Oilfield? Other occupation?

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Michigan and currently work in the north eastern region of the country, PA and NY, however I am looking for work out west. The wife and I will be moving that way in 2019 and would Like to get a leg up, I’ve been in the oil and gas industry for 6 years and looking to further my career west, preferably on a drilling rig. Any rocksliders in that field (or other labor intensive fields) that could
Point me in the right direction?!

Thanks, Tim

Fitzwho

WKR
What have you been doing for the last 6 years? Do you have a college degree?

About 50% of the work going on in the Oilfield is in West Texas and New Mexico in the Permian and Delaware Basins. The main problem in places like Midland right now is a serious shortage on housing, so even apartments are crazy expensive and buying a house right now is absolutely stupid expensive.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Michigan and currently work in the north eastern region of the country, PA and NY, however I am looking for work out west. The wife and I will be moving that way in 2019 and would Like to get a leg up, I’ve been in the oil and gas industry for 6 years and looking to further my career west, preferably on a drilling rig. Any rocksliders in that field (or other labor intensive fields) that could
Point me in the right direction?!

Thanks, Tim

Also from Michigan, but live in western ND oilfields. I work in sales out here but there are a lot of opportunities here for rig hands and all sides of the oilfield. Also some great pheasant hunting, good archery mule deer and whitetail opportunities. The winters aren't for everyone but the money is great, and the rent costs have come back down to normal (700-1200 for a 2-3 bedroom apt)

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
And don't let anybody fool you, ND is not flat and boring. You go into the badlands and it's endless maze of canyons and coulees and you realize how amazing they are.

I did a little oilfield work in Colorado a few years ago right about the time it tanked around here. The company I worked for had about 12 rigs that we serviced when I started, it was two when I left. It seems like the industry has come back since then though based on my observation of new rigs going up. I would look into oilfield surveying, it sounds like a cakewalk compared to the civil engineering surveying that I got into since then (which isn't all that complicated). I always worked labor intensive jobs in the past and I've really appreciated the transition to thinking more and grunting less.

Drilling rig as in roughneckin?

Be careful for what you wish for haha

There's a hell of a lot easier and better paying jobs out there.

What do you do in the patch currently?

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
Based on my experiences I would highly recommend finding a trade or other decent paying job, especially union if coming all the way to California ( not sure if you are). But I spent the first part of my life chasing rigs from California to offshore platforms to Texas. Decent money but truly not much more than anywhere else compared to what you spend to get there!! And that’s considering my flights to Texas we’re paid for. When you get older the time with children is very important. And the hard labor that was easy is not so easy!! Considering these days where life goes well past your 80s why be broke down after 45. And rigs will do it!! Oil will do it!! Find a trade and go union and hunt hard. Mind you I only can tell you form my experience. Live the dream!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
I live and work in the northwestern ND oil field. It's not booming like it was a few years ago but there are very good paying jobs still available up here. If you were to work for a drilling and completion company you could live further west and just stay up here during your hitch. Downfall of that line of work is it's somewhat inconsistent. Seems like a lease operator position would be a decent job for someone that wanted stable work but still wanted to get their hands dirty. The outdoor activities are pretty good up here and the fishing can be amazing. Other options would be Colorado, Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, and California. North Dakota would probably pay more than the other but then you have to deal with the brutal winters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
X2 what dble07 said. Work towards the downstream side of oil/gas if possible, less likely to get laid off. I live in Alaska and we've been hit hard last few years on projects being delayed or even cancelled. Contract companies agreeing to wage freezes and other concessions. I used to work on the Slope but now I'm in Valdez and love it. The Dakotas are probably your best oportunity to have a stable good/great job in our industry. my .02

amp713

WKR
I live in Utah and work in the oilfield. It's just starting to pick back up here, in 2016 I got laid off. By that time I got laid off they had let go of over 1k people in 4 different lay offs. I'm back to that same company, i work 8 days on then get 6 days off. Beats a rig everyday of the week. Colorado, new Mexico, Texas, the Dakota's, Montana all have oilfield.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Worked in the WY oil industry for a few years before the crash, but saw the writing on the wall and found something before getting laid off. The pay is very good, but the culture/work environment is poor compared to other industries. The problem with the boom and bust cycle is that your buying a house at the high, then get laid off, and are trying to sell at the low. Also, companies seem to "involuntary transfer" their employees to TX & ND a lot, I just got tired of worrying if I'd have a job the next week.

4ester

WKR
Lots of oilfield here where we work and play.

Stay away from the drilling side, seems to be boom and bust and you will be kicking rocks down the road at some point.

Production (pumping) seems to be pretty steady, although it also seems like the fields are sold off at a regular interval so there is turnover when changing companies.

Mid-stream and Processing seem to be a lot more steady, but nothing is safe when the prices fall.

Good Luck in your endeavor.

xajoles

FNG
Lots of oilfield here where we work and play.

Stay away from the drilling side, seems to be boom and bust and you will be kicking rocks down the road at some point.

Production (pumping) seems to be pretty steady, although it also seems like the fields are sold off at a regular interval so there is turnover when changing companies.

Mid-stream and Processing seem to be a lot more steady, but nothing is safe when the prices fall.

Good Luck in your endeavor.

futureon
Ive been working in the oil and gas industry for over 12 years now. I was in office management/field sales with a downhole tool company that went under for a few years. Im now back in the field as a Coil Tubing sup and I am absolutely hating it. Especially nightshifts and nighttime winter rig moves. I want out. Ive hurt myself more than enough times to be offered the safety position but cant quite snag it haha.

What courses did you guys take to get into safety or other office jobs. What other industries are you enjoying too? I am definitely done with nightshifts, the moneys great but not worth it anymore. Got a baby on the way I don't want to miss out on and a body thats getting the absolute shit beaten out of it.

I will happily take a 50% paycut to get out of the field on a permanent basis. I don't mind visiting site or doing other field calls.

Last edited:
Ive been working in the oil and gas industry for over 12 years now. I was in office management/field sales with a downhole tool company that went under for a few years. Im now back in the field as a Coil Tubing sup and I am absolutely hating it. Especially nightshifts and nighttime winter rig moves. I want out. Ive hurt myself more than enough times to be offered the safety position but cant quite snag it haha.

What courses did you guys take to get into safety or other office jobs. What other industries are you enjoying too? I am definitely done with nightshifts, the moneys great but not worth it anymore. Got a baby on the way I don't want to miss out on and a body thats getting the absolute shit beaten out of it.

I will happily take a 50% paycut to get out of the field on a permanent basis. I don't mind visiting site or doing other field calls.

As mentioned in the post inserted into your post, being a Lease Operator would be the way to go. Career opportunities would be Production Team Lead and then eventually a Production Supervisor/Manager.

Natural gas will be around more long term than oil on a consumption basis. I believe it will be the transition bridge for power generation along with its use for heat and the manufacture of products from it.

Environmental drilling rarely goes overnight Still needs some travel but usually 10/4. Sales and pricing is usually very little field days. "Tool pusher" is what the local guys are calling the field supervisor if there's more than one rig on a job. Most of the H&S guys I work with are degreed and certified. I have seen several crews switch back and forth between environmental and oil depending on the price of oil, so making a contrarian move might be able to get you the position you want instead of getting the pay you would otherwise get.

11boo

WKR
I was never fond of being anywhere near a drilling or work over rig. See if you can find a job fit in the field with some usable skills.
Plenty of money and work out there. I went in on our gas boom as a electrician from the IBEW. Never went back to the union, doubled then tripled my old pay scale. You could probably get a start in well pad automation, I brought dozens of guys in doing that. Work your way up, get that J man license and the world is yours.

Been in the oil industry for over 20 years. Worked in several areas of Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. The Powder River Basin in Wyoming is growing and should be plenty of opportunities in the coming months.