics in the past. I remember them giving money to the occupy movement.

Murdy

WKR
Kind of wish companies would stay out of politics period. And that goes beyond the gun issue. I'd rather just be able to shop based on price, quality, and such.

Wild Bob

FNG
West of Rough Rider Country, east of the Divide
This doesn't surprise me...If I remember correctly REI doing something contary back in the 90s (or may be it was the early 2000's - time kind of running together on me) that ran against support of hunting. I quit dealing with them back then.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Well I’m sure glad Scheels is across the street from REI, no more REI for me.

Trial153

WKR
look at sporting good companies involved in BHA and TRCP. We all want companies to stay out of politics unless they step in on ourside of the issue. I guess we cant have it both way and we have to take our lumps .

boom

WKR
Kind of wish companies would stay out of politics period. .

^^this.

i also wish internet forum would stay out of politics as well.

i like to think of all you mystery people as my fake internet friends.