Colorado summer vacation ideas and recommendations

AdamW

WKR
Hey guys, the wife and I are planning our summer vacation for August and are sticking to Colorado. Anniversary trip and wife's work project are driving the time frame, not during archery season, don't worry. :D We've been there several times and see new things every time, so we're looking to continue expanding to new places.

We've done the Estes Park and RMNP thing a couple times, Buena Vista area, Denver, etc.

The jest of our typical vacations:

• Rent a cabin/house (we like the privacy)
  • Day hikes (main activity we do) of varied length (up to 10+ miles), primarily for scenic views but also potential wildlife viewing. We don't like to just get out of the car and take pictures and get back in the car.
  • Light DIY fishing sometimes but not a main factor.
  • Be close enough to town(s) for some good eats, coffee shops, etc. here and there.
  • Maybe a Jeep rental day.

SO! What are some places I haven't been to that has some pretty stuff to hike to and ooh and ahh over? Durango, Vail, Aspen, Ouray, Telluride? Whatcha got?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
For the tourist Ouray can be very nice, lots of stuff to do with jeep rentals. If you want an extra special dinner The Bon Ton in Ouray is one of the best restaurants in Colorado. We love the Beef Wellington. It is expensive. If you drive by The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park on your way there you should visit the south rim. It is only a few miles off of hwy 50 between Gunnison and Montrose and is one of my favorite spots in Colorado. (The fishing in the bottom is something special but it is a knuckle dragger of a hike). The views of 2000’ vertical drops along Rim Drive are fantastic.

Send me a PM with your number, I can give you quite a place that meets all of your requests in one place here in SW Colorado.

Btaylor

WKR
The wife and I are going the week before bow opener and plan to hike some class 1 and maybe a 2 14'ers. There are lots of hiking trails out of telluride. Leadville looks like another good location to base from for hiking but we haven't been there yet.

Flying the wife home early morning of the opener and I am staying and heading to the woods.

Poser

WKR
If you are considering the SW corner, Mesa Verde Ntl Park is worth checking out for the cliff dwellings. I’d plan on hiking at least 8-10 Miles to see the stuff worth seeing.

Jeep tours out of Ouray, Silverton or Telluride. You could actually visit all 3 with a rental Jeep during a short, 6 week period when the roads are open (should be earlier than usual this year). I’d have experience with off-roading before attempting to drive some of those passes though. Or you a guide. The Alpine Loop is a good one to consider, though I’d avoid weekends, especially holiday weekends. Imogene Pass as well.

Some really nice out and back day hikes out of Silverton that time of year: Ice Lake Basin is a good one, though popular. Get an early start as it’s alpine.

Early summer, you can raft (guided) down the Animas River out of Silverton. Late June can make for a wild trip in big water. You can do overnight trip that does the entire upper Animas (camped at Needleton) and then you’ll hop on the D&S NG train at Tacoma and ride back to Durango. I’d book that soon, as those get booked up and I wouldn’t count on a long season this year with such a light snow pack. There are three river outfitters that service that. If you’re looking for wildlife, mule deer tend to fawn heavily along the upper Animas so you’ll see lots of mothers and fawns, though likely 0 bucks and likely no elk as they are up in high basins. Occasional Moose sighting which is pretty new to that area and random bears (though, garbage day in any town will yield more bear sightings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ouray, silverton, and lake city! Make the alpine loop as well and plenty of things to do all along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area. My wife and I can't get enough of it. The alpine loop is on the list this summer with the new OHV.

Stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet;

Maroon Bells
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Hanging Lake Park
Garden of the Gods
Hot springs, resort or undeveloped

elkduds

WKR
Above Ouray, Yankee Boy basin road, shortish hike up Sneffels fourteener. Ridgway reservoir tailwater for fishing. Owl Creek Pass from Ridgway to edge of Big Blue wilderness, then hike Courthouse Mtn w mtn goat herd. Kebler Pass road from Paonia to Crested Butte. Hike Teocalli Mtn trail/summit. Hair raising 4WD road from Crested Butte through Devil's Punchbowl, then Marble CO, see quarry. CB is my favorite mountain town in the state. Best train ride is between Chama NM and Antonito CO.

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
Crested Butte. I live near Vail and my wife and I spend two weeks in CB every summer. Awesome hiking, fishing and off the beaten path. It is a bit of a hippie town but a very cool place. Less developed than Vail, Aspen, Breck, but great food options in comparison to other options. PM if I can help.

I would skip staying in Durango in favor of Pagosa Springs

Lots to see and do between pagosa and Montrose.

If you are squimish avoid the million dollar highway. Not for the faint of heart, although northbound isn't that bad.

Ice lakes would be a great hike. So would sneffles.

You could do a back country horseback ride and climb Wetterhorn to avoid the crowds.
Action adventure outfitters does those.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk