Which 3 States to gain PP's in?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, it being application time and close to deadlines, what are the 3 states you would apply to to gain points? I am in Colorado and am buying points for every species here, but my passion is with elk. So besides CO and OR, what other 2-3 states would you be buying points in? I'm just trying to line up my hunting future and would love to be able to have some nice hunts in these states when I'm in my late 30s to 40s and beyond.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arizona for sure. Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada each have their pros and cons. Kind of just depends on what you want trophy quality wise and how often you want to go, and how much you’re willing to spend each year for a point. Montana isn’t the wisest investment as you’re never guaranteed a LE tag. New Mexico and Idaho don’t have points systems obviously.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona is not actually on my top 3 list, nor it should be on any non-residents. They just don't have many actual tags.

oldgoat

WKR
I'm in Colorado too, can't see a reason to go anyone else you need points except for deer in Nevada, rifle hunted there years ago when I was stationed in Northern Nevada while in the Navy. I'd like to try Spring bear hunting some year maybe, spot and stalk but don't think you need points in most places for that.

Tough decision, one I have wrestled with for the last couple years. I don't have a enough disposable income to apply to every state (even if they do give refunds if not successful, its tough to have a few thousand dollars balance sitting on a CC). For me, Colorado is a no-brainer. I plan to hunt there every year or every other year with OTC tags, so might as well get points while I am at it. I was going to get into the Wyoming points game, but their tag increases and rules about Non-Res needing guides in wilderness areas irks me, so I haven't given them my money.

Arizona and Utah are my other two choices. I'm way behind in the game and may never draw a top tier unit, but I figure I could draw a decent hunt every 5-10 years. Not the cheapest to apply to, I can buy my license at the right time and get two years out of it in Utah, so that helps. I also plan on doing some OTC mule deer hunts in Arizona, so that helps me rationalize spending the money on the license to get points. I also apply to New Mexico since it's purely random.

CorbLand

WKR
It depends on what you want. If you want a big bull then I would plan on Utah or Arizona but be prepared for a long process that can be costly. Utah is the cheapest of the two but you are looking at 20 plus years before you get a top unit tag.

Wyoming would be a good one. Some of their tags are easily obtained. Plus I don’t think you have the waiting period after you draw like Utah.

Look at putting in for New Mexico and OTC options in Idaho. Good elk quantities and you can hunt every year.

OR Archer

WKR
Oregon in my opinion is a waste of your money. For any of our premium units you’re so far behind you’d never catch up, especially if you’re looking to pull a rifle tag.

Riplip

WKR
CO, WY, and MT. You can hunt every year in CO and/or MT while building points in both states. MT in particular has some great general units.

CO - You will be waiting a long time for top tier units, and with point creep you may never have access to those under current system, although I suspect that they will eventually modify this. Obviously OTC chances each year, and there are decent LE units you can hunt every 2-3 years.

WY - now takes a few points to draw even the general tag, so you could most likely hunt every 2-3 years in general units or hold out for one of the LE units, although it will take some time.

MT - Both pref points (general draw) and bonus points (LE units) available. I personally like their bonus point system as the points are squared so there is always a chance of drawing one of the LE units after you get a few points, especially for archery only units. I also like MT because of the long season on a general tag.

I always apply for New Mexico, tough draw odds but I drew one of the Gila Units my first time around so you never know.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great replies, love Rokslide for the no BS responses. My goal is to draw a descent unit ever 5-10 years. I figure with the descent amount of OTC or second choice hunts here in CO, I would be happy to be able to travel to another state every 5+ years and do something new in a Unit that presents me with a fun and exciting hunt. Not looking for 350+ bulls, just wanting to see some new country and be in some healthy elk. I've decided to apply with WY and AZ, although AZ is already past deadline this year. Since I'm also not able to shuck out $988 upfront for a MT app I'm gonna have to pass on that state. I might take that money and apply in NM and ID and take my chances there. I have 5 points in OR from living there so considering applying until I can pull a nice Roosevelt hunt on the coast, otherwise I'd agree with you on applying in OR.

Riplip

WKR
Just a heads up, Montana changed their regs last year so you can now buy bonus points and preference points without applying or fronting the app fee. Available to purchase July 1-Sept 30th. $25 for NR Bonus Point.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up, Montana changed their regs last year so you can now buy bonus points and preference points without applying or fronting the app fee. Available to purchase July 1-Sept 30th. $25 for NR Bonus Point.

Thank you, I did not know that

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in MT and still have most of my family there so I go a lot. My strategy of late has been to forego preference points for the general draw, as they almost always have leftovers so you're guaranteed to draw the general, and I buy the bonus points for the LE units. I think if you're just looking to build points I'd just buy the bonus points for LE units in MT. Really I only build points in CO and MT and I go ahead and take the chance in NM every couple years, if you pick your units and seasons correctly you can have a lot of success in NM. I choose less desirable units that still hold quality animals and we've been pretty lucky.

jm1607

WKR
IMO:

AZ & NM are the two you have to put in for no matter what..

CO & UT are super cheap if you put in for more than just Elk so there's no reason not to..

NV is tough, but not as tough as UT.. It's more expensive though.. And you "could" win any year.. Utah you can at least max point out in 10-15 years in a decent unit.. NV you're along for the ride.. I think NV gets overlooked too much.. Although 5-choices destroy everyone's odds I think if you're serious about Elk & Sheep it's a must apply to as well

WY has some "ok" elk hunts in the 3-5 points range but it has my least favorite draw system.. Point creep is even worse than CO and the random draw isn't fair at all.. They are generous with their NR allotment though.. I can't stop putting in now, it's too late.. I'm glad I have put in though.. But I guarantee the second I win a tag I'm never putting for that animal again.. Can't wait to get out the WY game!

MT just keeps nickel and diming everyone.. Each year there's some new fee.. MT is the only state I stopped applying for once starting..

I'd pass on ID as a non-resident.. The 10% cap with no guaranteed NR tags is a killer

May as well try for KY too.. It's cheap and would be the hunt of a lifetime.. Pass on PA though, the odds are like 1 in 30k or something

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
It sounds like I am just going to keep trying to get my ND resident Elk and Moose tag with 1% odds...

wapitibob

WKR
OP, a scrub unit in WY is as good or better than an east side OR otc unit. You can have a good hunt in a Gen unit if you stay away from the internet chatter units.

AZ is a no brainer when you can span 2 years with the license. Late date bow and rifle hunts are in the 6+ point range and very doable if you don't mind some cold weather.

UT is also in the mix because you can span 2 years with a license as well. Pick a unit with the best odds and figure out where the Elk are.

jm1607

WKR
".. and the random draw isn't fair at all.."

I'd love to hear your explanation

It's the only draw I know of that takes preference points and throws them out the window.. People that it's their 1st year applying having the same odds as someone who has applied for 20 years doesn't seem too fair to me.. At least with states like AZ or NV or MT you're always getting closer to your tag.. In WY, if you're a few points off max, say for Sheep, you really never get closer or better odds ever, it only goes the other direction with so many new apps.. You just have to pray you catch up to max before you die

Also, most states you can get in on the random draw in the best units.. Now your odds may be 500 to 1 or worse, but you can at least dream lol.. I put in for the Henry Mountains some years for fun.. Almost all the top units in WY give out too few tags to even give out a single NR in the random in their system (same # of tags that other states do give out a random), so you can't even try..

Last edited: