She made me proud at school!

icemanls2

FNG
I will start by saying I'm new on Rokslide. I've been on a few other forums since 06 or 07 but hadn't heard of this one. Anyways amid the new push for stores to ban sales of real guns, ammunition, and even toy guns, there have been a few debates at school. Last week my daughters high school teacher posed a question to the class. How many of you support or oppose the sale of toy guns to kids? 3 kids in the entire class supported the sale of TOY guns to kids. The guns outlined were cap guns, airsoft guns, BB/pellet guns. Of the 3 students that were FOR the sale of TOY guns, my daughter was the only female. So the teacher said i'm curious, I'd like to hear why you are for the sale of TOY guns or any guns for that matter. She stands up and says well, My whole family are shooters. We shoot for fun, sport, we hunt, and just enjoy firearms. When my brother and I were very young my father tought us gun safety, the parts of a gun, and the responsibility of holding a gun. He did so with the same types of toy guns that Walmart, Dicks, and other stores want to stop selling. We learned with a plastic gun what a stock and grip was, what a barrel was, what a chamber was, how to hold it properly, how to aim it, etc. When we learned that, he bought us an airsoft gun that shoots plastic BB's. When we showed we could handle and care for those properly, he bought us both BB guns and took us out to shoot. We had to master all of these things before he would allow us to touch a real gun. I think that is very important training that shouldn't be learned with real guns unless you prove you can safely handle a toy gun. She said the teacher looked around and then said, that is the best argument I have ever heard and I never thought of it that way. Talk about a proud dad moment! These are my 2 pride and joys.
daughter.jpg geese.jpg

Last edited:
OP
I

icemanls2

FNG
Thank you, I can't take all of the credit. My wife had a lot to do with it as well. I just can't wrap my head around the modern peoples thinking nowadays. When I was 3 or 4 years old, my grandfather had me in the gun room with him helping him reload handloads. Usually casting wadcutters for 38 and 357. My job was pulling the handle on the lubrisizer sizing and lubing the cast bullets. His gun cabinet was always open and I never thought once of ever touching anything without him with me. I knew my butt would pay for it and my time at the range would come to an abrupt halt. I don't want to start any kind of debate or anything, I just can't understand what has happened. The need for young kids to be notorious, too much time playing video games, maybe not enough time spent with the kids now? It makes me sick that my kids have to deal with this type of questioning at school and justify why they enjoy firearms.

I think there is many a dad out there that hopes their daughter says the same thing in those circumstances. Especially in front of opposition and her peers.

That takes courage and reflects a long line of good parenting. Reap what you sow.

Sincerely mean it, good job!!

Super cool! What a satisfying feeling to know that what you have instilled in your daughter has such a positive impact in her and those around her. Well done sir.

87TT

WKR
Smart kid for sure.
On a side note if toy guns created mass shooters and homicidal idiots, then we should have had massacres every day when I was growing up (50's and 60's). EVERY kid had toy guns and played war and cops and robbers. Even my girls.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Way to go man. You're teaching her right. My 5 yr old has toy guns and we also use those to teach her how to safely handle guns. They're never too young to start learning respect for firearms and how to be safe with them.