Help me pick out a scotch/cognac/bourbon

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Not a Scotch guy personally, and my suggestion is a whiskey, but Jack Daniels Sinatra is excellent. Not like regular Jack Daniels at all, much smoother with a better overall flavor. I'm more of a bourbon guy myself, and the Sinatra is the best whiskey I've personally tasted. Only seen it once, but I'd buy it again if I see it, just to have more. Right around $150.

Scottyboy

WKR
For bourbon, you won’t find a single bottle for $200, at retail. Sure, you might find a Elijah Craig 18yr by accident for 125-140, you might find a Kentucky owl etc but more than likely you will get 2-4 solid daily drinkers for that price. Just depends where you are located and what your distribution looks like for your state to see what bottles may or may not be available to you.

Your best bet is buy something you think looks fun (ie; has a elk on the bottle). opinions on bourbon will make your head spin. Some people like wheaters, some don’t. Some don’t mind sourced juice, some do. (This ramble could go on and on..)

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
So educate me a little. Because I know in like a peaty Scotch. Tell me a little about these. I want to expand my horizons.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lagavulin 16 was mentioned earlier but I would recommend the 12 CS (cask strength) over it. They're using their better casks for the latter (and other "limited editions") while the former is slipping in quality.

Speaking of slipping in quality, my recent bottle of Ardbeg Corryvrecken is quite frankly horrible. It's nothing like the one I purchased 2 or 3 years ago. This echo's Serge's recent review on Whiskyfun.com. I don't always agree with his reviews (his personal preferences don't mirror my own) but he's a very experienced reference. He also downgraded the Ardbeg Uigedail so beware this also. The standard 10 seems to be holding up if you want an entry-level smoky/peaty experience. If you want really good Ardbeg without spending a fortune, I'd strongly consider the Compass Box No Name.

For Laphroaig I really like the 10 CS. Others not so much. General consensus is to avoid some of these newer NAS (non-age statement) releases like the plague. I'd really like to find an older IB (independent bottling) since they seem to be well regarded.

Being a Springbank fanboy (see previous pic), I'm a huge fan of the Longrow Red Port and Longrow Rundlets and Kilderkens if you can find them. Longrow is produced in the same distillery and marketed as their smoky/peaty offering (standard Springbank can also have a bit of smoke). The 18 is terrific but not as smoky. I've not yet tried the standard Longrow.

Official bottlings of Bowmore are sub-par, IB's generally are superior.

Port Charlotte is peaty/smoky Bruichladdich and are worth trying (like their Islay Barley in particular). Same with Octomore's but more $$$.

I've limited experience with Caol Ila but again consensus is that IB's are solid. Compass Box Flaming Heart (last edition) has a lot of Caol Ila and is very good.

Talisker 10 is solid and I don't mind the Storm if you can find it for 30 bucks. I'd avoid some of their more spendy NAS offerings.

Ledaig 18 is superb if you like some funk with your smoke and peat.

Let me know if I can elaborate further.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 39
OP

2ski

WKR
That's awesome information. Thank you.

So say I wanted to try something that wasn't an islay, and something that wouldn't break the bank. What would you suggest? I like the peaty stuff but want to see what something else is like.

Lagavulin 16 was mentioned earlier but I would recommend the 12 CS (cask strength) over it. They're using their better casks for the latter (and other "limited editions") while the former is slipping in quality.

Speaking of slipping in quality, my recent bottle of Ardbeg Corryvrecken is quite frankly horrible. It's nothing like the one I purchased 2 or 3 years ago. This echo's Serge's recent review on Whiskyfun.com. I don't always agree with his reviews (his personal preferences don't mirror my own) but he's a very experienced reference. He also downgraded the Ardbeg Uigedail so beware this also. The standard 10 seems to be holding up if you want an entry-level smoky/peaty experience. If you want really good Ardbeg without spending a fortune, I'd strongly consider the Compass Box No Name.

For Laphroaig I really like the 10 CS. Others not so much. General consensus is to avoid some of these newer NAS (non-age statement) releases like the plague. I'd really like to find an older IB (independent bottling) since they seem to be well regarded.

Being a Springbank fanboy (see previous pic), I'm a huge fan of the Longrow Red Port and Longrow Rundlets and Kilderkens if you can find them. Longrow is produced in the same distillery and marketed as their smoky/peaty offering (standard Springbank can also have a bit of smoke). The 18 is terrific but not as smoky. I've not yet tried the standard Longrow.

Port Charlotte is peaty/smoky Bruichladdich and are worth trying (like their Islay Barley in particular). Same with Octomore's but more $$$.

I've limited experience with Caol Ila but again consensus is that IB's are solid. Compass Box Flaming Heart (last edition) has a lot of Caol Ila and is very good.

Talisker 10 is solid and I don't mind the Storm if you can find it for 30 bucks. I'd avoid some of their more spendy NAS offerings.

WHAT, Four Roses all the way down on the bottom shelf!! Blasphemy!

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome information. Thank you.

So say I wanted to try something that wasn't an islay, and something that wouldn't break the bank. What would you suggest? I like the peaty stuff but want to see what something else is like.

You are very welcome.

IMHO Springbank 10 is the best value whisky out there, Islay or not.

If you want to add an "e" to that spelling, I really love Green Spot for an Irish at about the same price.

I'm much less qualified to speak bourbon but I really like Eagle Rare at under $30.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
WHAT, Four Roses all the way down on the bottom shelf!! Blasphemy!

Well to be honest, much of the organization here is based on which bottle fits on which shelf. I have a few bottles (Compass Box, High West) that don't fit at all since they're so tall.

I'm not a bourbon guy but this bottle of Four Roses was a real let-down based on what I've heard. I hope it was just a one-off but it's far behind my Eagle Rare and probably also behind the Wyoming single-barrel sitting next to it.

OP

2ski

WKR
You are very welcome.

IMHO Springbank 10 is the best value whisky out there, Islay or not.

If you want to add an "e" to that spelling, I really love Green Spot for an Irish at about the same price.

I'm much less qualified to speak bourbon but I really like Eagle Rare at under $30.
I agree on the eagle rare. Kind of my go to.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the eagle rare. Kind of my go to.

Agreed, Eagle Rare is delicious and a bargain at $30. Another good one is Henry McKenna Single Barrel. It's a 10 yr Bottled in Bond you can find for around $35. Very good and a great value.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR

Where do you buy all these bottles? I didn't see spring bank 10 for sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you buy all these bottles? I didn't see spring bank 10 for sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hmm.... The Springbank 10 should be generally well available even in generalist stores like Total Wine, Bevmo, etc. Total Wine in Olympia (near where I think you are?) shows it for $79. :eek:

This store also has the Laphroaig, Port Charlotte, and Talisker I mentioned.

Some of the other bottles listed are more obscure and likely to show up in a specialty liquor shop or a dark, dusty corner somewhere. My best "find" so far was a bottle of Ardbeg Ardbog (Feis Ile festival special bottling from 2013) in Casper, WY.