Suggestions for food prep chef / kitchen knife or knives

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking for a decent quality knife to prep vegetables and chicken. I'm doing a lot more cooking since I have adopted a new healthier diet plan and need a good knife or two. Not looking at super high end but good quality kitchen knives.

Thanks!

I really like victorinox boning and fillet knives for anything meat related. I'm sure they have something that would do well enough for veggies too.

Poser

WKR
Mundial makes high carbon steel knives out of Brazil which the chef knives only cost about $40 and are sufficient quality for any household and better quality that most generic restaurants have.

I worked in a craft butcher shop for awhile and we all used F. Dick knives for meat cutting. Carbon steel out of Germany. Surprisingly affordable. I have a boning knife and a scimitar which together were less than $100. Wusthoff and Hinkle are both way overrated and overpriced. Their high end lines are quality but super inflated prices because they make great wedding gifts. Their low end lines are overpriced junk these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Can't beat Forschner Victorinox for extremely sharp knives at an affordable price. Easy to sharpen as well. I would get one of their chef knives, a boning knife and a paring knife. A lot of bbq teams in Kansas City that compete nationally use these knives.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the victorinox for the money. You can get lots of varieties on Amazon, santuko, chef knife in different sizes, boning, paring, fillet.... global knifes also a solid bet. Get yourself a good honing steel and maintain that edge.

MAndrews

FNG
Good ole Dexter Russell's with the white handles get the most use in my kitchen. They're not really high end but they take and hold an edge reasonably well and they're cheap compared to Henkel's and such. Look in commercial kitchens and see what they're using.....

I love my Wusthof Classic chef's knife. I personally liked the heavier, solid feel of the german knives over the light, delicate feel of the Japanese knives.

I have two cheaper Victorinox knives (slicing blade and fillet blade) for butchering.

Good suggestions all. For sharpening it's hard to beat these two different sharpening kits. Not a single butcher, pairing, pocket, or hunting knife in my house is not anything if it's not razor sharp. I could never get a nice edge using various sharpeners such as stones, cross sticks, or anything else. My buddy uses a Work sharp system on his kitchen knives and he said that the edge doesn't last as long for some reason when compared to me sharpening his knives with my Lansky knife sharpening kit. For about $70.00 total you will have a set that will sharpen knives for years and years.

Deluxe 5-Stone Knife Sharpening System | Lansky

Super "C" Clamp | Knife Sharpening Accessories | Lansky Sharpeners Must have item to go with the basic kit. Makes it a lot simpler, safer, and faster using the system with this C-clamp.

Now the KME is a system that I believe would do just a touch better job if that's possible, but it's a bit more money too. I may have purchased this if I did not already buy the Lansky system.

KME Precision Knife Sharpening System

Knife Sharpening System Accessory Base Like the Lansky if I was getting this system I would also get the base for the same reasons.

Akicita

WKR
Victorinox 46135US2 7-Piece Knife Set. We buy this set for all of our Ranch cooks and meat processors in our slaughter house. I use them in my kitchen and they meet all my expectations for a good kitchen knife set. Around $125.00 for the full set.

Beendare

WKR
I have owned a few in my lifetime.

I don't think you can beat the Mercer line of knives. I was going to spend big bucks on a set when I was researching these- glad I didn't these are awesome and everyone that uses them comments on them.

Rated 5 stars at a restaurant supply house

I have the Renaissance....but I've got friends that have the cheaper line and they are good too
Commercial Knife Set | Professional Knife Set

wyosteve

WKR
If you're not planning on cutting through bone, consider a ceramic bladed knife. Never needs sharpening and reasonable in cost.

I got a Shun chefs knife as a house warming present, I love that knife! It’s razor sharp. I also have a complete set of JA Heinkles and love those too. Hold their edge extremely well.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not planning on cutting through bone, consider a ceramic bladed knife. Never needs sharpening and reasonable in cost.

Actually they do end up needing sharpening. I get a few from customers that want me to sharpen them. I have to use diamond to sharpen them but they do stay sharp a long time.

dtrkyman

WKR
Wusthof is great...wife just got a great deal on a global...stupid sharp but the 10 degree edge isn’t the most durable.

adamm88

WKR
Kitchen knives are as personal as hunting boots, packs and camo and have a wide range of costs.

I would look at fujiwara Fkh and FHM series, a petty and gyuto(chef knife) will do 99% of everything you ask it to do. The one series is stainless and the other carbon, I work as a chef and use the carbon knives on a daily basis. These knives run under $100 per knife and will last a lifetime with good care.

Victorinox is another good option. My boning knives are all victorinox, i think they are good knives for the money. the chef knives are thicker than the Japanese knives but still will do what you ask them to do. These run $15-$40 a piece and most people would be satisfied with what they do.

I would steer away from the European knife brands like wusthof or henkels, the victorinox uses the same steel and are 1/3 of the price. Iv owned 3-4000 dollars worth of kitchen knives trying what i like and what i dont like, My work kit is pretty much made up of victorinox and Fujiwara knives, there are days that i cut more with my knives than most people do in a year.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some butcher knifes from Victorinox recently and really like them. I got a 10" butcher and 6" boning knife.

For a chef's knife, I have been using a Cold Steel Chef's knifes for years. For about $30, the Cold Steel is hard to beat. The first one I had lasted over 10 years. When the handle started to come apart, I contacted Cold Steel to see if they could fix it. I was willing to pay to have them fix it if necessary, but they simply sent me a new knife for free. That was 10 years ago, so 20 years using their knife. I see that they now have a commercial series 12" chef's knife, so I may order one.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I ordered a couple of the Victorinox knives-8 inch and 5 inch chef knives. I'll put them to the test as soon as I get them.

This gets me to thinking about a new sharpening system. I have the Sharpmaker and various stones but I might look at getting the KME for broadheads and knives.

One thing leads to another...and eventually to your wallet.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I ordered a couple of the Victorinox knives-8 inch and 5 inch chef knives. I'll put them to the test as soon as I get them.

This gets me to thinking about a new sharpening system. I have the Sharpmaker and various stones but I might look at getting the KME for broadheads and knives.

One thing leads to another...and eventually to your wallet.

Thanks again!

Check out the Russian sharpening system on Wranglerstar’s YouTube channel. It’s a sweet set up but pretty pricey. Similar to the wicked edge style sharpeners.