Is an inch gonna make a difference ???

NO ! not talking about that !! :cool:

I am torn between two packs, I really like the EXO 3500 because of the side pockets for nalgene and poles as well as the stretch center pocket and the fact it comes with a lid but the frame is 25". The other pack is the Stone Glacier Krux EVO 3300 with a 26" frame. I am 6'5 so as the title states " Is an inch gonna make a difference? "

Thanks !

Measure your torso and find out. Kinda like asking if it will make a difference if you buy 33 or 34 size pants.

OP
S
Measure your torso and find out. Kinda like asking if it will make a difference if you buy 33 or 34 size pants.

I am more concerned with load lifter angle and if that 1 inch will be noticeable on where the weight rides, I can't go to Wal-mart and try them on so before spending 600.00 bucks I thought I might get some in sight from someone in a similar situation.

WyoElk

WKR
I’m 6’ 4” and use the Exo. I have it on it’s longest setting it dont have any issues using the load lifters. No experience with the SG.

You should also check out Seek Outside packs, which you can get different sized frame extensions, max height is 28 I believe.

Last edited:

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
I am more concerned with load lifter angle and if that 1 inch will be noticeable on where the weight rides, I can't go to Wal-mart and try them on so before spending 600.00 bucks I thought I might get some in sight from someone in a similar situation.

He is right though, you could be 6 foot of spinal cord and 5 inches of everything else.

Kidding but torso length should guide your decision pretty heavily on such a high end pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
He is right though, you could be 6 foot of spinal cord and 5 inches of everything else.

Kidding but torso length should guide your decision pretty heavily on such a high end pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the point, my inseam is 34 so I have a long torso. I actually talked to Steve Speck from EXO about this and his response was that I was going to carry a little more on my shoulders than someone with a shorter torso length with a 25" frame. I just wanted to know if anyone my size had tried both and if they noticed a difference with having an extra inch of frame length. I have looked at the SO packs as well but I don't care for the exposed frame with a grommet and bolt system to adjust frame height. I am sure it will work but not what I am looking for.

coop2424

WKR
I had the exo and really enjoyed the pack tell the first elk I packed out. Sold it very soon after and went to 26” frame and it made a huge difference with larger loads and load lifters than the exo. I am 6’5” and have 35” inseam so long torso.

OP
S
I had the exo and really enjoyed the pack tell the first elk I packed out. Sold it very soon after and went to 26” frame and it made a huge difference with larger loads and load lifters than the exo. I am 6’5” and have 35” inseam so long torso.

Good info ! Thanks

svivian

WKR
I'm 6'3" and use an exo. This last season I had a front quarter, a back quarter, and the backstraps with rib and neck meat. With all that I could still easily slide my fingers under my shoulder straps and was very comfortable. It was about a 2 mile hike out and it impressed my friend enough that he is now on the market for a high end pack.

With all that said I think that the big pack manufactures( MR, exo, kifaru, SG, Seek outside) make excellent packs and that you are splitting hairs for the most part. If you were packing out 5 elk a year I could see you needing to be picky. But for me 80% of my time I'm under 100lbs and never felt discomfort. I chose exo because the bag layout was exactly what I wanted and the frame design flexes with me making it so comfortable. I don't think you will be disappointed with either but everyone is different.

dukhunt

FNG
If it helps I’m 6’4” and have a SG Xcurve that I am in love with. I can cinch it down on the hips and put as much weight there as I like or take a little weight on the shoulders when needed. Although this was my first big game backcountry hunt season I was able to have it loaded with deer and elk and backcountry camp loads. I should also point out that I have never tried any other packs besides a Tenzing and there is no comparison between Tenzing and the high end packs.