Help me pick out a scotch/cognac/bourbon

2ski

WKR
I need a gift of one of these. In around the $200 range. Any ideas?

We had a great discussion a year or so ago about bourbon and scotch. Hopefully the are some Roksliders that can help me out with this.

My favorite Bourbon is Booker's I think it's around 95 $ for a 1/5 here... good stuff ! My pockets aren't deep enough for a 200.00 bottle of booze but I would definitely try it ! :cool:

Ray

WKR
Aberlour A’Bunadh | Aberlour Whisky This is my favorite sipping whisky. Here in AK it is fairly "cheap" ranging from $85 to $95 depending on the store and town taxes.

Aberlour 18 | Aberlour Whisky One of these days i will pony up some real money and get a bottle of this older stuff. Runs about $120 to $130 here.

What I have noticed with the Alberlour style is that there are few medicinal tones to the flavor. Too many traditional scotch whiskies taste like some kind of cough syrup to me. Fairly harsh and bitter. Reminds me of the old GI Gin triaminic stuff my dad made us use in the 1970's.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Johnny Walker Blue Label....Delicious with a charred oak barrel finish

+4 for Johnny Walker Blue. Great scotch, and typically way out of my price range. You have given yourself an ample budget though, so go for it!

Pro953

WKR
If you want to change it up a bit. Whistle Pig has a bit of a following and some great offerings. Brekenridge in Washington has a amazing single barrel. Unless it’s not exciting enough. Locally High West has same great rare and cool special offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

2ski

WKR
Is the blue label a blended or single malt?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Bourbon: Eagle Rare 17yr, Weller 12yr Wheated

Scotch: Oban 18yr, if you can find it MacKinlay's Shackleton, the story behind Shackleton make is worthwhile.

Jeremy

OP

2ski

WKR
I've had the eagle rare 17. Tough to find. I had it at our whiskey bar in Bozeman. First one to get a pour off the bottle. It was....$114 for my double.

I had a glass of Johnny Walker Blue for the first time this past weekend. It was excellent. For the price I was expecting it to be a let down, it wasn't. Yes, it's a blend. The only other scotch I've had approaching the $200 price range is Macallan 18. While very good, I actually think I prefer the 12.

Midleton Very Rare is the most expensive bottle I've bought to date. It's a fantastic Irish Whisky. I believe it's about $140. Other than those, all my bottles are sub $100 with my favorite Oban 14 hovering around $70.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
How do you know a good scotch.....because you like it!
The problem is I tend to like the "good stuff"!
The Lagavulin 16 is nice and peaty.
For Bourbon: Blanton's is excellent.

OP

2ski

WKR
I had a glass of Johnny Walker Blue for the first time this past weekend. It was excellent. For the price I was expecting it to be a let down, it wasn't. Yes, it's a blend. The only other scotch I've had approaching the $200 price range is Macallan 18. While very good, I actually think I prefer the 12.

Midleton Very Rare is the most expensive bottle I've bought to date. It's a fantastic Irish Whisky. I believe it's about $140. Other than those, all my bottles are sub $100 with my favorite Oban 14 hovering around $70.
I went with the Middleton and the orphan barrel rhetoric.

If they are a big single malt scotch drinker a The Balvenie Portwood 21 year will be very welcome to anyone right at $200. Yamazaki 12year is a great curve ball that really catches people off guard runs about $150.

OP

2ski

WKR
If they are a big single malt scotch drinker a The Balvenie Portwood 21 year will be very welcome to anyone right at $200. Yamazaki 12year is a great curve ball that really catches people off guard runs about $150.
I definitely looked at those two and thought hard about them.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Check Costco for Johnny Blue. $159 here at the local Costco