For you folks born before 1960...

I have a question, did you attend your 40 year high school reunion and if so...did you enjoy it or did it suck? I know none of my classmates are on this forum so this is a safe space for me to ask. <g> To me the idea of spending an evening with a bunch of people I haven't seen (or am likely to even recognize or remember) in 40 years, reciting my marital status, number of kids/grandkids and what I do for a living and then having to listen to them repeat their stuff back to me sounds like agony. Then there's the classmates you may have conflicts with (or hooked up with at the 5 year reunion and never called) making the possibility for an uncomfortable evening even more probable. And then the idea of dragging my spouse along to meet a bunch of people neither of us actually know or will see again as we act all nice and comfortable...sounds like torture for my wife. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong or not seeing the bright side but the whole event seems like a potential pain in the ass. And I was somewhat popular in school, had a humorous column in the school paper and people remember me but I don't remember them. Happens a little too often (living in a smallish beach town). I'll be at the hardware store and some vaguely familiar guy says "Hi Bruce, how ya been?" I have no game face so I reply, "Uhhh...do I know you?" He gives me a name and I have to pretend to remember, make small talk and get out as quickly as possible.

So if you have any experience with this, please chime in. I'm thinking this is one event I can skip without regretting it. I can't think of a single reason to attend. Nobody I wanna see and if there was, odds are they wouldn't be there anyway. I know it'll be loaded with 58 yr old divorcees...I've seen their comments on the reunion Facebook page. LOL

13d799efeb514e4b594cbf083c1ed352.jpg

Diesel

WKR
I did not attend the 40th, but may do 50th in 2020. Several have passed since the 40th, some I really liked but rarely came in contact with.

The wife is from the same class and she really tips the scale if we go or not. Surprisingly most of the women still looked good but I'm not in the market for one.

The kids, job, what are you doing, health thing is a pain as I could not care less. It just feels like an obligation if you stayed relatively local.

Nothing changed for me cause I didn't go to the last one. So, I'm no help Bruce.

Fixitman

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t Associate with most the people then why would I want to now. I was basically an outcast raced motocross hunted and fished I never got into ball sports so we would have nothing incommon I’d rather stay home and go on a training hike

CorbLand

WKR
I was born well after the 60’s but I will chime in. I can understand how they use to be fun and exciting to meet people from your past all over again. See what they are up to, kids, grandkids, jobs, etc. Now with the invention of Facebook you can keep up to date with them every day. I think that’s what has changed. I have no desire to go to mine. Didn’t really like many of them anyways and the ones that I did, I can keep in contact with them easily now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I remember getting my 30 year reunion letter five years ago. The schedule of events.......Friday night, bonfire with kegs down at the river bottom. Saturday........meet at the Backyards Bands concert with the other 10k idiots that aren't part of the reunion. Seriously? No thanks, I'm not 18 anymore.

The dumbass’s scheduled my 30th for opening day of deer season so obviously I was not able to attend.

I’m still good friends with many of my classmates. Apparently a a lot of folks asked about me. As maybe the last guy without a Facebook account I’m sort of known as the mysterious mountain man. Perfect.

Bruce, if you do decide to go I’d bet you have a lot more fun then you’d think. This past Christmas I dragged a friend out to a get together who hadn’t seen our old crew in over a decade. He was like just a couple of beers and we go. Around midnight he’s all like “I love y’all man,” and “I’m so glad you dragged my ass out here, we need to do this every year.”

Mosby

WKR
Nope. Hated high school. As an example, we couldn't have dances because of racial fights. Had to worry about getting jumped in stairwells. My best friend from high school drank himself to death 20 years later. Nothing to go back for.

elkduds

WKR
My dad goes to his high school reunion every other year. He is 85,and his high school only had about 40 students to start w. I went to my 20th, nobody I had seen in 15 years or wanted to see, never been to another. Sounds like a good weekend for fishing.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Thanks everyone...I'm not an oddball after all. Lost some good friends (well, I thought they were good friends) because I voted for and support Trump. Seems a growing percentage of the population cannot agree to disagree anymore, gotta demonize those who don't share their view. I find my tight group of friends sufficient. If you have people that will come to your aid when you need, THOSE are friends. People on FB are usually not those people. I would like to send a hologram message to the reunion though...offer up a monumental toast in absentia. LOL

If I can think up a proper prank, I might go that route.

Last edited:

blackdawg

WKR
It’s your responsibility to visit those poor souls and give them some entertainment imho. An unforgettable prank on all of them would be appropriate . Then you need to share a thread on rokslide about it and lmao

OP
Where's Bruce?
It’s your responsibility to visit those poor souls and give them some entertainment imho. An unforgettable prank on all of them would be appropriate . Then you need to share a thread on rokslide about it and lmao

I thought about renting one of those fat man suits and dressing up like a 500lb Col. Sanders, having the make-up artist make me look 80 yrs old with a bald head and shortly after arriving, stuff my face, fake a choking and have some Paramedic friends come haul my dead ass away. Maybe return as a bearded server with appetizers and listen to everyone's chatter for a bit. Later I can post before & after pics on FB.

Last edited: