Help me pick out a scotch/cognac/bourbon

OP

2ski

WKR
Check Costco for Johnny Blue. $159 here at the local Costco
Can't buy hard stuff anywhere but a liquor store in mt. And the state is the only place that distributes to them. So any ofbthe prices given by anyone here, add anywhere up to $50

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Three bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, ha! I've never had the pleasure of enjoying the 21 yr Portwood, but I'm sure that Balvenie would be a solid bet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I definitely looked at those two and thought hard about them.

If you looked at those, you are on the right track. I’m sorry to respectfully disagree with 1/2 the posts here but I’m a minus -1 for Walker Blue. If it’s a gift and they are a scotch drinker, blue lacks originality and IMHO is more name and notirety than quality compared to others in the same price range, but if you love the taste of blue then drink away!:)

Brendan

WKR
i-vXx66D5-M.jpg

It's got an elk on the bottle... My good luck charm...

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Distiller by trade so I am loving this post, here's some of my favorites within your budget.

Peated Single Malts:
Bruichladdich Octomore 7.2
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 1815 Legacy or Cairdeas

Bourbon:
I.W. Harper 15 Year
Old Potrero by Anchor Distilling 16 year
Black Maple Hill 16 Year - If you can find it.

Whiskey:
Laws Whiskey House 4 Grain or Rye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would prefer you Cognac ,which is twice distilled French liquor and has slowly gone from spirit you might notice when glancing at the dessert menu, to something more drinkers are ordering when they're early to dinner and want to unwind.

This will help you in warming the body on a frigid night without the heft of a cocktail or beer.

NDGuy

WKR
I would personally buy 6 bottles of Maker's Mark but that's just me.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Scotch - Macallen 18/Glenlivet 21/
Bourbon - Blanton's/Booker's/Jefferson's Ocean/Willet Still Pot Reserve/Garrison Brother's Single Barrel

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
My palette isn't that refined. Straight Jim beam or leadslingers for me. Sorry no help

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Have to agree with previous posts about Balvenie portwood, the bruichladdich octomore, and dalmore 12 (the elk on the bottle is an added bonus!). And I have to agree with Dusty about the -1 on the blue label, every time I've tried it I end up feeling disappointed. It tastes bland to me, but if it's what you like go for it.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Macallan 18 for scotch, Glenmorangie 18 isn't bad either but the Macallan is better. If you like the peaty flavor than go with the Johnny Walker. I personally don't care for it though, including the blue label. Blanton's is very good as well for a bourbon.

If you want to change it up a bit. Whistle Pig has a bit of a following and some great offerings. Brekenridge in Washington has a amazing single barrel. Unless it’s not exciting enough. Locally High West has same great rare and cool special offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the WhistlePig if you are thinking outside of single malts

Whisky

WKR
How do you know a good scotch.....because you like it!
The problem is I tend to like the "good stuff"!
The Lagavulin 16 is nice and peaty.
For Bourbon: Blanton's is excellent.

You and I must be related. My top two choices in each category as well!

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
More of a bourbon guy, Elijah Craig 18 year old if you can get your hands on it. @$120 I think its better than the 23 year.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Disappointed to be late to the party as I was ready to stir the pot over the recommendations and offer some counters. :D

Hope you like the Midleton and all that vanilla!

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 34
OP

2ski

WKR
Disappointed to be late to the party as I was ready to stir the pot over the recommendations and offer some counters. :D

Hope you like the Midleton and all that vanilla!
So educate me a little. Because I know in like a peaty Scotch. Tell me a little about these. I want to expand my horizons.