Down deer question

elkyinzer

WKR
Depends on the situation and states' laws, but knowingly leaving a dead deer to rot is a far worse ethical sin than a stealth extraction mission in my book. Similarly not allowing a neighbor onto one's property to recover a dead animal is just being a POS human being.

Murdy

WKR
in Minnesota we can "trespass" without permission to retrieve wounded game (or to retrieve your hunting dog), but must leave if asked to do so.

never had a problem with a landowner asking us to leave if we do not ask beforehand nor have we had someone deny us the chance to retrieve said game if we ask before going onto the private property. the only thing we have encountered is "...can you please wait 30 minutes, Billy is still on his morning/afternoon sit, let's have some coffee and then you can go out..."

i guess as the phrase goes we are "Minnesota nice"

Just wondering, if the land is actually posted, can you still enter or does that count as being asked to leave?

Scottyboy

WKR
Just wondering, if the land is actually posted, can you still enter or does that count as being asked to leave?

That’s where our regulations get murky. For starters, rarely do people properly post ie; name, signature etc (at least in the area I roam) I believe we can, without a firearm, enter private property without permission.

It does state specifically “can enter, without permission to retrieve....when not posted”

And then the next line states you can enter, without a firearm, but does not say “if posted, and without firearm”

I’ve never had a problem posted or not, people always seem to be reasonable if you explain what happened..respect and sits they have going on etc. but, the places I hunt near that are posted...are not posted according to the ways the Minnesota DNR says you have to post, do I say screw that and trespass because it’s not posted properly? No, but I can see an argument for those that do.

I’m sure this is a much bigger issue out west, this is always the last thing I worry about here...usually it’s opening morning that concerns us most with all the idiots and our short gun season