Bowhunter education question

If I have a hunter education card from Texas and can show that I’ve had a “Archery” licence (Texas and NM issued) do I still need a “bowhunter” specific hunter education class to hunt Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming or Utah, as a non-resident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
If I have a hunter education card from Texas and can show that I’ve had a “Archery” licence (Texas and NM issued) do I still need a “bowhunter” specific hunter education class to hunt Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming or Utah, as a non-resident?

I’m not 100% sure what and how different states accept other education courses. I believe Idaho accepts other education as long as it meets certain requirements. Here is a link to the Idaho online course. I believe it shows what courses are equal to it in other states. Maybe cross reference it to all the states you listed.

Official Idaho Bowhunter Safety Course - Online ID Bowhunter Certification

Hope that is a little helpful.

ssliger

WKR
Not sure of other states listed but Wyoming only requires hunter safety. No Bowhunter specific course.

To hunt in Idaho, you just need to show proof of your current state archery permit. Then all you will need to do is sign an affidavit stating you took a certified archery class thru your current state's fish & game department. At least that's all I had to do when I hunted Idaho, before becoming a resident.

colersu22

WKR
Exactly what mistertrustee said is what I did as a Wa resident hunting Idaho. IDFG was very helpful when I called them with questions and they got the affidavit approved really quick so I could buy my tags.

Nuke Man

WKR
Most states simply require a hunter ed course. Typically they accept other states. Montana and Colorado I know for sure do. They accepted my Illinois permit.

Beendare

WKR
Alaska has bowhunting specific hunter ed requirements. CO does not.

^true....for the limited archery hunt drawings.

You won't need it in Ak for something like a sitka blacktail, moose or bear hunt......they don't care whether you use a rifle or a bow....most of those seasons have all weapons lumped together anyway.