As a hunter, do you have a lucky charm?

boom

WKR
i kinda dont.

my friend; he once made me do u-turn to go back home to pick up the rattiest ball cap i've ever seen. his lucky cap. 15 more minutes out and i would have felt we were too far gone to do the u-turn. i cant remember if he killed anything.. it's been years, and i would assume the ballcap is tattered into dust by now.

maybe that's why i hunt like a vegetarian. i might need a bit of superstition.

you?

A North Dakota State University cap is in each of my grip and grin pictures from the last few years. I only wear it hunting so it doesn't get lost or too wore out. I also started taking a pink nalgene with me on every trip. Not too superstitious, but they have become my hunting hat and hunting nalgene and I'm to the point where I'm not gonna risk leaving them at home.

I also listen to "y'all want a single" by Korn every time I'm on my way fishing. That one is from an old college tradition. Also blast Roxette while setting up canadian geese decoys - that one is from an old high school tradition.

idig4au

WKR
I always take my late grandfather's handkerchief and use one of his old hunting socks to wrap my satellite phone in. So he goes on every hunt or trip in the mountains with me.....

cnelk

WKR
Listening to some Creedence Clearwater Revival has done me well over the years :)

My lucky rifle goes with me on every hunt and the only time I’ve ever been lucky enough to kill something is when I’ve had my lucky rifle with me....except when I’m bow hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
I had this ugly as hell light weight merino sweater. Shot my best buck with a bow, my best buck with a gun, my best turkey and my best black bear, all wearing this ugly sweater under my camo. Went to get it one season a few years ago and couldn't find it anywhere. Asked the wife if she had seen it. Yeh I threw it away a while ago, it was ugly.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry the elk teeth from a prior season currently the teeth from my 13 season with 3 six pt bulls one bull having only one bugler tooth he was so old....while idle will embrace them and talk to the wapiti spirit world 👍

Diesel

WKR
Dad gave me a Win. 30-30 open sight when I turned 12. Missed several deer with it due to buck fever as I was a good shot normally. Turned 16 and spent my hard earned money on a Ruger 30.06 with a redfield 4X and shot my first deer. The scope made me focus and I never looked back. Elk, Caribou, Deer and Bear it has done it all. That was 50 years ago and I consider that my lucky charm.

That rifle became an extension of me and that familiarity has accounted for some quick shots that I can't believe I made.

dotman

WKR
When the 2nd gen FL kanabs pant came out I picked up one in dry earth, not sure if it is lucky but I have the best luck when wearing them.

As long as we’ve hunted, it seems, we’ve relied on charms to bring us luck and meat.

Lastly, I say a prayer before each and every hunt. The prayer differs each time, but generally I thank the Lord for a day immersed in nature, ask for a bountiful season and ask that I return home safely.

All of these things have become a part of the hunting experience for me. I can’t say whether they bring me luck or success, but I can say that they bring me piece of mind. And I’ll take that any day.