Recommend some cool hikes/lakes/hot springs in the Southern Idaho area!

young7.3

WKR
The girlfriend and I are doing our second road trip end of May starting and ending at Salt Lake City. We will be traveling I84 to Boise, then Horseshoe bend rd to Banks Lowman rd, to Stanley. Then HWY 93 to HWY 26 to I15 back to Salt lake. I was hoping to get some recommendations of "local" or lesser known hiking destinations in the Southern Idaho area. Looking for cool day trips to lakes, hot springs, fishing, photography, etc. We only have 8 days so trying to hit the best of the best. Thanks!

Backyard

WKR
I would highly suggest making Lowman an overnight destination. The wife and I did a motorcycle trip to the west coast last year and stayed at the Southfork Lodge there in Lowman. Very nice! With a nice full restaurant and bar, cabins or real nice rooms, reasonably priced too. And within 3 & 4 miles of 2 different hot springs. I would suggest hitting the further one out (suggested by the Lodge owner)towards Stanley, I don't remember the name of it but it's right on the road/river. Way too cool, with multiple pools and waterfalls, all hot spring water that dumps into the river, we got up early and hit it with steam rolling off in the morning. You will not be disappointed.

I think it's relevant to add that the bartender at the lodge is an older local gal who is an avid elk hunter with some great stories to go with it. Needless to say, we closed the bar that night.

Last edited:
OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Thanks for the advice, backyard. I'll do a little research and find out what those hot springs are called!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirkham is right in Lowman. I'd think about hitting the Sawtooths. They're in a super gorgeous area near Stanley. Jenny Lake in the Boise National Forest and the Trinities (you'd have to hike 5-10 miles likely because the road would be snowed in) and Swanholm peak areas are really nice. The area around Jenny burned so you might want to call the FS to see what's going on there. I'd do a day hike around the Mackay area either towards the Borah Peak side or the West side into the White Clouds. Bear Valley is really pretty and the Deadwood area is fun to explore. So many options man.

IdahoElk

WKR
The girlfriend and I are doing our second road trip end of May starting and ending at Salt Lake City. We will be traveling I84 to Boise, then Horseshoe bend rd to Banks Lowman rd, to Stanley. Then HWY 93 to HWY 26 to I15 back to Salt lake. I was hoping to get some recommendations of "local" or lesser known hiking destinations in the Southern Idaho area. Looking for cool day trips to lakes, hot springs, fishing, photography, etc. We only have 8 days so trying to hit the best of the best. Thanks!

If you come through Sun Valley pm me and I'll help you out for all that you asked about, Hiking may be tough as most areas above 8k will still have snow.

It means, instead of posting it for all to see, PM it, so it can remain special and not over loaded with people.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well thats ridiculous.
Its public land and places of business.
I'm sure you aren't going to be over run by people who enjoy the outdoors as much as yourself from a couple posts anyway.
I've seen it happen numerous times here in WA. It's a very likely possibility

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well thats ridiculous.
I'm sure you aren't going to be over run by people who enjoy the outdoors as much as yourself from a couple posts anyway.

It's that kind of attitude that will make sure you don't get any more suggestions than you already have...

Broomd

WKR
Well thats ridiculous.

Is it ridiculous? This is a great site and resource, but it is a very public forum.
If a guy relates that he just shot his 6 point elk up at "Wednesday Creek" north of CDA, or that he caught sixteen 2lb. cutthroat at "Mars lake" in the Sawtooths in mid June, he's going to have company next time, that is a guarantee.

Many of us here learned long ago the best places and experiences are those that are the least publicized. It's common sense.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. By all means, if you would prefer to PM me cool destinations for the sake of secrecy please do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk