Is fly fishing the bowhunting of fishing?

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
In the fact that both groups tend to have a lot of "elitists" who think their way is better, then yes.

I will hunt or fish with whatever method is legal for the tag that I draw. I love fishing spinners on the small streams and rivers here in NM. It takes a lot of skill and produces lots of fish.

WKR
Fly fishing for carp is truly a hunting experience. Casting to a particular fish that you have to read for body language and then executing a very good presentation is very similar to what it takes to kill something with a bow.

dotman

WKR
I’ve never had as much fun fishing as I have doing it Tenkara style, something about a super simplistic method.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if I would say it's the bowhunting of fishing, but I would say fly fishing definitely has a hunting feel to it. I grew up fishing with spinning gear and only started fly fishing about 6 years ago. I still fish with spinning gear at times (when fishing for walleyes and they are deep, etc.), but I prefer to use the fly rod whenever its practical. Fishing with a nymph under a bobber doesn't have a hunting feel to it, but when you can sight fish it definitely feels like hunting to me. When fishing with dry flies for instance, often times you will be walking the bank looking for one particular fish that is rising and then trying to make the perfect presentation to that fish without spooking it. Streamer fishing definitely has a hunting feel to it too.

Jon Boy

WKR
I like to fly fish. Mostly to watch everyone's jaw drop when I bring a full stringer up from the river with fly rod in hand. I like to eat fish too.

I find archery relaxing. I find fly fishing infuriating. Im either tying knots or untangling them. And lets not even talk about nymphing in a boat while hanging on for dear life......

P.s. its a bobber, dont try and church it up fly guys ("strike indicator") << jk

^^^ LOL ...when I'm in a flyshop (esp one I know is more "uppity" aka snobbish) I always ask about bobbers ....just to see how they react :cool:

dtrkyman

WKR
I have guided fly fishing a bit, love it but am by no means a purist. Love messing with the fly guys, I actually prefer conventional tackle for most situations but sight fishing salt water with a fly rod is amazing and casting to rising trout in a high mountain stream is a close second to that.

Any "specialty" activities have there share of snobs, but most of the true fly fisherman I have met out west are good straight up guys that love the water and mountains!

There is a spot in New Mexico that I am going to bring a spinning rod someday, just to see the guys reactions when I stick all the fish in that run!

There is a spot in New Mexico that I am going to bring a spinning rod someday, just to see the guys reactions when I stick all the fish in that run!

That’s a pretty decent distinction right there. If you’re in it to stick em all- flyfishing ain’t for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Oh it's for me, just not in that particular instance, crowded with pretentious "fly" fisherman that are primarily using "indicator" rigs anyway. All those fish get stuck constantly anyway, but somehow if I did it with spinning gear it would be a crime!

Oh it's for me, just not in that particular instance, crowded with pretentious "fly" fisherman that are primarily using "indicator" rigs anyway. All those fish get stuck constantly anyway, but somehow if I did it with spinning gear it would be a crime!

I was just being snide, or rather trying to get a rise. As one does.

As rule I am serious only on second Tuesdays and 3rd saturdays of any month though seriousness can be invoked by emergency order at any time deemed necessary or appropriate.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Catching a trout on a fly rod, on the other hand is so much more challenging and rewarding. In that sense, it is a lot like bowhunting; many get into it to increase the challenge after plain ol rifle hunting gets old.

You know.......I got into fly fishing because spin fishing just didn't seem to catch any fish. And now after bowhunting elk for many years, I can honestly say that I'm glad I got into bowhunting because (1) it's a heck of a lot more fun than rifle hunting, and (2) it's a heck of a lot easier. That's pretty much how I feel about fly fishing for trout as well.

The last couple years I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my youngest daughter to catch a fish. We've tried lures, we've tried regular bait, we've tried PowerBait......and nothing has worked at all. I end up pulling the fly rod out and hooking them and handing her the rod to reel them in. She's no good at casting, so this is the best I can do for her, but sure would be nice for her to catch something on her own.:(

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I was just being snide, or rather trying to get a rise. As one does.

As rule I am serious only on second Tuesdays and 3rd saturdays of any month though seriousness can be invoked by emergency order at any time deemed necessary or appropriate.

Me as well mostly...never get into serious debate in the web! But I do like messing with the “fly guys”

Trial153

WKR
The only good thing I can say about spin fishermen is at least they aren’t as bad Pin heads ....now those center pin guys...

wildcat33

WKR
You know.......I got into fly fishing because spin fishing just didn't seem to catch any fish. And now after bowhunting elk for many years, I can honestly say that I'm glad I got into bowhunting because (1) it's a heck of a lot more fun than rifle hunting, and (2) it's a heck of a lot easier. That's pretty much how I feel about fly fishing for trout as well.

The last couple years I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my youngest daughter to catch a fish. We've tried lures, we've tried regular bait, we've tried PowerBait......and nothing has worked at all. I end up pulling the fly rod out and hooking them and handing her the rod to reel them in. She's no good at casting, so this is the best I can do for her, but sure would be nice for her to catch something on her own.:(

Funny how that works. Ive found that some days i catch them on fly but cant buy a fish on a spinner and vice versa. Its nice to be able to switch back and forth with a guilt free conscience.

Isn’t bow fishing the bow hunting of fishing?
92f37ae17175f621c10c668791338512.jpg

0026678bd869165b39903a3832239385.jpg

b4c39d700c301dbb62650ac40fee8bb5.jpg

c75bfa6b284e8ba9f1d7094a3d4927c9.jpg

fe8cdee41b03359c82a375c5b28f41fe.jpg

This is more like “the fishing” of fishing.

The anti-destination league is currently doing everything in its power to prevent me from being flyfishing.

03ef2e9af9e33cda8defe84d5ef549a7.jpg

ChukarUp

FNG
I have always drawn the same comparison in the back of my head too. I think it is harder to learn to hunt with a bow, and harder to learn to fish with a fly rod. In my opinion, both are more challenging methods, but that doesn't mean you can't be every bit or even more successful with them.